Death at a Funeral
is a 2007 British Black Comedy
film directed by Frank Oz
A family tries to give an appropriate funeral for its late patriarch. Cue epic sibling rivalry, accidental acid tripping, dwarf secret gay lovers, nudity, blackmail and caskets being knocked over.
In what must be something of a record for an English language movie, an American remake
starring Chris Rock
, Tracy Morgan
, Zoe Saldana
, James Marsden
and Danny Glover
was released just three years later in 2010, which kept the overall tone of a black comedy... but not in that way!
The original film contains examples of:
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Birth-Death Juxtaposition: It's no coincidence that Martha ends up announcing her pregnancy during the funeral.
- Bound and Gagged: Daniel and Robert tie Peter up when he threatens to tell everyone about his affair with their father.
- Bury Your Gays: Played with, then averted.
- Butt Monkey: Daniel, especially when compared to his brother Robert.
- Cramming The Coffin: the deceased's diminutive gay lover gets knocked out after his attempts to blackmail the two sons goes wrong, and the sons, thinking that they'd accidentally killed him, hide him in their father's coffin. Naturally, he wakes up at the worst possible time.
- Cringe Comedy
- Dead Man's Chest
- Family Disunion
- Fawlty Towers Plot
- The Fun in Funeral
- Mushroom Samba: Leads to naked roof climbing. Twice.
- Naked People Are Funny: Simon climbing the roof naked. Uncle Alfie sitting naked on the roof at the end of the film. Even the poster is an example of this trope!
- Never Trust a Title: No one actually dies at the funeral.
- Nobody over 50 Is Gay: Averted.
- Not Quite Dead: Peter
- Queer People Are Funny
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: Uncle Alfie curses, hits family members with his cane, orders people around, and bluntly says what's on his mind simply because he's old.
- Sibling Rivalry: Between Daniel, The Unfavorite of nearly everyone in the family, and Robert, whom everyone loves because of his successful writing career.
- Stalker with a Crush: Justin is this towards Martha, so much so he's a borderline male Abhorrent Admirer. Justin constantly follows Martha around and hits on her no matter how many times she tells him she's in love with Simon. Justin immediately loses interest after finding out Martha is pregnant.
- Straight Man: Daniel, very much so.
The American remake contains examples of: