Don't treat me like a woman
Don't treat me like a man...
Joan Marie Laurer, better known as Chyna
, was one of the most prominent Divas in WWE
history. She is remembered for her unusual strength
and for being the firstnote
female wrestler to hold an official male title in WWE; namely the Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
. Laurer served as a bodyguard to Hunter Hearst Helmsley
and was one of the founding members of DeGeneration X
After a brief return to wrestling at TNA
PPV in 2011 (as Kurt Angle
's mistress), Chyna announced that she is returning to the adult film industry. One of her roles is She-Hulk
in both Avengers XXX
and a solo movie.
As usual, The Other Wiki
has a complete rundown of her life and career.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Seen by many as a knockoff of Jacqueline, who was in WCW at the time as "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan's second, upon her original debut.
- In 1999, WCW offered up their own copy, introducing Christi Wolf as "Asya".
- Amazonian Beauty: While not the traditional example of the kind of woman WWE would push as a Ms. Fanservice character, she had her fans who saw her as a sex symbol all the same. Fan signs such as "I Like to Eat Chynese" and "Fine Chyna 3:69" prove this.
- Arch-Enemy: Marlena at first, since she debuted during HHH's feud with Goldust in February 1997. From that point on, except for the month or so between her joining the Corporation and HHH joining it and until she went after Jeff Jarrett's IC Title, it was generally whoever HHH and/or DX as a group was/were feuding with at the time. Mark Henry, Chris Jericho and Right to Censor later filled this role.
- As Herself: Did her own voice in Celebrity Deathmatch, as did most WWE stars who appeared on the cartoon.
- Badass: Several weeks saw the airing of her beating up the WWE champion Bret Hart so fans would not mind when someone finally hit her back, then show she could take it so they would mind even less.
- Bash Brothers: Triple H, Billy Gunn, X Pac, Kane, Eddie Guerrero, Justin McCully and Glamor Boy Shane
- Bastard Girlfriend: For Latino heat
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Triple H back in the day.
- Brain Bleach: Her 2004 Home Porn Movie, "1 Night in China". Here's a recap of the film. (NSFW warning, although the pics are [thankfully] censored)
"It's her with a friend of mine [X-Pac], I've not seen it, and I'm not interested in seeing it. She didn't have pimples on her ass when I was dating her." — Triple H
, at his appearance
on The Howard Stern Show
, Dec. 15, 2004
- Brawn Hilda: When she first debuted.
- Cassandra Truth: A Downer Ending Real Life example, as she for a time was going to any media outlet she could find who would listen to her warnings about her friend Anna Nicole Smith's problems.
- Censored for Comedy: During her feud with Jeff Jarrett in late 1999, she cut a promo where she said after that night they might be the same sex, because "the balls are in my court," and the words my court were muted out.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: She is recognized as the strongest female wrestler in WWE history.note
- Chickification: Many WWE fans consider her run as Eddie Guerrero's valet as such, as well as her demotion into the women's division and feud with Lita.
- Designated Girl Fight: In 2000 she won the Intercontinental title again but did so by pinning another woman (Trish Stratus) and only held it for a couple of weeks.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Disappeared after the Judgment Day PPV on May 20, 2001 with no In-Universe explanation ever offered. This left the WWE Women's Title she was holding at the time vacant for the next six months.note .
- Continuity Nod: Her nickname was a big one for the WWF as she was the 9th wonder of the world while André the Giant had been named the 8th.
- Dark Action Girl: And one of the few women guys could hit without any one batting an eye, though the WWF had to build up to this point.
- Determinator: During the mid 90s feud between Triple H and Mankind, one of the continual sources of drama in the feud was that Chyna could not be kept from interfering. Once they went so far as to suspend her in a cage above the ring. She bent the bars and escaped.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Officially changed her name to "Chyna." Appropriate, since she used to date half of the Trope Namers. Though on her appearance of MTV Cribs, she referred to herself as "Joanie" once or twice.
- Everyone Went to Wrestling School Together: She, HHH and the Eliminators (Perry Saturn and John Kronus) all came out of Killer Kowalski's wrestling school in 1992.
- Face-Heel Turn: Was in the middle of one prior to her abrupt departure. She had previously been acting a lot more cocky and full of herself during matches, seeing the rest of the Divas as no competition to her. In her final match against Lita, although they shook hands afterwards, she acted very heelish before that which seems to suggest she would have turned heel eventually.
- Fan Service Pack: In 2000 as she received some cosmetic surgery, her ring gear became slightly more sexy. Then she ended up posing for Playboy.
- Finishing Move: HHH's Pedigree, Press Slam, Powerbomb, Sleeper Slam.
