Western Animation: Breadwinners
Breadwinners is an animated series on Nickelodeon that stars two ducks named SwaySway and Buhdeuce as they deliver bread in their jet-powered Rocket Van on their home planet of Pondgea, created by former MAD writers Gary "Doodles" DiRaffale and Steve Borst and animated by Titmouse.Yeah, it's that kind of show.It was originally shown as a YouTube short before Nickelodeon picked it up for a 20-episode first season premiering on February 22nd, 2014. It is now the 34th series in the Nicktoons brand. On May 8th, 2014, the show was renewed for a second season.
Get some Tropes up IN YO BEAK!:
- Abnormal Ammo: In "Rocket Trouble" and "From Bad to Nurse" the Breadwinners get a bread cannon. Later in "Food Fight Club", Buhdeuce uses a bread-firing crossbow.
- Agony of the Feet: In "Quazy for Vanessa" the duo accidentally drive over Oonski's foot, then we get a shot of his boot ripped open and his foot turned purple.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot:
- In "Rocket Trouble" Ketta builds SwaySway and Buhdeuce two robot doubles that eventually declare them unnnecessary.
- In "Kettastrophe" Ketta upgrades the duo's toilet and it somehow turns into a robot that tries to kill them.
- All Animals Are Dogs: Jelly, the Breadwinners' pet frog, acts just like a dog.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In "Birds of a Feather" Rambamboo charges Buhdeuce with speeding, not signaling, and because Jelly was slobbering in a no-slobbering zone.
- Art Evolution: A remake of the original YouTube short was shown on Nick.com, which features an 8-bit effect, more detail to the backgrounds, and improved voice acting.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: After the boys receive the golden toaster from The Breadmaker, they continue to assault him with dumb questions.Buhdeuce: Uh, do you poop?The Breadmaker: YES! Everybody poops!
- Ass Kicks You: "Buh-buh-buh Booty kick!"
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Buhdeuce becomes leader of the biker duck gang by defeating their previous leader.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Giant monsters seem to be a common species on Pondgea, which cause all sorts of problems to our heroes and the rest of the population, even Oonski.
- In the episode "Buhdeuce Goes Berserks", Buhdeuce goes berserk after getting one too many terrible haircuts and grows bigger and meaner every time he sees his horrible hair. He eventually grows so big that he stands slightly taller than the average building.
- Ate the Spoon: In "Brocrastination" when SwaySway is trying to clean the duo's toxic pile of dirty dishes he scrubs it with a loofah, which the mass of bacteria around the dishes eats.
- Ax-Crazy: Oonski the Great.
- Beach Episode: "Beach Day of Horror".
- Bee Afraid: The reason T-Midi refuses to let the Breadwinners into his party in "TNT-Midi" is because the last time they came, they brought honey bread that contained beehives full of live bees.
- Berserk Button:
Buhdeuce: How do I get mad at a guy who hasn't done anything wrong?
- Don't mess with SwaySway's hat, or erase his high score on his Ducky Kong machine.
- Don't give Buhdeuce a bad hair cut.
- Invoked in the episode "Viking Ducks" where SwaySway and Buhdeuce had to prove to Oonski that they could get really angry on a whim for their "Anger Management Training".
SwaySway: Just... pretend he ate your last loaf of jelly-filled alfalfa bread.
Buhdeuce: MY. LAST. LOAF?! (to Viking duck) YOU CROSSED THE LINE, BUDDY!...
SwaySway: Oh man. I hate being not nice.
Buhdeuce: C'mon Sway, just pretend he smooched up Jenny Quackles.
SwaySway: (to Viking duck) YOU. CROSSED. THE LINE, BUDDY!
- Big Eater: Buhdeuce.
- Big "NO!": SwaySway in "Brocrastination" when he loses to Buhdeuce at an arcade game for dish-cleaning duty.
- "Nooooooooooo! Anything but that!"
- Catch Phrase:Buhdeuce: Oh, bubblenuggets!
Both: "Nooooooooooo! Anything but that!"
- The Chew Toy: T-Midi. Poor, poor T-Midi.
- Cool Car: The Rocket Van.
- Continuity Nod: In "Poltergoose", the ghost of the Breadwinners' dishwasher that ran off and fell from the Swamp Pad in "Brocrastination" appears in the Pondgea Triangle telling them "Still not doing the dishes, bros!"
