Nathan Fillion is a Canadian TV and movie actor who started off in the soaps
. Since then, he's moved on to a number of famous roles. A few of his characters can be morally questionable or bordering jerkass
territory, but he's a really nice guy in person
. And quite a comedian
.His roles include:
- Malcolm Reynolds, captain of the Firefly-class vessel Serenity.
- Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck, one of the main ODSTs in Bungie's Halo 3: ODST. He was with two other Firefly mains, Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudyk. Some joke that he's basically playing Mal with a new name, due to similar personalities, and since they went Ink-Suit Actor on him, identical faces and hairstyles, as well as voice.
- Richard Castle, novelist-turned police consultant in the self-titled series Castle.
- Captain Hammer, Dr. Horrible's nemesis.
- Caleb in Season 7 Buffy, evil guy with Catholic priest theme, dragon to the season's Big Bad and the complete opposite of his usual on-screen persona.
- Alex Tully in Drive, another cancelled-after-4-episodes series from Tim Minear.
- Bill Pardy, town sheriff from Slither.
- Father David in Dracula 2000.
- Steve Trevor, the male romantic lead in the Wonder Woman animated film.
- Dr. Pomatter in the independent comedy Waitress.
- Constable Dogberry in Joss Whedon's production of William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.
- Johnny Worthington III in Monsters University.
- Hermes, god of thieves and travelers and father of Luke Castellan in Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.
The first of those roles earned him most of his recognition, despite the short run of the series. Numerous bit parts include cameos as Buck in Halo: Reach
, a Sgt. Reynolds
in Halo 3
, James Frederick
Ryan in Saving Private Ryan
, and Kate's ex-husband in LOST
. Before that, BioWare
had him voicing Gao The Lesser in Jade Empire
. He also voiced Vigilante in Justice League Unlimited
He was also used as Hal Jordan
in a fan trailer for the proposed Green Lantern
film, which he thought was awesome. He wasn't actually cast in Green Lantern
, but he was
cast as Hal in the 2011 direct-to-DVD DCAU Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
. He reprised the role in Justice League: Doom
and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
. Similarly, he was in talks to play Captain America
, but the role went to Chris Evans
. However, he did end up playing a superhero (well, a satirical one anyway) known as The Holy Avenger in Slither
director James Gunn's second film Super
. He's also begun a Viral Marketing
campaign to get himself the role of Nathan Drake
. Comment here and help him out!
, he said in a recent interview
that if he had $300 million, he'd buy the rights to Firefly
and make it his own. This being the internet, a brief but passionate movement sprang up to help him do such a thing, but it fell apart due to a lack of official support from Fillion himself and/or Joss Whedon
He has a Twitter account
and is very good at making Memetic Mutation Catch Phrases
such as "Bam, said the lady" and "Feed the birds." Both have had cameos on his hit show Castle
(as well as "Double Rainbow", a meme that he didn't
He's also One of Us
. Con-goers pass around a story where a few friends sat down for some Firefly
pen-and-paper action. Nathan approached the table and purportedly requested to play as... River. His interactions with fans extend online as well, as evidenced in the following: In early August of 2012, he conducted a question-and-answer session on Reddit
. Here's proof for the skeptics
that it is/was really him. Some other geek facts:
- He kicked Justin Bieber's ass in Halo: Reach. According to him it "felt good". Also, there are two exceptions to the statement "Only Bungie employees have flaming heads in Halo 3." Those two are a contest winner and Nathan Fillion.
- He has dated Tricia Helfer (Number Six in Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined)) in the past, and called it the best date he had ever had when questioned on it by a fan.
Bizarrely, he has been mistaken
for Jason Bateman
several times by both normal people and celebrities alike to the point where it is a Real Life Running Gag
. But of course, Nathan takes no offense to it and continues documenting the instances where it happens because he's just that awesome. It might help that on one of those occasions it got him out of a speeding ticket
Oh, and he really is ruggedly handsome
Tropes Associated with Mr. Fillion:
- Adorkable: A fan joke about Nathan's personality is that he doesn't have scripts for Castle, he's just told what's going to happen and reminded he has to answer to Richard.
- Large Ham: At times, though it comes with being Fun Personified.
- Old Shame: Averted. Surprisingly, he has nice things to say about his Soap Opera days and unashamedly tells funny stories about "three faces of acting" as well as how useful a school it was.
- One of Us: He's an avid gamer (see him here at GenCon SoCal◊)and into lots of out-of-mainstream stuff. And he's sorry too that Firefly was cancelled so soon and fondly remembers it as the best acting job he ever had.
- Star-Making Role: Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly in sci-fi circles, but Richard Castle of Castle made him known to the mainstream audience.