When a character winks, there's an audible "DING" sound, like that of a metal triangle, to accompany it. It's mostly done in North American cartoons, but it's been seen in anime and even live action.
Related to Squeaky Eyes
; see also Twinkle Smile
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Awesomely done by Patrick Colasour in Gundam 00 to a girl he was making out with.
- One Piece: DEATH WINK
- That's not a Wink Ding, it's a Wink Don!
- When Boa Hancock wishes Luffy luck in his voyage to Fishman Island, she winks and a star comes out. When the okamas Sanji was stuck with do the same and the star breaks.
- Done by Freddy at the end of Freddy vs. Jason.
- There's a hilarious version of this in the film Hot Fuzz. Timothy Dalton gives a wink, and a cha-ching sound plays. It's partly the fact that his character is a grocery store manager, but it's mostly a joke by the filmmakers about how he's one of the big stars, as well as to draw attention to the fact that he looked right at the camera.
- Done by Uma Thurman at the end of the second set of closing credits of Kill Bill Vol. 2
- Heard at the end of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (and the shorts that it was compiled from) when the stuffed Pooh doll winks.
- Done by Dexter at the end of the opening credits.
- Barney in the How I Met Your Mother episode "The Playbook", at the end of each scenario from said playbook.
- There's one by Brandon in the Fringe episode "Brown Betty".
- Used on, of all things, the nature program Mutant Planet, when a male honey possum briefly closed one eye as the narrator explained the evolutionary advantage conferred by this mouse-sized marsupial's (very!) large set of testicles.
- Every time Dokko Jin winks in the Korean Series Best Love
- Dean has one in the Supernatural episode "Monster Movie".
- The Todd in this Scrubs clip.
- In Doctor Who, a very subtle one occurs when the Eleventh Doctor winks at Osgood in "Day of the Doctor".
- This happens to be a trademark of Barney (the dinosaur). He winks with a twinkle in his eye after he turns back into a stuffed animal at the end of each episode.
- Celes gives one of these in Final Fantasy VI after being captured by Setzer, presumably to remind the player that things are going exactly as planned. Characters wink several times in the game, but this may be the only audible one.
- Done multiple times in Bayonetta, pretty much ALWAYS during a flashback showing how a character(or characters) pulled off an awesome escape from what looked like certain death. Gets ridiculous in one scene, where it looks like Jeanne killed Luka and Cereza... But Luka swung them to safety. Mid-swing, we get a Wink Ding from Luka, another from Cereza... Then another from Chesire, Cereza's kitty doll. from his bandaged eye, no less!
- Used in Jimmy Two-Shoes.
- An especially silly one in the Spongebob episode that debuted Mermaidman and Barnacleboy.
Spongebob: Wow...Mermaidman and Barnacleboy.
Patrick: It's too bad they're old.
Spongebob: What do you mean, Patrick? Old people are the greatest! They're full of wisdom and experience...
(Cut to a live-action old man, who winks and gives a thumbs-up.)
- At the ends of numerous episodes of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and most of the Sonic Sez segments, Sonic makes an audible wink to the camera.
- Grandpa on The Simpsons showed at the DMV that his left eye is his "winking eye". Cue perfectly executed wink.
Selma: I'll give you your license if you promise to never do that again.
- Happened several times on The Ren & Stimpy Show.
- Happens in the Woody Woodpecker cartoon A Fine Feathered Frenzy. Gorgeous Gal traps Woody Woodpecker in a dungeon room that is a part of her mansion. With her beautiful voice she calls out to her "Baaaabyyyy!" The crow who is much larger and older than the Woodpecker is wearing a white wedding dress. There is a priest on hand waiting to marry them. Gorgeous Gal completes her marriage proposal by giving the horrified Woodpecker a lingering wink with her right eye and a ding is heard.
- Happens in a few episodes of Code Lyoko, usually with Aelita. Only one time did Aelita wink and a ding was not heard.