open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Yakitate!! Japan: To counteract Monica's bikini-clad attire, Suwabara ripped most of his clothes off except his underwear, which happens to be a fundoshi!
- The manga version of Shigurui often depicts artwork of Fujiki and Irako in a fundoshi
- In Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, Shigure and Hayato prefer fundoshi to Western-style bathing suits. Shigure also wears a chest wrap for her upper body and finds a standard two-piece bathing suit to be indecent.
- Shigure always wears a fundoshi.
- In the Gokusen manga, Ooshima more or less forces Shin to participate in a festival where the men traditionally wear fundoshi, because it's major Fetish Fuel for Kumiko.
- When Yotsuba&! sees someone in a fundoshi at the town festival, she reacts as a five-year-old probably would: "BUTT!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! BUTT!!!"
- In the Ouran High School Host Club manga, Tamaki must wear one of these if his team loses the sports festival. They do. He does
- Featured often in Gintama for comedic effect.
- Pesche from Bleach
- Another female example: Matabei Gotou from Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls wears this. In her case, it's definitely Fanservice... (She's not even wearing a skirt or anything over it!).
- Junko's from Demon King Daimao is the first thing we see of her; she also wears a Sarashi.
- Clain from Fractale, after being forced to change his dirty pants, reveals that it's his choice of underwear.
- Played for squicky laughs in a One Piece filler set in Medieval Japan, where Nami is hit by a strange piece of cloth... revealed to be Franky's Fundoshi. Her reaction is priceless.
- In Sakigake!! Otokojuku, fundoshi are the only underwear permitted by school rules. Consequently, all the students wear them.
- Baki the Grappler's Hanayama Kaoru is a Yakuza, and so a very traditional man. When he gets serious on a fight, he rips his clothes, shows his family's back tattoo and keeps on fighting. Wearing only a fundoshi.
- Goemon from Lupin III. Particularly of note on missions involving swimming or diving; the rest of the Lupin gang will opt for wetsuits, but not the highly traditional Goemon.
- Salamander from Yondemasu Yo Azazel San wears nothing but a fundoshi. It's a Shout-Out to Yukio Mishima (of whom Salamander is a parody of) posing in fundoshi with a sword for a photoshoot.
- In Fairy Tail, Elfman wears one adorned with a character meaning "honorable man".
- Kikuri of Hell Girl sports a pair of these. Though considering she looks to be about five years old at best (hard to tell with demons and all) it's definitely not for fanservice.
- Samurai Harem: Asu no Yoichi: Yoichi in his show's requisite Beach Episode.
- In Cutey Honey, Danbei wears one for Fan Disservice.
- Kyou Kara Ore wa!! features it in a rather strange way: a character who tried to bully Mitsuhashi pre-series ended up bandaged in such a way it looked he was wearing a fundoshi over his head and nicknamed Fundoshi Mask as the start of Mitsuhashi completely ruining his life and forgetting about him.
- In New Getter Robo, Musashibo Benkei wears one in his debut episode (but only that episode).
- During a fight in a hot spring in the manga version of Love Hina, traditional Master Swordswoman Tsuruko Aoyama is shown to be wearing fundoshi; her younger sister and Hinata-sou resident Motoko is shown to wear regular white panties.
- In the manga K: Stray Dog Story, Kuroh fights a monster underwater wearing just a fundoshi. He loses, gets out of the water, and angsts attractively against a rock.
- In the anime of the otome game Kamigami No Asobi, Takeru Totsuka (a.k.a. the sea god Susanoo) wears one in the swimsuit episode (episode 3).
- Shokugeki no Soma:
- ''Wolverine: Issue #301: In amidst of chaos, Sabertooth mentions that the yakuza thugs are riding on crotch-rockets armed with chainsaws. What's strange is that the only piece of clothing that the yakuzas are wearing is a fundoshi.
- The Green Hornet: Year One. When conducting research for Kato's origin, writer Matt Wagner was surprised to discover that Japanese underwear of the period essentially consisted of - as he put it - 'banana hammocks'. A scene involving Japanese soldiers in fundoshi ended up in the comic.
- In the Gargoyles spin-off Bad Guys, Yama is shown to wear a fundoshi while in stone sleep. It's also hinted from the clothing and equipment neatly laid out on the bed that he often wears an athletic cup.
- In the western movie Red Sun, Link Stewart took Kuroda's clothes while he is bathing. During a heated conversation between the two, Kuroda is standing on cold ground with only his fundoshi wrapped around him.
- Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke has a fundoshi as underwear.
- Many of Akira Kurosawa's movies, being set in medieval Japan, feature men wearing this (and often not much else).
- In Gung Ho, the Japanese plant managers are shown swimming in a river wearing fundoshi. In a version bowdlerized for cable TV, these were digitally retouched to look more like conventional swimsuits when seen from behind.
- Some Japanese professional wrestlers with sexual-charged gimmicks wear a thong or a fundoshi to emphasize it. Otoko Sakari, Manabu Murakami and Razor Ramon RG are examples.
