"I feel really lucky, although I hate that word — lucky. It cheapens a lot of hard work. Living in Brooklyn in an apartment without any heat and paying for dinner at the bodega with dimes — I don’t think I felt myself lucky back then, doing plays for fifty bucks and trying to be true to myself as an artist and turning down commercials where they wanted a leprechaun. Saying I was lucky negates the hard work I put in and spits on that guy who’s freezing his ass off back in Brooklyn. So I won’t say I’m lucky. I’m fortunate enough to find or attract very talented people. For some reason I found them, and they found me."Peter Hayden Dinklage (born June 11, 1969 in Morristown, New Jersey) is an American actor with achondroplasia, the most common form of dwarfism ("regular" sized head and torso, shortened arms and legs). His breakout role was Finbar McBride in The Station Agent, and he has also appeared in such films as Elf and Death at a Funeral (both versions). Since 2011, he has played Tyrion Lannister in the HBO series Game of Thrones, winning near-universal acclaim for his performance. He won the 2011 and 2015 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of the character, along with numerous other awards and nominations. In 2014, he appeared as the villain Bolivar Trask in the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past, and as your companion AI "Ghost" in the video game Destiny.In addition to supporting causes related to dwarfism, Dinklage is a well known vegetarian and campaigner for animal rights, narrating PETA videos such as this one.
- The Station Agent (2003) — Finbar McBride
- Elf (2003) — Miles Finch
- Tiny Tiptoes (2003) — Maurice
- Threshold (2005) — Arthur Ramsey
- Find Me Guilty (2006) — Ben Klandis
- Penelope (2006) — Lemon
- Nip/Tuck (2006) — Marlowe Sawyer
- Death at a Funeral (2007) — Frank
- Underdog (2007) — Simon bar Sinister
- Prince Caspian (2008) — Trumpkin
- Death at a Funeral (2010) — Frank, again
- Game of Thrones (2011-present) — Tyrion Lannister
- Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (2012) — Captain Gutt (voice)
- Knights of Badassdom (2013) — Hung
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — Bolivar Trask
- Pixels (2015) — Eddie Plant
- Angry Birds (2016) — Mighty Eagle
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) — James
This actor provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: As a result of his being cast for the role of Tyrion, he caused this. In the books, Tyrion has a number of other deformities in addition to his dwarfism. Tyrion in Game of Thrones, as played by Peter Dinklage, is still short, but he's called attractive by some characters (though it's mitigated a bit by Dinklage being in his forties despite Tyrion being the youngest Lannister sibling). This still applies even after Tyrion is nearly assassinated, as his injuries from this are less serious compared to the books, presumably since book-accurate prosthetics would be extremely expensive and time-consuming to maintain.
- Badass Baritone: There is no denying that Dinklage has an amazingly deep voice.
- Deadpan Snarker/Disabled Snarker: He tends towards snarky roles. Especially since his role as Tyrion Lannister, a deadpan snarker extraordinaire rocketed him to new popularity.
- Disabled Love Interest: Appears in an episode of 30 Rock where he goes on a date with Liz. Despite her sincerely finding him attractive and charming, his character ditches her when she makes one too many insensitive slights related to his height.
- Little People Are Surreal/Typecasting: Averted like whoa. Dinklage turns down any roles that pigeon-hole his dwarfism, and has admitted that this decision left him extremely poor at times earlier in his career. His first film character, Tito from Living in Oblivion, even went on an angry rant about the Little People Are Surreal trope. Later, his role in Elf inverted that trope by establishing Will Ferrell's character as the odd one out for assuming that Dinklage's character was a Christmas elf.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: Appeared on Sesame Street in 2013 to do a song about the popular playground game Simon says. He played Simon himself.
- Vocal Dissonance: He has a very deep voice compared to other actors with dwarfism.