We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Nolan North is an actor and voice actor from Connecticut. Although he's been in the business for a while, it wasn't until his post-Uncharted
roles that he started to gain prominence due to his rather distinctive voice. Most of the characters he voices are average people who find themselves in really bad situations, and cope with them using a good heaping of sarcasm, but he's also racked up quite a few Crazy Awesome
flamboyant villains as well.
He does have range, but he's still usually asked to do the "Drake
" voice. In Singularity
, this is actually used to throw the player off
, while his role in Spec Ops: The Line deconstructs
From the inception of the award, to its resigning
North swept Giantbomb's
He seems to be Marvel's go-to guy for voicing Deadpool
. He's one of two alliteration-named actors to play both Green Lantern
and Deadpool, the other being Ryan Reynolds
Nolan North's roles in alphabetical order:
- Alpha Protocol: Steven Heck
- The Amazing Spider-Man: Alistair Smythe
- Ape Escape 3: Dr. Tomoki
- Area 51: McCan
- Armored Core 4: Sherring
- Armored Core 5: Father, Zodiac #7
- Ar Tonelico 2: Shun, the Noble Wolf that serves the goddess.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Balloon Adolf Hitler
- Army of Two: The 40th Day: Elliot Salem
- The Assassin's Creed series: Desmond Miles and Abbas Sofian.
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: Balder, Jimmy Woo, Pile-Driver and Living Laser.
- Batman: Arkham City: The Penguin, as well as Black Mask.
- Breadwinners: Oonski the Great
- Call of Duty: World At War and Call of Duty: Black Ops: Doctor Edward Richtofen
- Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion: Captain K'nuckles, Father
- Crash Bandicoot: Doctor N. Gin in the Radical Entertainment games (also voiced Tiny Tiger and Dingodile in the Nintendo DS version of Crash of the Titans)
- Dark Void: Will Grey
- Deadpool: The Game: Deadpool, Himself
- Dota 2: Brewmaster, Earth Spirit, Gyrocopter, Keeper of the Light, Lone Druid, Lycanthrope, Meepo, Ogre Magi, Shadow Demon and Troll Warlord
- Dragons: Riders of Berk: Stoick the Vast
- Fanboy and Chum Chum: Thorvald the Red
- Final Fantasy XII: Vossler
- G.I. Joe: Renegades: Snow Job
- Guild Wars 2: Male Human PC.
- God of War: Hades (first game only)
- Halo 3: ODST: Romeo
- Haven: Will Brady
- Hulk vs. Wolverine: Deadpool
- I Know That Voice: Himself
- Infinite Crisis: Atomic Green Lantern, Atomic Joker
- Injustice: Gods Among Us: General Zod
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths: Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, and Power Ring
- The Last of Us: David. REALLY Playing Against Type
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Deadpool again.
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2: Tobi. Severely Playing Against Type.
- Playstation All Stars Battle Royale: Nathan Drake
- Portal 2: The defective turrets and cores.
- Pretty Little Liars: Peter Hastings
- Prince of Persia (2008): The Prince
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time: Sigmund
- Resonance of Fate: Vashyron
- Saints Row IV: Boss voice 7: Nolan North
- Shadow Complex: Jason Fleming
- Singularity: Devlin, Nate Renko
- Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time: El Jefe and Cyrille Le Paradox
- Spec Ops: The Line: Captain Martin Walker, deconstructing the type so thoroughly that it can actually be a little weird playing other games that feature him.
- Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions: Deadpool yet again.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: The male Jedi Consular.
- Star Trek Into Darkness: One of Admiral Marcus' subordinates.
- Supreme Commander 2
- SWAT 4: Officer Anthony "Subway" Girard.
- Team Fortress 2: Merasmus, The Bombinomicon, Redmond and Blutarch Mann, as well as their father, Zepheniah
- Played The Other Darrin in the short Expiration Date for all of Engineer's lines.