- BlazBlue's Bang Shishigami wears one beneath his outfit, it's the only clothing that survives his Astral Heat.
- The hidden ending of Neo Contra involves an over-the-top action sequence with Jaguar. It ends with Jaguar "swimming" into the cosmos with his red fundoshi while Bill Rizer is holding the frontal flap of Jaguar's fundoshi.
- Guardians: Tulks wears a fundoshi with his gun holster belt.
- In Kenka Bancho, you can find one hidden inside the women's bathhouse at a local inn. Plus, you can wear it!
- Mizoguchi's alternate costume in King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 Regulation A wears nothing but a fundoshi.
- One of Zafira's unlockable swimsuits in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable : The Gears of Destiny. The other one is an Old-Timey Bathing Suit.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes: Jin's taunt and anti-air animation show he's not afraid to be traditional in more than one way.
- Monster Maulers: To emphasize the eccentric nature of the game, Kotetsu wears little more than a fundoshi.
- Juuichi's fundoshi scene during the camping arc of Morenatsu. Also, Tatsuki is sometimes seen outdoors in a fundoshi.
- The Ruan Brothers from Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty are headswaps of each other. All sharing the same muscled physique with a rokushaku fundoshi as their base sprite.
- Persona 4 has a fundoshi as equipable armor. It doesn't appear on their in-game models. However, Shadow Kanji is clad in one when you first confront him.
- Whenever Aine makes an appearance in a Psikyo game, seeing him in a fundoshi is not uncommon...
- One of the endings in Sengoku Ace, involves Aine and Tengai exhibit their muscular bodies with only their fundoshi to cover their loins. Surprisingly, Tengai was okay with it!
- In Strikers 1945, if you use Shinden as your ship and your performance is outstanding, you'll see Aine in his loincloth in its full glory.
- In Gunbird 2, as he turns bullets into flowers, Aine twirls around with only his fundoshi around his waist.
- Sugoroku from Samurai Shodown 6 wears a fundoshi under his blue happi coat.
- Shadow Hearts: Kurando can equip one as one of his accessories, you can see him wearing a fundoshi when he transforms into Shuten-Douji.
- Also, one of the stud cards features a muscular man wielding a katana and wearing a red fundoshi to encompass his Japanese nationality.
- Taking inspiration from Yukio Mishima, Gotou in Shin Megami Tensei I wears a fundoshi in battle.
- Speaking of Shin Megami Tensei, several demons such as pre-Soul Hackers Loki and Soul Hacker design Take-Mikazuchi wear a fundoshi.
- Valentine from Skullgirls wears a pair. It's implied that she only wears them because she sits around all day, idolising Japanese culture and watching anime, and doesn't know that they're traditionally worn by men.
- As part of the Gangland style pack, Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs wears a fundoshi to complement his Irezumi tattoos.
- Rowen from Tales of Xillia wears one with a beach robe for his swimwear costume.
- Heihachi's 1P costume from Tekken 4. Enough said....
- Also shows up as his Alt costume in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale as a direct response to fan outcry that they wanted his old man appearance.
- As one of the swimsuit pieces in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, most of the men can wear a fundoshi regardless of nationality.
- In Tengai Makyou IV: The Apocalypse, Zengo presents himself in a red fundoshi before he joins your party.
- As a consequence of fandom injokes, Rinnosuke from Touhou (particularly his counterpart Mannosuke) is often depicted wearing nothing but a fundoshi.
- In Virtua Fighter 5, Akira, Kage, and Lei Fei can put on a fundoshi as their swimsuit attire.
- Way of the Samurai Since it takes place in the pre-modern Japan, it is not uncommon to see the male NPCs wearing a fundoshi.
- Also, in Way of the Samurai 3 and 4, you have the option to wear nothing but a fundoshi at the character selection screen.
- The characters in Xenoblade Chronicles X can wear a fundoshi as one of the costume pieces. However, the US/EU version edited the fundoshi to look like white shorts.
- As one of the DLC costumes in Yakuza 5, Kazuma wears a fundoshi!
- In Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, one of the sidequests requires Kiryu to reveal his musculature physique with only his fundoshi-clad attire in front of the NPC.
- In Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin, Ryoma Sakamoto is often involved in situations where he is in nothing but his loincloth. This ranges from his clothes being stolen from the bathhouse to getting laid at the brothel.
- Fundoshi is worn as swimwear and underwear by male Hoshidan characters in Fire Emblem Fates, to contrast with the Nohr men, who wear black trunks under their outfits. Ryoma even wears a special red Hoshidan-themed fundoshi in the game's Beach Episode.
- This is considered traditional in Japan so expect to see it at almost any culture festival that involves men with special outfits. Special manliness points go to Hokkaidō men who wear only this in the snow and the Kurama hi-matsuri (fire festival), where men do this while holding 20 foot long torches on their shoulders.
- Also a pride point for many Yakuza, who loudly proclaim their traditionalist ways. Anytime they pose for their elaborate back tattoos (irezumi), there is about a 99% chance that they will do it in fundoshi.