Japanese style of men's Loincloth. It is a single long piece of cloth wrapped into place and fastened by twisting and tucking alone. This versatile tying technique makes any suitable piece of cloth a potential fundoshi. A similar technique can also be used to wear cloth as a headband. Traditionally, the fundoshi was worn as a form of underwear. Its role as underwear has decreased in modern Japanese society, as more people wear Western-style boxers, briefs, panties, etc. The fundoshi still may be worn during traditional festivals, or as swimwear. A Sub-Trope of Loincloth. Compare Barely-There Swimwear, Sweater Girl, Sexy Soaked Shirt.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Yakitate Japan: To counteract Monica's bikini-clad attire, Suwabara ripped most of his clothes off except his underwear, which happens to be a fundoshi!
- In Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, Shigure and Hayato prefer fundoshi to Western-style bathing suits. Shigure also wears a chest wrap for her upper body and finds a standard two-piece bathing suit to be indecent.
- Shigure always wears a fundoshi.
- In the Gokusen manga, Ooshima more or less forces Shin to participate in a festival where the men traditionally wear fundoshi, because it's major Fetish Fuel for Kumiko.
- When Yotsuba&! sees someone in a fundoshi at the town festival, she reacts as a five-year-old probably would: "BUTT!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! BUTT!!!"
- In the Ouran High School Host Club manga, Tamaki must wear one of these if his team loses the sports festival. They do. He does
- Featured often in Gintama for comedic effect.
- Pesche from Bleach
- Another female example: Matabei Gotou from Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls wears this. In her case, it's definitely Fanservice... (She's not even wearing a skirt or anything over it!).
- Junko's from Demon King Daimao is the first thing we see of her; she also wears a Sarashi.
- Clain from Fractale, after being forced to change his dirty pants, reveals that it's his choice of underwear.
- Played for squicky laughs in a One Piece filler set in Medieval Japan, where Nami is hit by a strange piece of cloth... revealed to be Franky's Fundoshi. Her reaction is priceless.
- In Sakigake!! Otokojuku, fundoshi are the only underwear permitted by school rules. Consequently, all the students wear them.
- Baki the Grappler's Hanayama Kaoru is a Yakuza, and so a very traditional man. When he gets serious on a fight, he rips his clothes, shows his family's back tattoo and keeps on fighting. Wearing only a fundoshi.
- Goemon from Lupin III. Particularly of note on missions involving swimming or diving; the rest of the Lupin gang will opt for wetsuits, but not the highly traditional Goemon.
- Salamander from Yondemasu Yo Azazel San wears nothing but a fundoshi. It's a Shout-Out to Yukio Mishima (of whom Salamander is a parody of) posing in fundoshi with a sword for a photoshoot.
- In Fairy Tail, Elfman wears one adorned with a character meaning "honorable man".
- Kikuri of Hell Girl sports a pair of these. Though considering she looks to be about five years old at best (hard to tell with demons and all) it's definitely not for fanservice.
- Asu no Yoichi!: Yoichi in his show's requisite Beach Episode.
- In Cutey Honey, Danbei wears one for Fan Disservice.
- Kyou Kara Ore wa!! features it in a rather strange way: a character who tried to bully Mitsuhashi pre-series ended up bandaged in such a way it looked he was wearing a fundoshi over his head and nicknamed Fundoshi Mask as the start of Mitsuhashi completely ruining his life and forgetting about him.
- In New Getter Robo, Musashibo Benkei wears one in his debut episode (but only that episode).
- During a fight in a hot spring in the manga version of Love Hina, traditional Master Swordswoman Tsuruko Aoyama is shown to be wearing fundoshi; her younger sister and Hinata-sou resident Motoko is shown to wear regular white panties.
- ''Wolverine: Issue #301: In amidst of chaos, Sabertooth mentions that the yakuza thugs are riding on crotch-rockets armed with chainsaws. What's strange is that the only piece of clothing that the yakuzas are wearing is a fundoshi.
- The Green Hornet: Year One. When conducting research for Kato's origin, writer Matt Wagner was surprised to discover that Japanese underwear of the period essentially consisted of - as he put it - 'banana hammocks'. A scene involving Japanese soldiers in fundoshi ended up in the comic.
- In the Gargoyles spin-off Bad Guys, Yama is shown to wear a fundoshi while in stone sleep. It's also hinted from the clothing and equipment neatly laid out on the bed that he often wears an athletic cup.
- In the western movie Red Sun, Link Stewart took Kuroda's clothes while he is bathing. During a heated conversation between the two, Kuroda is standing on cold ground with only his fundoshi wrapped around him.
- Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke has a fundoshi as underwear.
- Many of Akira Kurosawa's movies, being set in medieval Japan, feature men wearing this (and often not much else).
- In Gung Ho, the Japanese plant managers are shown swimming in a river wearing fundoshi. In a version bowdlerized for cable TV, these were digitally retouched to look more like conventional swimsuits when seen from behind.
- Some Japanese professional wrestlers with sexual-charged gimmicks wear a thong or a fundoshi to emphasize it. Otoko Sakari, Manabu Murakami and Razor Ramon RG are examples.
- Whenever Aine makes an appearance in a Psikyo game, seeing him in a fundoshi is not uncommon...
- One of the endings in Sengoku Ace, involves Aine and Tengai exhibit their muscular bodies with only their fundoshi to cover their loins. Surprisingly, Tengai was okay with it!
- In Strikers 1945, if you use Shinden as your ship and your performance is outstanding, you'll see Aine in his loincloth in its full glory.
- In Gunbird 2, as he turn bullets into flowers, Aine twirls around with only his fundoshi around his waist
- The hidden ending of Neo Contra involves an over-the-top action sequence with Jaguar. It ends with Jaguar "swimming" into the cosmos with his red fundoshi while Bill Rizer is holding the frontal flap of Jaguar's fundoshi.
- Monster Maulers: To emphasize the eccentric nature of Monster Maulers, Kotetsu wears a fundoshi as part of his apparel
- Guardians: In a distant future setting, Tulks puts on a fundoshi under his gun holster belt
- Shadow Hearts: Kurando can equip it as one of his accessories, although you can see him wearing a fundoshi when he transforms into Shuten-Douji.
- Also, one of the stud cards features a muscular man wielding a katana and a red fundoshi to encompass his Japanese nationality.
- As a consequence of fandom injokes, Rinnosuke from Touhou (particularly his counterpart Mannosuke) is often depicted wearing nothing but a fundoshi.
- In Tengai Makyou IV: The Apocalypse, Zengo presented himself with a red fundoshi before he joins your party
- Taking inspiration from Yukio Mishima, Gotou in Shin Megami Tensei I wears a fundoshi in battle.
- Speaking of Shin Megami Tensei, several demons such as pre-Soul Hackers Loki and Soul Hacker design Take-Mikazuchi all wear a fundoshi.
- Valentine from Skullgirls wears a pair. It's implied that she only wears them because she sits around all day, idolising Japanese culture and watching anime, and doesn't know that they're traditionally worn by men.
- Persona 4 has a fundoshi as armor. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on their in-game models. On the other hand, Shadow Kanji is clad in one when you first confront him.
- Heihachi's 1P costume from Tekken 4. Enough said....
- Also shows up as his Alt costume in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale as a direct response to fan outcry that they wanted his old man appearance.
- As one of the swimsuit pieces in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, most of the men can wear a fundoshi regardless of nationality.
- In Virtua Fighter 5, Akira, Kage, and Lei Fei can put on a fundoshi as their swimsuit attire.
- Juuichi's fundoshi scene during the camping arc of Morenatsu. Also, Tatsuki is sometimes seen outdoors in his fundoshi.
- Mizoguchi's alternate costume in King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 Regulation A wears nothing but a fundoshi.
- Sugoroku from Samurai Shodown 6 shows off his fundoshi under his blue happi coat
- The Ruan Brothers from Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty all share the same muscled physique with a rokushaku fundoshi as their base sprite. The only difference is that they put on different colored loincloth and various heads.
- One of Zafira's unlockable swimsuits in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha As Portable: The Gears of Destiny. The other one is an Old-Timey Bathing Suit.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes: Jin's taunt and anti-air animation show he's not afraid to be traditional in more than one way.
- BlazBlue's Bang Shishigami wears one beneath his outfit, and it's the only clothing that survives his Astral Heat.
- Way of the Samurai Since it takes place in the pre-modern Japan, it is not uncommon to see the male NPCs wearing a fundoshi.
- Also, in Way of the Samurai 3 and 4, you have the option to wear nothing but a fundoshi at the character selection screen.
- Rowen from Tales of Xillia wears one under his beach robe.
- As part of the Gangland style pack, Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs wears a fundoshi to complement his Irezumi tattoos
- In Kenka Bancho, you can find one hidden inside the women's bathhouse at a local inn. Plus, you can wear it!
- As one of the DLC costumes in Yakuza 5, Kazuma wears a fundoshi!
- In Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, one of the sidequests requires Kiryu to reveal his musculature physique with only his fundoshi-clad attire in front of the NPC.
- In Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin, Ryoma Sakamoto is often involved in situations where he he had nothing but his loincloth. This ranges from his clothes being stolen from the bathhouse to getting laid at the brothel.
- This is considered traditional in Japan so expect to see it at almost any culture festival that involves men with special outfits. Special manliness points go to Hokkaidō men who wear only this in the snow and the Kurama hi-matsuri (fire festival), where men do this while holding 20 foot long torches on their shoulders.
- Also a pride point for many Yakuza, who loudly proclaim their traditionalist ways. Anytime they pose for their elaborate back tattoos (irezumi), there is about a 99% chance that they will do it in fundoshi.