"And they are a perfect match for us... Okay what I mean is one woman is white and the other just happens to be of the African-American persuasion."If there's a love triangle with a man and woman of the same minority race and another person who's white, the people of the same race will be meant to be together. Differs from a Token Minority Couple in that there the only races that matter are white and non-white but this is about the two people matching. White women always like black men and white men want Asian women but some times couples are just happier with someone who's the same race, nationality, or even religion. It might be a conscious choice of the characters saying that they feel obligated to be together because they're both the same. They might feel entitled be together but a white person tries to keep them apart but fails and so we see the strength of their relationship. To emphasis the difference between the white person trying to keep them apart and the black people, the white one is probably blonde. It might be done as a black on black Token Minority Couple as the Black Best Friend making a Beta Couple with another black person. This is one trope we can partially blame The Hays Code for. Prior to the code, interracial pairs (particularly Black/White) had been done before (not perfectly, but done nonetheless), but the Hays Code forbade any form of interracial relationships until 1956. The belief of white going with white will be found under Where Da White Women At?. The belief of blacks belonging together will be found here. Usually Salt and Pepper are not a romantic couple, but a friendship. Contrast Maligned Mixed Marriage.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- A fantasy universe example: In Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, Fynn, the Prum captain of the Loki Familia, is a person who works to restore his race's pride. Because of this he naturally prefers dating another Prum instead of Tiona, an Amazon who is utterly smitten with him. He eventually decides to propose to Lilly, the only other Prum in the cast, who rejects him in favor of Bell, a human. He then tries to have a duel with Bell (who is badly outmatched) to settle it, but is forced to flee from Tione's advances before he could do so.
- Batman's two most persistent villainous Love Interests are Talia al Ghul (East Asian and/or Arab) and Catwoman (white). The former eventually becomes Daddy's Little Villain after his death while the latter remains in the game.
- In The Walking Dead, Michonne is only attracted to black men. She has a hard time because, while she clearly craves love and affection, there are very few to go around at any given time.
Films — Animated
- In The Princess and the Frog, black Tiana gets together with dark-skinned Prince Naveen, even though her friend Charlotte, who is white, was interested in him.
Films — Live-Action
- Obsessed tells the story of Lisa, an office temp, who falls in love with her boss, Derek Charles (a black man) and attempts to seduce him and break up him and his wife Sharon (also black), by claiming that she had an affair with him.
- In Save the Last Dance A black female character criticizes the white girl for falling in love with a black youth with a bright future. She says she hates how white girls always take the decent black men, leaving black girls with the black men that are criminals and gang members.
- In Shanghai Noon. Chon Wang ends up with Princess Pei-Pei, who are both from China, while Roy O'Bannon ends up with Falling Leaves, who are both from... America.
Live Action TV
- The Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode "Snitch" has an African man married to a couple of African women and a white one. In the end of the episode it's just him and his black wife.
- 7th Heaven:
- One episode has Matt's best friend and roommate, who is black, try to pair up him and Matt with a couple of women in the building and it's obvious that he'll be with the black one and Matt will be with the white one.
- Another episode has Simon's friend Nigel say that there's a desirable girl in his class who could have picked anyone to be her boyfriend and she picked him. Come to find out that she's black like him.
- Season 8 of Degrassi has an episode where Connor, who's black, helps get KC and Clare, who are white, together. In gratitude the writers give him a black girl as admirer. It's like when Liberty (black) is rejected by Sean but in the end she finds out that his black friend likes her.
- In Heroes, Hiro Nakamura is transported to feudal Japan where he meets and falls in love with the beautiful Yaeko. He also meets his hero Takezo Kensei who is in love with Yaeko as well. Hiro's Japanese hero turns out to be a white Englishman. Yaeko falls in love with Hiro, not Kensei.
- On Glee, Asian Tina leaves white Artie for also-Asian Mike between seasons one and two. This led to some flanderization since in the first season, their race was purely incidental, but from the second season on, both characters and their relationship became a never-ending Margaret Cho punchline. Fortunately, the other interracial love triangles on the show don't make a big deal out of race, such as blonde Brittany breaking up with Artie to go back to Hispanic Santana, or black Mercedes choosing white Sam over black Shane.
- Subverted in Disney Channel show The Jersey, where Coleman (who's black) and Theo (who's white) date a white girl and black girl, respectively.
