(born June 11, 1969) is an American actor with dwarfism. His breakout role was Finbar McBride in The Station Agent
, and he has also appeared in such films as Elf
and Death at a Funeral
(both versions). Since 2011, he has played Tyrion Lannister in the HBO
series Game of Thrones
. He won the 2011 Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of the character. He dedicated this award to Martin Henderson, a fellow dwarf who was injured when a drunken man decided to engage in a spot of dwarf-tossing. In 2014, he will appear as the villain Bolivar Trask in the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past
This actor provides examples of the following tropes:
- Ability over Appearance: Dinklage looks nothing like the comic version of Bolivar Trask (the character he portrays in Days of Future Past), but was cast on the strength of his performance.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: As a result of his being cast for the role of Tyrion, he caused this. In the books, Tyrion is described as being facially deformed in addition to being a dwarf. Tyrion in Game of Thrones as played by Peter Dinklage is still short, but he's called attractive by some characters.
- Deadpan Snarker: He tends to have a dry wit both in and out of character. An example as given by Rooster Teeth's Burnie Burns would be when a fan says "I thought you were great in (insert film here)", to which he will reply "but you thought I was shit before?"
- Dyeing for Your Art: As you can see from the photo, he's got naturally dark hair, but to play Tyrion Lannister he dyed his hair blond in order to fit in with the other Lannisters, who are almost all blond(e).
- Fake Brit: Puts on an English accent as Tyrion in Game of Thrones. The results are... mixed, though overall the accent isn't actually too bad on its own merits; the main problem is that he's surrounded by real Brits.
- He Also Did: Prior to Game of Thrones, he was in an episode of 30 Rock as one of Liz Lemon's (many) boyfriends.
- Irony as She Is Cast: He plays Captain Gutt in Ice Age. A Gigantopithecus.
- Memetic Mutation: Effectively coined the term "nerd glaze" during an interview on The Daily Show.
- Sesame Street Cred: Appeared on the show in 2013 to do a song about the popular playground game Simon says. He played Simon himself.
- Star-Making Role: Anybody who didn't know him by Game of Thrones probably knows him best as Tyrion Lannister.