Salario: Why, I am sure, if he forfeit, thou wilt not take his flesh: what's that good for?
Shylock: To bait fish withal.
A threat intended to make someone sexually uncomfortable; more often than not, a character threatens (sometimes subtly) to castrate someone.
Compare Groin Attack
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In an anime-only episode of Bleach showcasing the backstory of Harribel and her fraccion, Apache threatens to bite the crotch off of a hollow after causing it to flee.
- In the Mai-Otome manga Natsuki says that if the public finds out "Mashiro" is actually a boy pretending to be the princess, in addition to banishment they'll also cut his penis off.
- In the manga version of Berserk, as part of his Insult Friendly Fire, Guts warns General Adon that he wouldn't want to deal with Casca because she would "bite it right off" in retaliation to Adon's threats of capturing Casca and making her his troop's Sex Slave. Casca elbows Guts in the back of the head.
- In Akame ga Kiru!, Chelsea catches Tatsumi attempting to peep at her bathing. She says she'll forgive him, but if he ever tries it again, she'll snip it off.
- Fatal Instinct. In the backstory, Max Shady threatened to cut off his lawyer Ned Ravine's penis after Ravine lost Shady's case.
- Men In Black: "I want you on the next transport off this rock or I'm going to shoot you where it don't grow back."
- In the sequel, we get this exchange: "You got kids?" "No." "You want 'em?" between an MIB guard and Frank the Pug.
- In The Three Musketeers (1993) when Cardinal Richelieu starts making advances on Lady DeWinter she pulls a knife and holds it to his crotch. Richelieu warns that he can have her executed with "a snap of [his] fingers" to which she replies, "And with a flick of my wrist I could change your religion"; he backs off.
- Fight Club. The threat to cut off someone's balls happens a few times. This is, after all, a movie about men who are deeply insecure about their masculinity.
- 9 to 5. Finally losing her temper at her Bad Boss, Doralee (Dolly Parton) threatens to "get that gun of mine, and turn you from a rooster to a hen in one shot!"
- A Clockwork Orange. Mr. Deltoid, a truancy officer, grabs protagonist Alex's crotch while warning him of the dangers of his skipping school.
- However, his extremely creepy actions throughout this scene suggest he did this more because he's a pervert than because he was trying to frighten Alex.
- And who can forget The Big Lebowski and the three German nihilists who corner the Dude in his Candlelit Bath and threaten to cut off his "johnson?"
- Happens very darkly in the backstory of Frances Dolarhyde in Red Dragon. His abusive grandmother would threaten to "cut it off" just for wetting the bed.
- Sergeant Mullins in The Heat is fond of playing False Roulette with a gun aimed at the interrogatee's groin.
- In Transporter 2, Lola holds a gun to Frank's groin and comments that she hates kids, but if he ever plans on having any, he'll cooperate. He reluctantly does.
- In The Man with the Golden Gun, James Bond interrogates a man by pointing a gun at his groin and saying, "Speak now or forever hold your piece."
- Unsurprisingly, the Discworld has a few examples:
- Cohen the Barbarian's explanation of psychological warfare in Interesting Times: "It's where you bang your shield all night before the fight so's the enemy can't get any sleep and you sing, 'We're gonna cut yer tonkers off!' and stuff like that."
- In The Fifth Elephant, Commander Vimes corners a suspect who tells him to "look down" at the knife he's holding to Vimes' stomach. Vimes' reply? "Look down further."
- In Yellow Blue Tibia, the protagonist is threatened by a cop, who is using a tape recorder to record everything but the threats, and who goes on and on about cutting that off and, while any hospital can transfuse blood, "there is no hospital in the world that can transfuse you a new set of balls!" The protagonist (inwardly) chuckles at this one-note attempt at intimidation, made worse when the cop realizes he's been recording only the threats.
- In Elizabeth Vaughan's Epic of Palins series, particularly White Star, the mage Marlon is fond of threatening to make people's balls rot off.
