You've got an ethnic group, pretty much hunted to extinction. But they're not all dead. Enter these guys, the lost tribe. Goes hand in hand with Always Chaotic Evil, Always Lawful Good, Schizo Tech, and Planet of Hats. Also seen with Last of His Kind.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Yu-Gi-Oh! has survivors of Atlantis.
- The B-movie Mexican Blow has Indians from north of the Rio Grande who migrated to southern Mexico to escape the white man and speak English so they won't be tricked by the white man again. All the Indians are white, but the main character is a Mighty Whitey too.
- At Play In The Fields of the Lord has theories that the Niaruna are the Lost Tribes of Israel or a lost tribe of Sioux.
- The Star Wars Expanded Universe has the Lost Tribe of the Sith. Also the Jedi in Dark Empire. And the Dathomiri, and probably a few others. Kind of a Justified Trope when you've got Casual Interstellar Travel; there's a hell of a lot of galaxy to lose yourselves in, intentionally or otherwise.
- Kushiels Legacy has the main character of the first trilogy run into the Tribe of Dan, one of the Lost Tribes of Israel, guarding the Ark of the Covenant down around what in our world is Lake Victoria.
Live Action TV
- The titular lost tribe in the Stargate Atlantis episode "The Lost Tribe".
- The Goodies: In "The Lost Tribe of the Orinoco", the Goodies go in search of the eponymous lost tribe and find it in a most unexpected location.
Mythology & Religion
- The lost tribes of Israel are the Trope Namer. Either in The Bible or The Book of Mormon. Mormons believe that American Indians are descended from Jews.
- More accurately, descended from Manassites who lived in Jerusalem. Europeans are mostly descended from Ephraim, so most people in the Americas are from Joseph.
- In New Age beliefs, American Indians are aliens.
- Chrono Trigger has a lost tribe of Mystics, and survivors of the Kingdom Of Zeal.
- Final Fantasy likes to use this trope:
- The Legend of Dragoon has the last surviving dragons.
- Uzo and Muzo are the last survivors of the Mt. Gokuho clan in the game Kingdom of Paradise. Shinbu makes them lost for good.
- The Nazis considered the Sioux, Japanese, and Tibetans to be Aryans. Only the Sioux rejected the label.
- Actually, they only considered the Japanese "honorary Aryans". It was fully expected that when they didn't need each other anymore, the two nations of Proud Warrior Race Guys would go right back to considering the other absolutely inferior.
- Lost tribes of Native North American are found all the time. They live like modern people and are really not all that different.
- Perhaps the best example of this trope in real life is the Sentinalese tribe, which may very well be the most isolated group of indigenous people on earth. They live on North Sentinel Island in the Indian Ocean, and violently reject all attempts at contact, shooting at all outsiders with arrows. Because of that, we know next to nothing about them, including their customs, language, and how they live. The last attempt at contact was made in the mid 1990's, and since then, they've been left alone, and it's very unlikely that will change anytime soon.
- Previously unknown offshoots of the Jewish diaspora show up every decade or so.
- The Other Wiki has an article on the subject.