We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
A fundoshi in practical application.
The fundoshi (Japanese: 褌 / ふんどし) is the traditional Japanese
style of men's Loincloth
. It is a single long piece of cloth wrapped into place and fastened by twisting and tucking alone. This versatile tying technique makes any suitable piece of cloth a potential fundoshi. A similar technique can also be used to wear cloth as a headband.
Traditionally, the fundoshi was worn as a form of underwear. Its role as underwear has decreased in modern Japanese society, as more people wear Western-style boxers, briefs, panties, etc. The fundoshi still may be worn during traditional festivals, or as swimwear.
Compare Barely-There Swimwear
, Sweater Girl
, Sexy Soaked Shirt
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, Shigure and Hayato prefer fundoshi to Western-style bathing suits. Shigure also wears a chest wrap for her upper body and finds a standard two-piece bathing suit to be indecent.
- Shigure always wears a fundoshi.
- In the Gokusen manga, Ooshima more or less forces Shin to participate in a festival where the men traditionally wear fundoshi, because it's major Fetish Fuel for Kumiko.
- When Yotsuba!! sees someone in a fundoshi at the town festival, she reacts as a five-year-old probably would: "BUTT!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! BUTT!!!"
- In the Ouran High School Host Club manga, Tamaki must wear one of these if his team loses the sports festival. They do. He does
- Featured often in Gintama for comedic effect.
- Pesche from Bleach
- Ikkaku wears one in the "Bleach on the Beach" chapter.
- Another female example: Matabei Gotou from Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls wears this. In her case, it's definitely Fanservice... (She's not even wearing a skirt or anything over it!).
- Junko's from Ichiban Ushiro No Daimaou is the first thing we see of her; she also wears a Sarashi.
- Clain from Fractale, after being forced to change his dirty pants, reveals that it's his choice of underwear.
- Played for squicky laughs in a One Piece filler set in Medieval Japan, where Nami is hit by a strange piece of cloth... revealed to be Franky's Fundoshi. Her reaction is priceless.
- In Sakigake!! Otokojuku, fundoshi are the only underwear permitted by school rules. Consequently, all the students wear them.
- Baki the Grappler's Hanayama Kaoru is a Yakuza, and so a very traditional man. When he gets serious on a fight, he rips his clothes, shows his family's back tattoo and keeps on fighting. Wearing only a fundoshi.
- Goemon from Lupin III. Particularly of note on missions involving swimming or diving; the rest of the Lupin gang will opt for wetsuits, but not the highly traditional Goemon.
- Salamander from Yondemasu Yo Azazel San wears nothing but a fundoshi. It's a Shout-Out to Yukio Mishima (of whom Salamander is a parody of) posing in fundoshi with a sword for a photoshoot.
- In Fairy Tail, Elfman wears one adorned with a character meaning "honorable man".
- Kikuri of Hell Girl sports a pair of these. Though considering she looks to be about five years old at best (hard to tell with demons and all) it's definitely not for fanservice.
- Asu no Yoichi!: Yoichi in his show's requisite Beach Episode.
- In Cutey Honey, Danbei wears one for Fan Disservice.
- Kyou Kara Ore wa!! features it in a rather strange way: a character who tried to bully Mitsuhashi pre-series ended up bandaged in such a way it looked he was wearing a fundoshi over his head and nicknamed Fundoshi Mask as the start of Mitsuhashi completely ruining his life and forgetting about him.
- The Green Hornet: Year One. When conducting research for Kato's origin, writer Matt Wagner was surprised to discover that Japanese underwear of the period essentially consisted of - as he put it - 'banana hammocks'. A scene involving Japanese soldiers in fundoshi ended up in the comic.
- In the Gargoyles spin-off Bad Guys, Yama is shown to wear a fundoshi while in stone sleep. It's also hinted from the clothing and equipment neatly laid out on the bed that he often wears an athletic cup.
- Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke has a fundoshi as underwear.
- Many of Akira Kurosawa's movies, being set in medieval Japan, feature men wearing this (and often not much else).
- In Gung Ho, the Japanese plant managers are shown swimming in a river wearing fundoshi. In a version bowdlerized for cable TV, these were digitally retouched to look more like conventional swimsuits when seen from behind.
- Some Japanese professional wrestlers with sexual-charged gimmicks wear a thong or a fundoshi to emphasize it. Otoko Sakari, Manabu Murakami and Razor Ramon RG are examples.
- To demonstrate his Macho camp persona, Aine from Sengoku Ace wears it with pride. One of the endings of Sengoku Ace, Aine and Tengai only wore a fundoshi when they exhibit their muscular bodies. Surprisingly, Tengai was okay with it!
- In Strikers 1945, if your performance is excellent, you'll see Aine in his loincloth in its full glory.
- Guardians: In a distant future setting, Tulks puts on a fundoshi under his gun hoister belt
- Shadow Hearts: Kurando can equip it as one of his accessories, although you can see him wearing a fundoshi when he transforms into Shuten-Douji.
- As a consequence of fandom injokes, Rinnosuke from Touhou (particularly his counterpart Mannosuke) is often depicted wearing nothing but a fundoshi.
- Taking inspiration from Yukio Mishima, Gotou in Shin Megami Tensei I wears a fundoshi in battle.
- Speaking of Shin Megami Tensei, several demons such as pre-Soul Hackers Loki and Soul Hacker design Take-Mikazuchi all wear a fundoshi.
- Valentine from Skullgirls wears a pair. It's implied that she only wears them because she sits around all day, idolising Japanese culture and watching anime, and doesn't know that they're traditionally worn by men.
- Persona 4 has a fundoshi as armor. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on their in-game models. On the other hand, Shadow Kanji is clad in one when you first confront him.
- Heihachi's 1P costume from Tekken 4. Enough said....
- Juuichi's fundoshi scene during the camping arc of Morenatsu. Also, Tatsuki is sometimes seen outdoors in his fundoshi.
- Mizoguchi's alternate costume in King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 Regulation A wears nothing but a fundoshi.
- The Ruan Brothers from Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty all share the same muscled physique with a rokushaku fundoshi as their base sprite. The only difference is that they put on different colored loincloth and various heads.
- One of Zafira's unlockable swimsuits in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable : The Gears of Destiny. The other one is an Old-Timey Bathing Suit.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes: Jin's taunt and anti-air animation show he's not afraid to be traditional in more than one way.
- BlazBlue's Bang Shishigami wears one beneath his outfit, and it's the only clothing that survives his Astral Heat.
- Way of the Samurai Since it takes place in the pre-modern Japan, it is not uncommon to see the male NPCs wearing a fundoshi.
- Also, in Way of the Samurai 3 and 4, you have the option to wear nothing but a fundoshi at the character selection screen.
- Rowen from Tales of Xillia wears a fundoshi as his swimsuit costume.
- In Kenka Bancho, you can find one hidden inside the women's bathhouse at a local inn. Plus, you can wear it!
- Samurai Jack wears a fundoshi under his usual outfit. Since Jack suffers Clothing Damage in half the episodes, he has many, many fundoshi scenes. This has contributed to making Jack a very potent Mr. Fanservice.
- This is considered traditional in Japan so expect to see it at almost any culture festival that involves men with special outfits. Special manliness points go to Hokkaidō men who wear only this in the snow and the Kurama hi-matsuri (fire festival), where men do this while holding 20 foot long torches on their shoulders.
- Also a pride point for many Yakuza, who loudly proclaim their traditionalist ways. Anytime they pose for their elaborate back tattoos (irezumi), there is about a 99% chance that they will do it in fundoshi.