- In the Supernatural episode ''Crossroad Blues'' (S02, Ep08), the crossroad demon takes the form of a beautiful black woman when summoned by the famous blues musician Robert Johnson, but when the white Dean Winchester summons the crossroad demon, she takes a beautiful white woman as a vessel.
- On Seinfeld, Kramer and Mickey double-date two women, but can't decide who should date which woman. Kramer finds out that the parents of one of the women are little people, so he says Mickey (a little person) should date her because "they have more in common", while he dates the other woman. As Mickey is a Serial Spouse (and rather proud of it), he rushes into a Fourth Date Marriage with his woman incredibly quickly. Subverted when the bride walks down the altar and whispers to Kramer that she wanted him all along, while Kramer's date is so in love with Mickey that she can't bear to watch him marry someone else and runs out of the church in tears.
- On Scream Queens (2015) Zayday (black) is courted by Earl Grey - the only black member of the Dickie Dollar Scholars. It's later revealed that Boone fancies her too, and he's white. But since Boone is one of the killers, Earl Grey is obviously presented as the 'right' one for Zayday. Doesn't stop Boone from killing him though.
- Subverted when it comes to the JD/Molly/Kylie love triangle (JD and Molly are white, Kylie is black). JD is sort-of seeing Kylie but the old flame Molly comes back into town, and he's very tempted to make a pass at her. He chooses not to and goes to Kylie. But of course when she finds out he blew her off to hang out with Molly, they split up.
- A Season 2 episode had JD and Turk flirting with a waitress called Jenny, and wondering which of them she likes better. She's black, so she turns out to prefer Turk.
- Agent Carter's second season introduces a black love interest Jason Wilkes for Peggy. This creates a love triangle between them and the white Daniel Sousa. Peggy ultimately chooses Sousa.
- Del Tha Funkee Homosapien's song "Dark-Skinned Girls" expresses his preference for black women lyrically and at great length.
- In Dumbing of Age, Joe tries to hook his friend Danny (white) with Sarah (black), whom he essentially picked arbitrarily from a crowd. Danny declines interest, since he hadn't gotten over his recent break-up. Joe claims that Danny's just racist. Shortly thereafter Danny meets Amber (white), and has a thought-bubble vision of Joe calling him a racist again. When Joe actually meets Amber, he's more concerned with the fact that she just happens to look uncannily similar to Danny's ex.
- On the December 5, 2014, page of Dasien, prison fugitive Gizmo Bug declares his love for Goldie, who had just stolen a jade statuette.
Dasien: I had a feeling that you were the one behind Goldie's flight pack, you green twit!Gizmo Bug: Another correct deduction from the Blonde Bombshell! And I would be more upset by your insults had I not formed such an amorous alliance with a Golden Goddess!Goldie: *tee-hee* You have such a way with words, Gizzy!
- This is thoroughly explored on South Park when a new girl comes to the school and is the only black female student (in the same year as the main characters anyway). She and Kyle share a mutual crush but Cartman insists on pushing her together with Token since Token and the black girl, Nichole, are the only ones at the school of their race and gender. At the end of the episode Kyle ends up alone since Nichole is with Token. Cartman even points out that the only two Latino students in the school are dating as proof, but it turns out that Cartman had been responsible for them getting together as well.
- Then it was played for laughs when Cartman's cupid set him up with someone "like" him, an ugly and fat girl with halitosis.
- Daria: Mack and Jodie, who are two of the few African American students at Lawndale High, are dating each other. While they do like each other, they also feel the social pressure to be good role models for the local black community. It is not clear how much of their relationship is due to one and how much to the other.
- On Total Drama, Duncan (white) was with Courtney (Hispanic) but cheats on her with Gwen (also white), with whom he ends up when Courtney finds out and dumps him. Particularly egregious because Courtney then falls for Alejandro, the only other Hispanic character on the show. (Though to be fair, he's only interested in Asian Heather, who ultimately rejects him).
- On Danny Phantom, Danny (white) has a longstanding infatuation on Paulina (Hispanic) and a brief relationship with Valerie (black), but ultimately winds up with his white friend, Sam.
- In Season 3 of As Told by Ginger Ginger and Darren are dating - Ginger is white and Darren is black. Darren instead falls for the black Simone, and Ginger for the white Orion. Subverted as of the Distant Finale where Darren and Ginger are revealed to have married and had children.