- Dance Sensation: When Buhdeuce goes Wild Child inside a cruise ship and starts thrashing a buffet, SwaySway covers for him by claiming that he's performing the latest dance craze. Soon, everyone in the ship starts doing it, much to the captain's consternation.
- Distaff Counterpart: The Pizzawinners, Zoona and Roni, are this to the Breadwinners.
- Do a Barrel Roll: SwaySway and Behduce do this too much, to the point that is explicitly stated in the theme's lyrics.Buhdeuce: SwaySway!SwaySway: Buhdeuce!Buhdeuce: Do a barrel roll, man!
- Dubstep: Features a lot of this.
- Expy: Ketta is very similar to Gadget Hackwrench from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.
- Eye Scream:
- In "Thug Loaf" when SwaySway is fighting the leader of the biker ducks he kicks himself in the eye.
- In "Rocket Trouble" when SwaySway asks Buhdeuce what the #1 rule of being a Breadwinner is the latter responds "Never eat your eyeballs?" as he's inexplicably eating his left eye, complete with a visible brain through the socket.
- In "Oonski the Grateful" the two and Oonski manage to knock out two of the monster's eyes.
- In "Night of the Living Bread" when SwaySway is fighting to stop Buhdeuce from eating a loaf of Irresistably Craveable Bread, he tells Buhdeuce that they can't be friends if the latter is a zombie. Buhdeuce lets go of the bread and it gets lodged in SwaySway's left eye.
- Facial Horror: In "Quazy for Vanessa" when SwaySway and Buhdeuce are flying away from Oonski, Buhdeuce's face gets grinded against several buildings, leaving the left side of his skull exposed.
- Fan Disservice: In "Shrunken Ducks" there's a lot of focus on Rambamboo's big butt, but she also has hairy legs and there's some close-ups on her scaly skin.
- Five-Man Band
- Food Eats You: The Emerald Loaf in "The Brave and the Mold", which SwaySway and Buhdeuce free to eat all the mold on the mine, turns on them and tries to eat them because they're green like mold.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: "Switcheroo" has an odd variant, in that SwaySway and Buhdeuce actually switch physical builds and the powers they grant, so SwaySway becomes short and Buhdeuce becomes tall, with a transformation sequence of their body parts changing length. SwaySway also becomes a Big Eater in this form.
- Funny Animal: The two main characters are ducks.
- Which is strange considering that the other ducks in Pondgea are photorealistic ducks.
- G-Rated Drug: The Love Loaf.
- Gasshole: Buhdeuce."Once the seal is broken, the fart gates cannot be closed."
- Genre Throwback: Stated to be a return to 90's Nicktoons like The Ren & Stimpy Show and Rocko's Modern Life.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When The Breadmaker expands his chest to prove that "They are bigger or shorter than coconuts", they expand into a size and shape that looks suspiciously like a pair of boobs. It doesn't help that his nipples are showing, too.
- In "From Bad to Nurse" Buhdeuce says that he's gonna pick on his tailfeathers, then he accidentally gropes SwaySway's ass. Cue Buhdeuce's relaxed expression.
- SwaySway's girl disguise in "Love Loaf" features two tennis balls as a bra stuffer. One pops out.
- In "From Bad to Nurse", Buhdeuce and SwaySway take care of T-Midi while he's hurt. As they put him in a bathtub (with the two of them in it), SwaySway says "We're just doing our duty." Then Buhdeuce says "Yeah, doing our doody in the bathtub!" and farts, causing a fat bread loaf to come out of the tub, resembling a turd.
- At the end of "Love Loaf", when SwaySway tries to feed Jenny the titular loaf in her sleep at summer camp, it turns out to be three camp counselors who eat the bread, attack the Breadwinners, and start licking them. They escape in their underwear.
- The entire episode itself which is about SwaySway trying to get Jenny to feed Love Loaf by stalking her at camp. It's even worse once you realize that he is older than Jenny since he has a job.
- In "Birthday Bread", when SwaySway is offering Old!Buhdeuce different types of bread to see which will he eat, he offers him Rainbow Bread, which Old!Buhdeuce claims is "too controversial."
- Go Mad from the Isolation: In "Lost at Pond", the stranded Breadwinners go into "survival mode", acting like cavemen while they forage for food. As soon as a cruise ship arrives, SwaySway snaps out of it, but Buhdeuce doesn't and wreaks havoc inside the ship.
