Archie's here. Betty's here. Veronica, too. Reggie's here. And here comes Jughead, and Hot Dog too!
This Filmation series on CBS was based on the popular comic books, chronicling the comic misadventures of Archie Andrews and his friends in the town of Riverdale.One element in the TV series not previously featured in the comics was that Archie led a bubble gum rock quintet: He and Reggie were guitarists, Betty was the tambourinist, Veronica was the keyboardist, Jughead was the drummer and Hot Dog, Jughead's canine pet, was the conductor. The Archies released several singles and albums; one of their songs, "Sugar Sugar", was a major hit.Spin-offs and successor series included:
- The Archie Comedy Hour, which expanded the first show to an hour and introduced Sabrina, The Teenage Witch.
- Sabrina and The Groovie Goolies, which centered on Riverdale's teenage witch, her two aunts and the denizens of Horrible Hall.
- Archie's Fun House, which featured a Giant Jukebox and a live-action audience of children. Was spun off from "The Funhouse" segments on The Archie Comedy Hour, as well as the "Side Show", which became "Thunderbolt Theater" in this series.
- Archie's TV Funnies, which featured animated adaptations of newspaper comic strips such as Dick Tracy.
- The U.S. of Archie, in which identical ancestors of Archie and his friends participated in American historical events.
- The New Archie-Sabrina Hour, which was a revival of sorts after years of reruns. Was later split into two separate shows before becoming recombined into a single half-hour syndicated version.
- The New Archies, featuring the characters in middle school. Produced by Dic Entertainment.
- Archie's Weird Mysteries, which follows Archie and his friends encountering supernatural weirdness in Riverdale. Also produced by DIC.
This series provides examples of:
- An Aesop: At least one of the "Giant Jukebox hits" from Archie's Fun House:"We're one big family / And our Daddy's in the sky / We're one big family / Don't you make your brother cry...""Mr. Factory / Don't you care / Soon the children won't have any air..."
- Animated Adaptation
- Artistic License – Music: Rock bands don't have conductors, whether they're sheep dogs or not.
- Ascended Extra: Hot Dog, compared to the comics, has become a major character.
- Canon Immigrant: The comic books incorporated the characters' band, "The Archies," into continuity, and it has remained ever since.
- Everybody Do the Endless Loop
- Fake Band: The Archies, of course.
- Film Comic/Recursive Adaptation: "Kids' Day" received this treatment in Archie's Pals 'n' Gals Double Digest Issue 100, as a Milestone Celebration for that digest.
- Laugh Track: Was the first-ever Saturday Morning Cartoon to utilize one; laugh tracks for Saturday Morning soon became standard practice afterwards till 1983.
- Limited Wardrobe: As opposed to the comics.
- Roger Rabbit Effect / Stock Footage: "Archie's Fun House" fills both tropes (see above). Especially during musical segments, which mix animation with a handful of stock film clips of an audience of kids clapping, laughing, bopping around in their seats, etc., none of which ever seem to be even remotely synced to the animation.
- Skintone Sclerae
- Theme Tune Roll Call