"I was a real ham as a child. I'd insist on dressing up as a cowboy whenever the family went out for dinner. In high school, I was a menace. I'd fake nose bleeds and fainting spells to panic my teachers."Alan Wray Tudyk (born March 16, 1971) is an American actor and voice actor known for his roles as Hoban "Wash" Washburne in the space western television series Firefly and movie Serenity and Wat in A Knight's Tale. He co-stared on the ABC sitcom Suburgatory also had a starring role in the film 42 as Ben Chapman and voiced significant roles in the Disney animated films Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, and Big Hero 6. He's appeared in every Disney film since Wreck-It Ralph, in fact, and commonly voices characters who play the role of the Red Herring.Primarily known for his comedic roles, he's made more of a mark with villainous roles in recent years. A good example would be the psychotic serial killer Carl "Alpha" Craft from Dollhouse, where Tudyk subverted the Wash persona that most Whedon fans best knew him for.
- Patch Adams as Everton (1998)
- 28 Days as Gerhardt (2000)
- Frasier as Todd Peterson (2000)
- A Knight's Tale as Wat (2001)
- Ice Age as Lenny (2002)
- Firefly as Hoban "Wash" Washburne (2002–2003)
- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story as Steve the Pirate (2004)
- I, Robot as Sonny (2004)
- Serenity as Hoban "Wash" Washburne (2005)
- Arrested Development as Pastor Veal (2005; 2013)
- 3:10 to Yuma as Doc Potter (2007)
- Knocked Up as Jack (2007)
- Death at a Funeral as Simon, very convincingly playing an Englishman (2007)
- Dollhouse as Alpha (2009–2010)
- Halo 3: ODST as Michael "Mickey" Crespo (2009)
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold as Barry Allen (The Flash) (2010–2011)
- Young Justice as Green Arrow (2010–2013)
- Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil as Tucker (2010)
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon as Dutch (2011)
- Suburgatory as Dr. Noah Werner (2011–2014)
- Wreck-It Ralph as King Candy/Turbo (2012)
- 42 as Ben Chapman (2013)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us as Green Arrow (2013)
- Justified as Elias Marcos (2014)
- Frozen as the Duke of Weselton (2013)
- Big Hero 6 as Alistair Krei (2014)
- Justice League: War as Superman (2014)
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil as King River Butterfly and Ludo (2015–present)
- Zootopia as Duke Weaselton (2016)
- Moana as Heihei the chicken (2016)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story as the droid K-2SO (2016)
- Powerless as Van Wayne (2017)
Tropes associated with him:
- Man of a Thousand Voices: His Disney roles alone show he has an impressive vocal range, from King Candy, who sounds like Ed Wynn's Mad Hatter, to the Duke of Weselton, who sounds like Dick Dastardly. He's even voiced a chicken.
- He wasn't always thus: as Wat in A Knight's Tale (admittedly one of his earliest roles) his English accent was serviceable but wobbled a lot from scene to scene. Since then he's got a lot better.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: At least in terms of his Disney roles, where he tends to play older, slimy, petty villains. This trend continues with his casting in Zootopia as Duke Weaselton. Averted in Moana, where he voices the animal sidekick.
- Also, being put in Disney stuff in general — after five consecutive roles, he's effectively become the John Ratzenberger of the Disney Animated Canon.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."