- Gone Horribly Right: Ketta's robot doubles of SwaySway and Buhdeuce eventually try to replace them.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: The plot of "Yeasterday" is about Buhdeuce using loaves of Yeasterday Bread to get do-overs on an otherwise terrible day to cheer up SwaySway. Unfortunately, Failure Is the Only Option because every time he tries to do everything right SwaySway gets maimed as opposed to just being sad, including getting crushed by a satellite shortly after waking up, so Buhdeuce tries to do everything how it goes in timeline A and inadvertently saves SwaySway from the pond monster that eats him in timeline B.
- Here We Go Again:
- At the end of "Stank Breath" the duo have cured Buhdeuce's breath only for him to eat another bread that gives him horrible gas, which proceeds to form into a fist and punch SwaySway.
- After learning their lesson about not putting off cleaning the dishes in "Brocrastination", Buhdeuce and SwaySway put off picking up the dishes after Jelly breaks them all.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: SwaySway and Buhdeuce.
- Idiot Heroes: Though Buhdeuce fits the trope better.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: The boys put off washing the dishes by playing a video game about cleaning dishes. Later, when they have to deal with the bacteria monster, they use the same skills they learned from the video game.
- Inexplicably Tailless: Inverted. Jelly has a small tail despite being a frog.
- I Taste Delicious: To get rid of the Emerald Loaf that tries to eat them in "The Brave and the Mold", SwaySway and Buhdeuce trick it into eating itself, as it seems to feed on anything green.
- It Came from the Fridge: In "Brocrastination" the guys haven't cleaned the dishes in one, two years tops, so long that the bacteria growing on them form a giant Blob Monster.
- It's All About Me: Played for Laughs when Buhdeuce eats part of the Love Loaf and falls in love with himself.
- Jerkass: T-Midi who acts like a royal upper class twit and more then willing act rude toward Sway-Sway and Buhduce.
- Just Whistle: The Breadmaker gives SwaySway and Buhdeuce a magic toaster that they can use to summon him in an emergency.
- Karma Houdini: T-Midi in "Food Fight Club".
- Keet: Buhdeuce.
- Last of Their Kind: It's stated that SwaySway and Buhdeuce are the last Breadwinners on Pondgea.
- Lazy Animator: The animation is full of Stock Footage, reused sounds, repetition and uses Adobe Flash to move around simple shapes.
- Level Ate: The entirety of Pondgea is made of bread. SwaySway and Buhdeuce mine it from inside the planet like mineral ore.
- Love Potion: The Love Loaf. Anyone who eats it falls in love with the first person they see.
- Lyrical Dissonance: In "Crumbskull" when SwaySway and Buhdeuce destroy the meteor headed toward Pondgea in the process destroying the weapon they were riding, they sing an upbeat yet despairful song about them falling to their deaths.Now we're falling to our doom,
To our doom, to our doom,
We're gonna be goners,
Gonna end up in a tomb!
- The Mentor: The Breadmaker serves this to the duo.
- Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Parody: One in "Night of the Living Bread", as you would expect from this show.
- Mickey Mousing: The action in many scenes are synchronized to the beat of the background score.
- Mirror-Cracking Ugly: In "Bad to the Duck Bone", when SwaySway first eats the Dark Rye, he looks at himself in a mirror and it cracks...then explodes.
- The Napoleon: Rambamboo.
- Never Say "Die": The most notable change between the original short and the Nick.com remake are some lines Buhdeuce says:(Original): Does this mean we're gonna crash and burn and die a fiery death?(Remake): Does this mean we're gonna crash and burn and end up roast meat?
(Original): Yeah! And we didn't even die once!(Remake): Yeah! And we're even still alive still!
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Buhdeuce and SwaySway both have the ability to "Level Up" which usually means they get new outfits/powers for whatever they need to do. Played with in that half the time the 'powers' either fail to solve their problem or only serve to make the situation worse.
- Nobody Poops: Averted, according to The Breadmaker after Buhdeuce asks him if he poops.
- No Indoor Voice: 75% of the character's dialogue is either screaming or yelling.
- Not Hyperbole: In "Buhdeuce Goes Berserks", Buhdeuce states that he's so angry he can take a bite out of a building, then rips a building out of the ground and eats the entire thing.
