Immediate Self Contradiction
Calvin's clearly got a future as a lawyer.
"This isn't a
game, you know. Alright, now these
games will determine which of you has the most important qualities I'm looking for..."
This is for when a character says something clearly contradictory, if not completely opposite, to what they literally said right beforehand.
May sometimes happen in the context of a Hurricane of Excuses
. When a contradiction seems immediate to the viewer but is not immediate in in-universe time, that would be a Gilligan Cut
. See also Verbal Backspace
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the dub of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Bobobo explains to the wealth-obsessed villain Halekulani that there are things more important than money. Like money!
- Monsters vs. Aliens:"I come in peace; you are all going to die".
- The Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie. He had several occasions of saying something, then stopping, and exclaiming, "Strike that! Reverse it!"
- Constantine. Chas Kramer has been bugging the title character about being able to get into Papa Midnite's bar for some time.
Chas Kramer: Can you please get me into this bar, John, please? I'm begging you, John, please?
Constantine: Sure, you can get in.
Chas Kramer: I can get in?
Constantine: If you can get in.
- Peter Pan, in the book: "That's not why I was crying! And besides, I wasn't crying."
Mythology, religion and folklore
- The Flash game series Arise has, in the very first game, this wonderful claim left in a book for the player to read: "This is not a joke, and it's not a test. I put you in this shack to test you." Retsupurae called the authors out on this:
Like right there
! I mean, come on
Oh man, my backspace key doesn't work, but I gotta keep writing my narrative!
- EarthBound has the Onett librarian offering you a map.
Librarian: "All of the information is there, except for the information that isn't there!"
- Diablo III': The Cow King, when letting you into Whimyshire.
'Ghost of the Cow King"This is no time to be silly. The level of sparkling happiness and rainbows awaits you!"
- xkcd: In Future Timeline, the predictions for the year 2090 include "global warming hits 7 degrees centigrade" and "global warming hits 4 degrees centigrade".
- The quoted example from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "May the Best Pet Win!"
- The Simpsons has the following from Abe Simpsons in "Curse Of The Flying Hellfish".
The fortune isn't important, boy, what's important to me is that you're safe. Now let's go get that fortune!
- Another Abe example from "Simpson Tide":
My Homer is not a Communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a Communist, but he is not a porn star!
- From a PSA in "Lisa the Vegetarian":
Jimmy: Mr. McClure? I have a crazy friend who says its wrong to eat meat. Is he crazy?
Troy McClure: (laughs) No, Jimmy, just ignorant. You see, your crazy friend hasn't heard of the food chain.
- From Futurama, Professor Farnsworth continually does this. E.g.: "You're going to be going on a highly controversial mission!"
Farnsworth: Oh my, no!
- Another Futurama example, from "The Duh-Vinci Code":
Morbo: Are you ready to play?
Fry: I didn't come here to play; I came to win. Now let's play.