A staple of comedy: the Wedgie, in which some poor sap gets his underpants forcibly yanked up and wedged between the butt. Variations include:
- The Melvin, in which the undies are yanked up from the front
- The Atomic Wedgie, in which the undies are pulled over the head
- The Hanging Wedgie, in which the victim is suspended from an object by the undies
open/close all folders
Films - Animated
Films - Live-Action
- The Mask: The title character gives a gang leader an atomic melvin.
- Pontius Feeb of Mike Nelson's Death Rat! relied on these in high school to defeat bullies, he put one on the antagonist in the backstory, and he uses one to defend himself against attacking Danes in the story proper.
- Captain Underpants: The Wedgie Woman, the titular villain of the fifth book, accomplishes this through Prehensile Hair.
- In the episode "Meet the Parrots" of Happy Endings, Penny tries to give her new baby bro Dave (Penny's mom and Dave's dad are together now) a wedgie, only to discover he isn't wearing any underwear.
- Seinfeld: The episode "The Library" has Elaine, George, and Jerry discussing the wedgie. At the end, George is given an atomic wedgie by an old gym teacher-who he had gotten fired for giving him a wedgie in high school.
- iCarly: Near the end of the episode "iHate Sam's Boyfriend", Carly, Sam, and Freddie get back at Sam's boyfriend Jonah, who had previously tried to kiss Carly, by hooking him on the "Wedgie Bounce," which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin, and leaving him on it for two hours straight.
- In the second season episode "My Kingdom," JD is a victim of a hanging wedgie, courtesy of the surgeons.
- In the fifth season episode "My Missed Perception," The Janitor gives The Todd a "four-story atomic wedgie" off the side of the hospital using The Todd's banana-hammock underwear.
- It is 'illegal' in professional wrestling to use articles of clothing for extra leverage, so naturally you will see someone trying to keep their pinned opponent folded over by yanking on their tights about once a month.
- The Undertaker's last ride is distinguished by from a regular power bomb by giving the other wrestler a Melvin before dropping them. He does not have to grab underwear per se, but most professional wrestlers wear some variant of Underwear of Power.
- Christina Von Eerie received a wedgie, along with various other forms of abuse by ODB in Pro Wrestling Bushido. Derek Drexl also gave her one prior to a spiked pile driver at a North Western Wrestling Alliance show. In that case, Von Eerie would get a measure of revenge by yanking him off the top turnbuckle with what must have been a particularly painful wedgie.
- At the 2015 WWC Euphoria, Angel Fashion used a wedgie the way most wrestlers would use "short arms" and "Irish whips", to pull Mike Mendoza toward him as he attempted to create distance and then whipped him into the ropes by his trunks.
- Bully allows you to do these, natch. They're not useful in a fight, but damn if they're not funny to pull off, especially on Prefects.
- Several SpongeBob SquarePants games feature a mini-game called "Underwear Bungee Jumping" in which SpongeBob deliberately hooks his undies on a hook and bounces up and down.
- In some The Sims games, if your Relationship Values are low enough, you can give or receive a wedgie. Getting one is likely to surface as a fear when your Sim has an enemy.
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: Local bully Sperg is feared for his "deadly" wedgies.
- The Mask had the titular character give Lt. Kellaway an atomic wedgie at least Once an Episode.
- It might be something built into the titular mask itself, as a psychiatrist using it gave people wedgies in such a way that their underwear got twisted into a makeshift straitjacket.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy:
- In one episode, Eddy decides to open up a wedgie booth as a scam; Kevin takes to it with glee and suspends Ed and Double D from a tree. By the end, Eddy gets Laser-Guided Karma and gets suspended from the tree by his underwear himself.
- In another episode, Eddy gives Jimmy an atomic wedgie... resulting in Jimmy launching an extremely convoluted revenge plan.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Jerry Rassic in the episode "Operation: B.U.L.L.I.E.S." lured Numbuh 4 to the titular Bully Island with the intent on getting revenge on him for receiving a "permanent" wedgie back in first grade, which Numbuh 4 doesn't even remember. Numbuh 4 subsequently runs afoul of a massive Wedgiesaurus Rex, which gives him a massive amount of wedgies, all of which Numbuh 4 knows by name. By the end of it, his undies have stretched to four times their normal size.
- Ben 10:
- In "Tourist Trap," Grandpa Max gets a hanging wedgie from one of the Megawhatts.
- In all of their appearances in the original series, JT and Cash would give Ben a hanging wedgie, only for Ben as XLR8 to return the favor.
- Duck Dodgers: In "The Green Loontern," Dodgers uses a Green Lantern Ring to give the Cadet a hanging wedgie.
- The Simpsons
- "When Flanders Failed" has Bart hanging from a basketball hoop by his underwear after trying to defend Lisa from bullies with his "touch of death".
- In "A Star is Burns", Patty and Selma give a hanging wedgie to Jay Sherman for badmouthing MacGyver. Apparently, Bart had been through the works as well.
- "The Wandering Juivie" has a gag where a tough kid is lifting two smaller kids by their underwear like lifting dumbbells.