- Frying Pan of Doom: Used one in the Good Housekeeping Match with Jeff Jarrett at No Mercy 99.
- Gag Boobs: Zig-zagged. According to her autobiography, when she got her first set of implants, she realized that since she's 5'10" with a very muscular frame, it would be somewhat logical for her to go with a larger size. However, they were still fairly underwhelming on her frame, so after one of them ruptured during a match, she went back under the knife to repair them. During this, she apparently became the model for a line of larger implants she called the "Chyna 2000s," which were specifically made for female bodybuilders and large-framed women. They looked fairly proportionate during her time in wrestling; however, since she left, she's slimmed down somewhat and her implants have started to look oversized.
- Girliness Upgrade: Around 2000 she started wearing more makeup and was seen in dresses more often. This eventually crossed over into her ring gear in 2001.
- Godiva Hair: Used for some shots on the 2001 Divas in Hedonism DVD.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: The March 10, 1997 Raw featured Goldust winning a squash. After the match, Chyna and HHH attacked Goldust until Marlena jumped on Chyna's back. As the referees separated the women, Chyna threw one of them, Harvey Wippleman, into the crowd.
- Groin Attack: Chyna is notorious for doing these.
- A Handful for an Eye:This is how she escaped Sgt Slaughter.
- Hidden Depths: In WWE, Chyna was mainly known for kicking, punching people in the crotch and throwing around those smaller than her. In New Japan Pro Wrestling she displayed much more athleticism and dexterity during her matches.
- Home Porn Movie: She and then-boyfriend Sean "X-Pac" Waltman (yes, that one) had one, which even saw an official release under the title 1 Night in China.
- Huge Schoolgirl: She felt a little self-conscious about it growing up. In her autobiography, she recalls a specific event in a fitness competition. She was 5'10" and around 150 pounds at the time, while the rest of the girls were petite little things all under 5'5" and around 100-120 pounds. She recalls a wide shot they filmed with all the contestants in a row, and said she looked like an adult trying to sneak into a children's matinee.
- Hypocritical Humor: She and HHH taking part in DX's parody of The Corporation, a faction they would both separately join.
- "I Am" Song: The lyrics at the top of the page are from her entrance theme, "Who I Am."
- I Was Quite a Looker: Depends on what period you're talking about. Inverted around the time of her Playboy cover where she was at her finest, and played straight now after her excessive plastic surgery.
- Les Yay: Invoked when she gained the services of Miss Kitty (Stacy Carter) as a valet. Chyna would wear a shirt that said "master" while Kitty wore one that said "slave". Strangely, Chyna's "Master" shirt was dropped very quickly but Miss Kitty continued wearing the "slave" shirt for quite a time after that.
- One of the Boys: Her feature in the Come Get Some video treats her as such. While the rest of the Divas get more feminine (and Fanservicey) segments, Chyna's focused on her at the gym. It could easily have been a feature on a male wrestler.
- Positive Discrimination: A brilliantly done aversion. Booked on equal enough terms with the male wrestlers so that she could be considered a legitimate competitor in their division, without being a God-Mode Sue. She was also able to play the heel in many of her intergender matches, meaning she controlled a lot of them without being booked as an underdog.
- Power Stable:
- Progressively Prettier: Chyna when she debuted in 1997◊. Compare that to Chyna now, after the plastic surgery◊.
- When she debuted alongside Triple H, lots of viewers were probably thinking, "Who's that big, ugly man?"
- It should be noted that she's gone both ways with this, she started off somewhat mannish-looking, then refined her looks through plastic surgery, and becoming quite pretty, posing for Playboy and being considered very attractive. Unfortunately, she kept getting plastic surgery, and between that and losing a lot of her muscle tone (making her parts that were surgically enhanced for her muscular physique out of proportion), she's since approached what a few people have called a plastic train-wreck.
- And then there are some of the things that steroid abuse has done to her body that are somewhat... offputting.
- Rapunzel Hair: Was known for having long tumbling black hair that reached her waist.
- Red Baron: The Ninth Wonder of The World.
- Self-Deprecation/Parallel Porn Titles: One of her first adult movies is a WWE-styled movie, Chyna is Queen of the Ring. Including a literal example of Chyna's accusations of being Screwed by the Network (site is SFW - it's the first part of a wrestling page's recap of the movie, retelling the scenes as if they were matches)
- Ship Tease: With Billy Gunn around 2000/2001.
- Small Name, Big Ego: She first saw signs of this in her 2001 autobiography, Chyna: If They Only Knew, and her ego became even more inflated after her 2001 release.
- Trainer Backlash: Killer Kowalski, who trained her, slammed her book, calling her "the biggest liar I have ever come across," and suggested that her fame had gone to her head.
