Calvin's clearly got a future as a lawyer.
"This isn't a
game, you know.
"Alright, now these games
will determine which of you has the most important qualities I'm looking for..."
This is for when a character says something clearly contradictory, if not completely opposite, to what they literally said right beforehand.
May sometimes happen in the context of a Hurricane of Excuses
. When a contradiction seems immediate to the viewer but is not immediate in in-universe time, that would be a Gilligan Cut
. See also Verbal Backspace
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the dub of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Bobobo explains to the wealth-obsessed villain Halekulani that there are things more important than money. Like money!
- Achille Talon has a bulldog-faced American general claim, with absolute sincerity, that if there's one thing he hates more than the Chinese, it's racism.
- Monsters vs. Aliens:
"I come in peace; you are all going to die."
- Constantine. Chas Kramer has been bugging the title character about being able to get into Papa Midnite's bar for some time.
Chas Kramer: Can you please get me into this bar, John, please? I'm begging you, John, please?
Constantine: Sure, you can get in.
Chas Kramer: I can get in?
Constantine: If you can get in.
- Austin Powers has this memorable quote from Powers Sr.: "There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
- Peter Pan, in the book: "That's not why I was crying! And besides, I wasn't crying."
- Dave Barry often uses this. For example, an attack ad claiming a politician had relations with a sheep named Bernice. The politician denies the whole thing, and besides, her name was Jennifer.
- In Devin And The Teacher the unnamed narrator insists the title character Devin isn't a troublemaker; then promptly lists all the times he had caused trouble.
- In Doctor Who, the Doctor gives explanations for various things, only to immediately say that the explanation is wrong, since a lot of the time, he doesn't seem to have an answer or he thinks his companions need it dumbed down for them. The Eleventh Doctor is especially prone to discarded analogies.
- In the How I Met Your Mother episode "Zoo or False" Marshall simultaneously claims that he was and was not "mugged" by a monkey in the Central Park zoo. He was mugged by a person but he says it was a monkey in order for Lily to not want to get a gun, then feels guilty when he learns that the monkey he has accused is going to be deported.
Lily: You weren't mugged by a monkey?
Marshall: Yes, I was!
Robin: So you were mugged by a monkey.
Marshall: No, I wasn't!
- In another episode, Barney says that it's impossible for a man wearing overalls to seduce a woman. He then vows to do exactly that.
- In the British show All Creatures Great and Small, Siegfried is often guilty of telling his employees to do something, then at some point negating what he just said (he has a very bad short-term memory).
- Firefly: Mal going back on a job for a client after finding out what exactly that job entails:
Mal: Now this is all the money Niska gave us in advance. [...] We're not thieves. Well, we are thieves... point is, we're not taking what's his.
- Saturday Night Live did a parody Biography entry of singer played by Queen Latifah whose songs were all very blunt bawdy songs. At the end Jack Perkins (Darrell Hammond) reads off a list of her hits, which include "I Won't Do Oral" and, a few seconds later, "Okay, Fine, I'll Do Oral".
Mythology, religion and folklore
- In this Dilbert strip, the Pointy-Haired Boss goes right from an optimistic forecast of company profits to an explanation that the company can't afford to give out raises this year. There was supposed to be something else in between, but his secretary messed with the agenda.
- The page image from Calvin and Hobbes comes from this strip.
- The Flash game series Arise has, in the very first game, this wonderful claim left in a book for the player to read: "This is not a joke, and it's not a test. I put you in this shack to test you." Retsupurae called the authors out on this:
Like right there
! I mean, come on
Oh man, my backspace key doesn't work, but I gotta keep writing my narrative!
- EarthBound has the Onett librarian offering you a map.
Librarian: All of the information is there, except for the information that isn't there!
- Diablo III: The Cow King, when letting you into Whimyshire.
"This is no time to be silly. The level of sparkling happiness and rainbows awaits you!"
- A famous Image Macro shows Giorgio A. Tsoukalos from Ancient Aliens saying, "I'm not saying it was aliens, but, it was aliens."
- The quoted example from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "May the Best Pet Win!"
- The Simpsons has this conversation from a PSA in "Lisa the Vegetarian":
Jimmy: Mr. McClure? I have a crazy friend who says its wrong to eat meat. Is he crazy?
Troy McClure: (laughs) No, Jimmy, just ignorant. You see, your crazy friend hasn't heard of the food chain.
- From Futurama, Professor Farnsworth continually does this. E.g.: "You're going to be going on a highly controversial mission!"
Farnsworth: Oh my, no!