An upcoming series that will air on FOX
, chronicling the story of a younger Jim Gordon, an idealistic rookie detective for the Gotham City Police Department, before the Batman
and his colorful Rogues Gallery
rise to fruition. In fact, he appears to be investigating the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne.
One of three live-action DC Comics
shows to premiere in 2014, along with The CW
's The Flash
, though being on different networks makes crossovers unlikely.
The first trailer can be viewed here.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Cobblepot has little resemblance to his short Fat Bastard self in the comics (except for a beaky nose).
- Adaptational Heroism: Edward Nygma (The Riddler) works as a police forensic scientist who likes to speak in riddles. However given that this is Gotham, there is a good chance he could be corrupt.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Barbara Kean is apparently bisexual, as she dated Renee Montoya at one point.
- Adaptational Villainy: Renee Montoya. A good cop who eventually takes up the mantle of the Question in the comics, is seen here trying to destroy the Gordons' marriage.
- Adaptation Name Change: Poison Ivy's real name has been changed from "Pamela Isley" to "Ivy Pepper."
- Age Lift: Riddler and Penguin are now apparently around Gordon's age.
- Already Met Everyone: While they won't be active as villains (with a few exceptions like Oswald Cobblepott who's already active in the mob), The Bat's most iconic rogues will be seen in the show.
- Bad Boss: Mooney to Cobblepott.
- Canon Foreigner: Fish Mooney is a crime boss and nightclub owner created for the show, who has ambitions to take Falcone's spot as the top crime boss in Gotham.
- The Cynic: Harvey Bullock has been on the police a long time, and knows what Gotham is like, leading him to adopt a Cowboy Cop approach to his police work, much to Gordon's initial chagrin.
- Darker and Edgier: Definitely so, when compared to the previous Fox-produced Batman TV show with Adam West.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Cobblepot is already called "Penguin" because he has a limp that forces him to walk like one. He hates it.
- Even Evil Has Standards: A young Selina Kyle in this continuity is hiding in the shadows of a fire escape when the Waynes get murdered and she's visibly shocked by it.
- Faux Affably Evil: The various mob members; special mention goes to Oswald and Mooney.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: What all the villains will eventually become. Special mention goes to Oswald Cobblepot who starts out as a petty mook who will later become Gotham's chief crime boss, the Penguin.
- Foregone Conclusion: Given that this an origin to the Batman mythos, it's pretty obvious what will happen to certain characters.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Selina Kyle is usually seen with a pair of green goggles on top of her hood, perhaps as a nod to more modern versions of Catwoman who wears goggles as part of her costume.
- Happily Married: The Gordons, at first. But Renee Montoya plants the idea that Jim may be corrupt and not as good as he seems in Barbara's mind, which causes their marriage to be become strained.
- Interservice Rivalry: In the Gotham Police, there is one between Homicide Division and the Major Crimes Unit. The Major Crimes Unit want to take over the Wayne's murder case from Harvey and Jim.
- Mob War: Falcone is the chief crime boss in charge of Gotham, but he's getting old and losing his hold on the city, which means rivals like Mooney want to take his place; Cobblepot is Genre Savvy enough to see the carnage coming, and plans to take advantage of it to further his ambitions accordingly.
- Race Lift: Sarah Essen, a white woman in the comics, is played by Latina actress Zabryna Guevara.
- Puerto Rican actor David Zayas plays Salvatore “The Boss” Maroni who is white in the comics.
- Parental Substitute: Alfred to Bruce.
- Skyward Scream: Bruce lets out a particularly heart-wrenching one after his parents are killed.
- The Starscream: Osawld Cobblepot, a low level thug has ambitions to take over Gotham's underworld and the only thing standing in his way is Fish Mooney, who he is willing to backstab at the first opportunity so he can take over her gang.
- A Storm Is Coming: Cobblepot tells Gordon "blood will run in the streets" while being interrogated.
- Street Urchin: This version of Selina Kyle is already a roof-hopping Kind Hearted Cat Lover stealing milk for a stray.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Gordon will start as this, before Gotham gets to him...