- Spiritual Successor: Beth Phoenix is considered a modern example, the two often being compared. Beth also became the second woman to compete in the Royal Rumble - and even took a (kayfabe) shot at Chyna afterwards.
- Something Completely Different: The first Diva to hold a male-designated championship, and the first to regularly compete against men.
- Of course, Jacqueline had been wrestling men for years in Memphis, but she didn't have the right friends the way Chyna did.
- Squash Match: Defeated Ivory for the WWE Women's Title at WrestleMania X-7 in a mere 2:39. She had several TV matches that were very short as well.
- Statuesque Stunner: She is about the ideal super model height. If that means nothing to you professional wrestling fans, then let us put it this way. She's the exact same height and weight as Mr Tall, Dark and Handsome Prince Devitt!
- Stripperiffic: Par the course for professional wrestling but Chyna's outfits became far more as her career went on
- Temporary Blindness: Caused by Kane, who accidentally hit her with a fireball
- The Big Girl/The Brute: Certainly the first woman to fill the latter role in WWE history. While there had been larger women, the WWF usually had no idea what to do with them (Monster Ripper) and none of them served as serious body guards for a man.
- The Comically Serious: As a member of DX.
- The Rival
- Before making it to the big time, one of them was Angel Orsini, who showed up in ECW but never got to wrestle Chyna on National TV. Also, Violet Flame in the International Wrestling Federation.
- In WWE, Lita was the only woman who came close to giving Chyna any sort of trouble in a straight one on one fight. Not that it ever really looked like Lita could beat Chyna but Lita was able to hang around without cheating. After WWE, there was Nicole Bass, who Chyna did clothesline once in WWE but never had a real program with. Even after WWE, Bass and Chyna's rivalry was more managerial than wrestling.
- Ultimate Pro Wrestling in California wanted to put Chyna against Rio Storm and eventually, Erica Porter, but it did not work out.
- The Stoic: In Degeneration X and when paired with Kat
- Ungrateful Bitch: In-Universe, at least. HHH challenged the Rock for the WWE World Heavyweight Title in an "I Quit" match on the January 25, 1999 Raw. HHH had Rock set up for a Pedigree on the English announce table when The Corporation ran out. Kane had Chyna set up for a chokeslam and the Big Bossman threatened that they'll break her neck unless he gives up the match. HHH agreed, and Kane let her go. HHH turned toward Kane and it looked like they were going to fight...until Chyna lowblowed HHH instead, thus turning heel and joining the Corporation.
- Un-Person: WWE usually tries to forget most of her involvement in wrestling...
- Villainous Cheekbones: When she debuted as the bodyguard to Shawn Michaels and Triple H, less so after getting plastic surgery and leaving Degeneration X
- Vocal Dissonance: Considering her size, strength, and toughness, her rather high, soft, nasal voice can be a little surprising. She also had a slight lisp which makes her almost a Distaff Counterpart to Mike Tyson.
- Wild Card/Face Heel Revolving Door: Towards the end of 1999. She was still allied with Triple H and technically a heel but had begun feuding with Straw Misogynist Jeff Jarrett - which caused crowds to cheer for her. Especially egregious at the Rebellion PPV note where she was the face in her match against Jarrett but was at ringside for Triple H's match against The Rock and helped Triple H cheat quite a bit.
- She got booed during her match with Jericho at Survivor Series 99, when she was going in as the Face.
- Woman in Black: Hey, see the page image? She was evil back then.
- Woman Scorned: To Triple H, which caused her to side with Vince McMahon and Kane
- Would Hit a Girl: Superstars were reluctant at first but she credits "Stone Cold" Steve Austin for kickstarting her career by making it ok for men to hit her.
- WrestleCrap: Five inductions:
- Her autobiography, If They Only Knew
- The Chyna vs. Jeff Jarrett Good Housekeeping Match from No Mercy 99 where she beat him for the Intercontinental Heavyweight Title.
- Her and Sable's comic books
- Illegal Aliens, a sci-fi movie starring Chyna and Anna Nicole Smith
- Her porn film
- Writing Around Trademarks: After leaving the WWF in 2001, she changed her name to Chynna Doll, as the WWF owned the Chyna name at the time. After WWE's trademark on "Chyna" expired, Joanie legally changed her name to "Chyna" in 2009.
- Also, the title of her porno film, "1 Night in China", a play on Paris Hilton's sex tape, "1 Night in Paris" (also produced by the same studio as Chyna's sex tape). To help get away with it, the producers flew X-Pac out to the Great Wall of China and interviewed him there.
- You Go Girl: Competed regularly in intergender competition for about two years and won many of her matches, including holding the Intercontinental Championship, competing in the King of the Ring tournament and briefly becoming #1 contender to the WWF Championship.