- TMNT: Raphael
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon - The Game: Major Reynolds
- Transformers Prime: Smokescreen and Skylynx
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Game: Omnibot Scout 2, Sideswipe
- Transformers: War for Cybertron: Brawl
- Trauma Team: CR-S01
- Uncharted series: Nathan Drake
- Unreal Tournament III: Bishop
- Wolverine and the X-Men: Cyclops. Would've reprised Deadpool in the un-produced second season.
- Young Justice: Superboy, Superman, and Zatara.
Tropes and trivia related to Nolan North:
- As Himself / Adam Westing: In Saints Row IV.
- Hey, It's That Guy!/Hey, It's That Voice!: Everything you watch or play has Nolan North in it. And we mean everything. Lampshaded in the description for the Bethesda-Valve co-produced Skyrim mod Fall of the Space Core, Vol. 1:
- I Am Not Spock: Many of North's roles following Uncharted had him playing some sort of everyman. Unlike most instances of this trope, though, he doesn't hate or try to distance himself from those roles.
- Large Ham: As Dr. Edward Richtofen, Deadpool and Merasmus.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Mentioned numerous times.
- Playing Against Type:
- Tobi, in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, both because he gets to bust out his deep bass bad guy voice and because it was the first (and to date, only) time he voiced an anime character.
- He's damn near unrecognizable in Portal 2 due in part to his voice being digitally processed. Though Rick the Adventure Sphere sounds a lot like a caricature of Nathan Drake. And his role as Steven Heck and Deadpool are a far cry from his regular characters.
- Edward Richtofen.
- The Penguin.
- Black Mask, in the same vein. Both characters have distinctive but realistic accents (Cockney and slightly Italian-American), which must have been hell to get right individually, let alone both.
- David definitely counts.
- His roles as Brawl and Bruticus, since he doesn't usually play The Brute.
- Cyclops on Wolverine and the X-Men (and a few video games) and Superman on Young Justice may also count, since neither of them are what you would call "average guys". They weren't exactly at their best on those shows but that's not the point.
- Balder the Brave on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes for another more straight laced traditional hero type role rather than stressed out average men. Balder didn't show up often but when he did you'd be hard pressed to guess that was North doing the deep, old school accented hero voice.
- Merasmus. He can do a damn good Vincent Price impersonation.
- Playing with Character Type: His typical role is Deconstructed, like every other Action Game trope, in Spec Ops: The Line with his role as Captain Martin Walker. Word of God says that Nolan was hired as Captain Walker for his versatility because he gave the best audition, and it wasn't until after they started recording that North Fever really started and they realized all the player-ribbing they could do with one of the most recognizable Action Genre Hero Guy voices in the industry.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Considered this in that his most well-known roles tend to be The Everyman in some way. However, he also plays a lot of dead pan snarkers, with some crazy villains here and there for good measure.
- The Real Heroes: He did a book on the creation of Uncharted: Drake's Deception because he felt that the developers themselves deserved more recognition than him and he felt somewhat guilty about how little he knew of actual game development.
- Serkis Folk: Not only does he voice Drake, but he also supplies Mocap for him. He even cites Andy Serkis as something of a personal hero.
- Talking to Himself: He is often used for additional less significant voices in other projects not listed on this page so stuff like this sometimes tend to happen. Also in Young Justice he plays Superman and Superboy who occasionally interact.
- Throw It In:
- The "Aw, kitty got wet" taunt from Uncharted came from his son while the two were playing Wii Tennis.note
- Around 90% of Deadpool's dialogue in Hulk Vs. was improvised by Nolan.
- What Could Have Been: Was very close to becoming Wayne Allwine's successor as the voice of Mickey Mouse until Disney decided to choose someone that could keep up with the demanding schedule and settled on Bret Iwan.
- Was actually a replacement for a different actor as Deadpool for Hulk Vs.
Unrelated to all the above