We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Some don't take it as well as others
Be it via alopecia or a similar condition, really early onset male pattern baldness, some sort of accident... it's not as though high school wasn't already hard enough, now you're losing your hair a few decades early.
Some may try to hide it with combovers, some may go 'au naturel' or just shave all their remaining hair off to stop looking patchy, but it will often be a sore spot. A few will embrace it and not let it get them down.
A prematurely bald head is not to be confused with a shaved one (unless, as mentioned above, the man was balding anyway and just finished the job).
See also Charlie Brown Baldness
. When done with a small child, or a teenage girl, it's usually
case of the Littlest Cancer Patient
Anime and Manga
- Yukimitsu Manabu in Eyeshield 21 is already losing his hair from stress in his second year of high school. At the start of the Kanto tournament, he starts styling his hair differently, and it isn't nearly so apparent. According to a Fourth Wall Mail Slot segment in the manga, he's had a ridiculously high hairline since birth.
- Unsui Kongo's head hair has been stubble his entire life it seems, and Agon lampshades this, "Still as bald as ever."
- Kagerou Usui in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei has it even worse than most: Though his comb-over covers his bald spot, no one notices him, to the point where he can shout in someone's ear and the listener will wonder what just made a noise. However, whenever his bald spot is exposed (usually after he's gotten accustomed to being invisible and while he's doing something embarrassing, like reading porn in the classroom), people suddenly all fix their gaze on him. They then proceed to punish him, mock him or both.
- Makoto's father in Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! is already bald by 35. He fears he'd go this way as well.
- Professor X from X-Men lost his hair in his late teens, as a side effect of his mutant powers.
- Mortadelo lost all his hair to one of Doctor Bacterius's experiments. Filemon combines this with Hair Antennae.
- The Silver Age version of Lex Luthor lost his hair as a teenager, when an experiment in artificial life went wrong. He blamed Superboy for this, and swore revenge. A similar story was used in the Superboy TV series, and it's at least alluded to in Smallville. (In the John Byrne reboot version he just went prematurely bald worrying about Superman).
- In recent times, Black Lightning has taken on a bald look. Green Lantern John Stewart claims that it is a "negative combover", saying that BL is going prematurely bald, and shaved his head to disguise it.
- Ted from Scrubs began balding at 14.
- Turk may or may not suffer from this as well. In one episode, he admits that he shaves his head because he's going bald, but in another he rebuts it.
- Lex Luthor in Smallville lost all his hair as a small child because of the meteor shower.
- Misfits has a teenage girl who is bald due to alopecia. The storm gives her the power to temporarily inflict the state on others, albeit only partially conciously (she can't help but do it to the boyfriend who dumped her when he found out she was bald every time she sees him).
- Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek: The Next Generation kinda-sorta flip-flops on the idea. The series itself showed that Picard had a full head of hair during his time in Starfleet Academy, but Star Trek: Nemesis suggested otherwise (or at least he was bald in one photo).
- Despite his rapidly receding hairline, Kurt Angle didn't take being shaved bald too well.
- Claudio Castagnoli tried to work a partially bald look, but his hairline eventually receded so far he just decided to start shaving it.
- After being shaved bald by Kurt Angle, who infamously shot the man with tranquilizer dart, The Big Show decided he was going to stay bald to always remind himself what Angle had done.
- Ricky Johnson of Backyard Sports is a tween, and lost his hair before he was 8 (probably).
- The Order of the Stick prequel On The Origin of PCs makes it known that premature baldness runs in Roy Greenhilt's family. Roy shaved his head in college. It is never specified whether he shaves or is naturally bald in the comic's "present".
- While not directly stated, dwarven cleric Durkon has said he's been bald for "40 years," and is currently 55, meaning he went bald as a teenager.
- Numbuh One in Codename: Kids Next Door. Somehow, the Delightful Children are responsible, and this is Numbuh Five's Greatest Failure.
- Also Mr. Fibb, as revealed in "Operation: C.O.W.G.I.R.L": He started losing his hair in elementary school.
- Doug even had a haircut episode, even though he only had four or five single hairs on his entire head. The later series openly acknowledged that he was losing his hair at 12, and had him come to terms with it.
- It's been shown that AJ in The Fairly Oddparents is naturally bald. In "Fairy Idol" and the "Wishology" trilogy, he expresses desire to have hair.
- In the Grossology episode "Hairless Whispers", Abby is the first victim of Frederick Follicle's hair loss ray and more people follow.
- The main goal of Gerald Bald Z, the young protagonist of Perfect Hair Forever, is to obtain... Perfect Hair Forever.
- In an early episode of The Simpsons, Mr. Burns reveals that he lost his hair during his senior year at Yale (although flashback scenes are, shockingly, not always consistent).
- Flashbacks are generally consistent with the idea that Homer had a thick head of hair in his teens, had it thin out over his twenties, and was almost completely bald by his mid-thirties.
- One episode of The Simpsons showed Bart going bald some time in his late 20's/early 30's.
- There is a condition called alopecia that can cause baldness in children and teenagers. A rare female example is the stand-up comedian Renee Hicks, now with her hair grown back and spelling her name René.
- Matt Lucas also suffers from alopecia, and he's used his baldness to his advantage, playing a wide variety of characters on Little Britain using wigs and makeup.
- Alopecia aside, if a boy is genetically predisposed to hair loss, hair can begin to thin out in his mid-teens. The primary cause of hair loss is an abundance of a specific type of testosterone, so for many, it can begin as soon as puberty ends and his hormones level out.
- Patrick Stewart lost his hair at the age 19. He said in an interview that after a friend's husband held him down and she took off his toupee and burned it, he accepted it.
- Kenny Chesney began balding at age 19.
- The Other Wiki mentions Jason Alexander beginning to lose his hair at 16.
- Whenever he takes his baseball cap off, you'll see that Doug Walker (who's in his early 30s) has a bit of a bald spot near the back of his head. He seems to be a fan of cutting his hair quite short, though, so that can't help much.
- Michael Chiklis lost his hair due to a makeup malfunction. After shaving his head and applying grease paint (for a part in You Can't Take It with You), he failed to remove the paint, and it killed his hair follicles.
- Gaius Julius Caesar was reportedly bald as a knee by 30, and it was a really sore spot for him, as by the Roman superstition baldness was seen as a sign of the gods' displeasure. No wonder that he had to overachieve, with all the mockery that usually brought.
- Jamie Hyneman said in one interview that he started shaving his head as a response to premature hair loss. (Then he realized a shaved head gets cold and donned his trademark beret.)
- David Cross has been as bald as he is now since since late 20s, at least.
- Sean Connery lost his hair at age 21. He wore a toupee in his James Bond flicks.
- Bob Fosse started losing his hair in his 20s. He claims this is where his love of hats came from- part of his work's Signature Style.
- According to Sir Terry Pratchett, the Pratchett men go bald in their twenties to get it over with. Hence the Nice Hat.
- Don Rickles - Lost them in his early 20's.
- Claudio Castagnoli's hair started receding in his twenties. He eventually gave up on it and shaved his head.