- In both A Song of Ice and Fire and the TV series Grand Master Pycelle finds himself on the receiving end of a threat from a mountain clansman to cut off his "mandhood" and feed it to a goat. Turns out this refers to his beard, and when he makes good on it Pycelle is sufficiently traumatized but probably glad it wasn't what he thought.
Live Action TV
- On The Big Bang Theory, when a large internet bully won't give Sheldon his things back, Penny hunts him down and says (cheerfully), "I've got good news. Today's the day a girl is finally going to touch you in your little special place!" Then she kicks him in the balls.
- Manager Yamaguchi-san threatened wrestling pornstar Val Venis, on the occasion of Venis making time with Yamaguchi's wife: "I CHOPPY-CHOPPY YOUR PEE-PEE!!"
- The legendary exchange between Salario and Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, quoted above.
- Actually carried through in In Extremis. Poor Abelard.
- During an interrogation during Thane's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2, a Renegade Shepard can choose to rough up the suspect and wrap things up like so:
Elias Kelham: Are we done here? Because I got people to see.
(Shepard slams his/her forearm against the guy's throat)
Shepard: I'm done being patient. Give me a name, or I'll cut your balls off and sell them to a krogan! note
- In No More Heroes, Sylvia says to Travis: "If I ever hear you mumble another woman's name in your sleep, you'll wake up the next morning with your joystick missing."
- A well-known part in Final Fantasy VII where Cloud, Tifa and Aeris threaten the resident pimp Don Corneo while likewise interrogating him by telling him they'll "cut", "rip" and "smash them" in turn.
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you can come across a note in the Ragged Flagon in which Vex threatens to cut off Delvin Mallory's "most valuable asset" if she ever catches him trying to spy on her bathing in the lake again.
- Berthold the Wolf from The Last Days Of FOXHOUND frequently makes more-or-less subtle threats to bite off other character's dicks if they don't do as they're told. (Since the only female member of the team is his mistress, Sniper Wolf, it's a convenient sort of threat.) At one point, Liquid comments on how often he uses that specific threat, and he basically just shrugs and goes "Hey, it works..."
- Mr. Welch "can't make anyone Jewish with a called shot".
- ...and feed them to the pigeons.
- Ultra Fast Pony. In the first episode, Applejack apparently mistakes Twilight for a stallion, because she threatens, "Don't even think about telling the law! I'll cut your nuts off!"
- Hellsing Abridged:
Integra: "You're going to spill every single thing you know or I'm going to have Walter here peel your dick like a banana!"
- In X-Men: Evolution, Rogue catches Spyke videotaping her without her permission. She tells him that, if she sees herself in his video when he presents it to their class, "They're going to call [him] Spyke-less."
- On The Boondocks, in Grandad's tale of "The Story Of Catcher Freeman", after the other slaves trick Masta Colonel into condensing his efforts at intimidation onto solely his Butt Monkey house slave Tobias, Masta Colonel states that if their work isn't done when he next comes out, "I'm cutting both [Tobias'] balls off."
- In another episode, Riley enlists Ed the Third's help in getting back a chain a bully stole from him. Ed hangs the kid upside down, and places two grapes in front of him. He tells him to imagine that the graps are his testicles, right before he smashes them with a sledgehammer. Ed threatens to do the same to him if he doesn't give back the chain. Ed being Ed, it turns out he got the wrong kid. Even though Riley gave him a picture.
- In Freaknik: The Musical, Jesse Jackson really wants to cut Freaknik's nuts off.
- A bizarre Freud Was Right train-equivalent example occurs in Thomas the Tank Engine where Sir Topham Hatt threatens to "cut Duncan down to size" if he acts up again. It's shown that he's referring to Duncan's rather long funnel and Duncan immediately behaves upon hearing said threat.
- In The Simpsons, Bart tries to avoid getting beaten up in a juvie by hanging on the fence separating the girl and boy side of the yard, but that just leads the leader of a girl's gang to threatened him with a "very uneventful puberty".