Peter Hayden Dinklage (born June 11, 1969 in Morristown, New Jersey) is an American actor with achondroplasia, the most common form of dwarfism. His breakout role was Finbar McBride in The Station Agent, and he has also appeared in such films as Elf and Death at a Funeral (both versions). Since 2011, he has played Tyrion Lannister in the HBO series Game of Thrones, winning near-universal acclaim for his performance. He won the 2011 Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of the character. In 2014, he appeared as the villain Bolivar Trask in the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past, and as your companion AI "Ghost" in the video game Destiny. It is confirmed that he will have a role in 2016's Angry Birds as the Mighty Eagle, a grumpy old Tragic Hero who lives in seclusion from the rest of the flock.In addition to supporting causes related to dwarfism, Dinklage is a well known vegetarian and campaigner for animal rights, narrating PETA videos such as this one.
- The Station Agent (2003) — Finbar McBride
- Elf (2003) — Miles Finch
- Threshold (2005) — Arthur Ramsey
- Find Me Guilty (2006) — Ben Klandis
- Penelope (2006) — Lemon
- Nip/Tuck (2006) — Marlowe Sawyer
- Death at a Funeral (2007) — Frank
- Prince Caspian (2008) — Trumpkin
- Death at a Funeral (2010) — Frank, again
- Game of Thrones (2011+) — Tyrion Lannister
- Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (2012) — Captain Gutt (voice)
- Knights of Badassdom (2013) — Hung
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — Bolivar Trask
- Pixels (2015) — Eddie Plant
This actor provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: As a result of his being cast for the role of Tyrion, he caused this. In the books, Tyrion has a number of other deformities in addition to his dwarfism. Tyrion in Game of Thrones, as played by Peter Dinklage, is still short, but he's called attractive by some characters (though it's mitigated a bit by Dinklage being in his forties despite Tyrion being the youngest Lannister sibling). This still applies even after Tyrion is nearly assassinated, as his injuries from this are less serious compared to the books, presumably since book-accurate prosthetics would be extremely expensive and time-consuming to maintain.
- Badass Baritone: There is no denying that Dinklage has an amazingly deep voice.
- Deadpan Snarker: He tends towards snarky roles. Especially since his role as Tyrion Lannister, a deadpan snarker extraordinaire rocketed him to new popularity.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: Appeared on the show in 2013 to do a song about the popular playground game Simon says. He played Simon himself.
- Typecasting: Averted. Dinklage turns down any roles that pigeon-hole his dwarfism, and has admitted that this decision left him extremely poor at times earlier in his career.