Creator: Peter Dinklage
Peter Dinklage (born June 11, 1969) is an American actor with dwarfism. His breakout role was Finbar McBride in The Station Agent, and he has also appeared in such films as Elf and Death at a Funeral (both versions). Since 2011, he has played Tyrion Lannister in the HBO series Game of Thrones. He won the 2011 Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of the character. In 2014, he appeared as the villain Bolivar Trask in the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past, and as your companion AI in the video game Destiny. It is confirmed that he will have a role in 2016's Angry Birds as the Mighty Eagle, a grumpy old Tragic Hero who lives in seclusion from the rest of the flock.In addition to supporting causes related to dwarfism, Dinklage is a well known vegetarian and campaigner for animal rights, narrating PETA videos such as this one.
- The Station Agent (2003) — Finbar McBride
- Elf (2003) — Miles Finch
- Threshold (2005) — Arthur Ramsey
- Find Me Guilty (2006) — Ben Klandis
- Penelope (2006) — Lemon
- Nip/Tuck (2006) — Marlowe Sawyer
- Death at a Funeral (2007) — Frank
- Prince Caspian (2008) — Trumpkin
- Death at a Funeral (2010) — Frank, again
- Game of Thrones (2011+) — Tyrion Lannister
- Knights of Badassdom (2013) — Hung
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — Bolivar Trask
- Pixels (2015) — Eddie Plant
This actor provides examples of the following tropes:
- Ability Over Appearance: Dinklage looks nothing like the comic version of Bolivar Trask (the character he portrays in Days of Future Past, who was in fact previously played by Bill Duke), but was cast on the strength of his performance.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: As a result of his being cast for the role of Tyrion, he caused this. In the books, Tyrion is described as being facially deformed in addition to being a dwarf. Tyrion in Game of Thrones as played by Peter Dinklage is still short, but he's called attractive by some characters. This still applies even after Tyrion is nearly assassinated, as his injuries from this are less serious compared to the books, presumably since book-accurate prosthetics would be extremely expensive and time consuming to maintain. Though it's mitigated a bit by Dinklage being in his 40s while supposedly being the youngest Lannister sibling.
- Badass Baritone: There is no denying that Dinklage has an amazingly deep voice.
- Deadpan Snarker: He tends to have a dry wit both in and out of character. An example as given by Rooster Teeth's Burnie Burns would be when a fan says "I thought you were great in (insert film here)", to which he will reply "but you thought I was shit before?"
- Dyeing for Your Art: As you can see from the photo, he's got naturally dark hair, but to play Tyrion Lannister he dyed his hair blond in order to fit in with the other Lannisters, who are almost all blond(e).
- Fake Brit: Puts on an English accent as Tyrion in Game of Thrones. The results are... mixed, though overall the accent isn't actually too bad on its own merits; the main problem is that he's surrounded by real Brits.
- He Also Did: Prior to Game of Thrones, he was in an episode of 30 Rock as one of Liz Lemon's (many) boyfriends, and played Simon Bar Sinister in the live-action reboot of Underdog.
- Irony as She Is Cast:
- Sesame Street Cred: Appeared on the show in 2013 to do a song about the popular playground game Simon says. He played Simon himself.
- Star-Making Role: Anybody who didn't know him by Game of Thrones probably knows him best as Tyrion Lannister.
- Trope Namer: For a term, not a trope. He effectively coined the term "nerd glaze" during an interview on The Daily Show.