- Nurse with Good Intentions: SwaySway and Buhdeuce in "From Bad to Nurse".
- Ocular Gushers: SwaySway and Buhdeuce in "Adventures in Big Baby Bun Sitting" when Trippa-B gets arrested.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: In "Crumbskull" when the Rocket Van is falling out of the sky:Ketta: "Well, looks like the guys are plummeting to their doom...again."
- Phlebotinum-Induced Stupidity: In "Crumbskull" SwaySway and Buhdeuce accidentally give Ketta a type of bread that causes this.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up:
- In "Adventures in Big Baby Bun Sitting", Big Baby Buns ages into a teenager almost immediately after he's left in the Breadwinners' care and rechristens himself as Trippa-B. By the end of the episode, he's now a young adult.
- A more comedic example in "Birthday Bread" when Buhdeuce eats the entire loaf of the eponymous bread and becomes an old man. SwaySway takes him to the Fountain of Yeast to regain his youth, but he stays in too long and becomes a baby, meaning SwaySway now has to get him another loaf of Birthday Bread.
- Rabid Cop: Rambamboo.
- Rage Breaking Point: In "Kettastrophe" what finally causes SwaySway to get fed up with Ketta upgrading everything in the Swamp Pad is hearing that she deleted the high scores on his arcade game, which took ten years for him to build. He proceeds to hulk out and destroy the cabinet in a rage.
- Remembered I Could Fly: When the Rocket Van crashes in the ocean in "Lost at Pond", the boys think they're going to drown, but then remember that they're ducks and thus know how to swim.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Jelly.
- Robinsonade: "Lost at Pond", where the Rocket Van runs out of gas in the middle of the ocean-sized pond that covers much of Pondgea.
- Robot Me: In "Rocket Trouble" Ketta makes robots of SwaySway and Buhdeuce to help them.
- Rocket Punch: P-P-P-Party Punch!
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: In "Rocket Trouble", when SwaySway, Buhdeuce and their robot counterparts are falling from space back to Pondgea, the latter yell "Frightened scream!"
- Scaled Up: In "Back to the Duck Bone", when SwaySway is under the influence of Dark Rye, he dubs himself SnakeSnake. When he later eats nine loaves of Dark Rye at once, this trope ensues.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In "Brocrastination", SwaySway and Buhdeuce's pile of dirty dishes is so offensive that their dishwasher comes to life and runs away.
- SwaySway and Buhdeuce's "Level Up" transformations:
- At the beginning of "Stank Breath" you can see the skull of an Engineer with a Towering Pillar of Hats, a Mining Light, and a Texas Ten-Gallon and his goggles still on next to the Ark of the Covenant in the dirt above during the first few seconds ◊. Later on there's one to The Lazer Collection when Buhdeuce uses his breath as a weapon against the monsters in the cave.
- In "Rocket Trouble" Ketta names the duo's robot duplicates Sway-3PO and B2D2.
- "Rocket Trouble" also has Sway-3PO saying "Get over here!" while forcefully grabbing the real SwaySway.
- The title card of "Lost at Pond" blatantly alludes to Jaws.
- In "From Bad to Nurse", when Buhdeuce is firing the Breadzooka around T-Midi's house, he briefly becomes Rambo.
- In "Birds of a Feather", the last Breadwinner candidate is named Doug and even wears the trademark green sweater vest and brown slacks.
- Shown Their Work: It's minor, but the Barrel Roll they do in the opening actually looks like a Barrel Roll.
- Stealth Pun: SwaySway and Buhdeuce mine bread out of the planet's crust.
- Stylistic Suck: The animation is choppy, but that's because it's supposed to reflect the feel of old-school video games.
- Take a Third Option: In "Lil' Loafie", when the Breadwinners are fighting with T-Midi over custody of Lil' Loafie and SwaySway eats T-Midi's receipt, Rambamboo figures that the decision should be Lil' Loafie's. As an inanimate object, he falls over and "picks" her.
- Torso with a View: Happens to Buhdeuce in "Wolf Head Bread" when T-Midi's loaf of Laser Eye Rye shoots a laser through him.
- Totally Radical: As Rebel Taxi put it, it's like "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show", only not a joke.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Bread to the citizens of Pondgea, and the citizens for the three-eyed monsters.
- Verbal Tic: Yep! Yep!
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Buhdeuce and SwaySway "level up" into girl disguises in order to sneak into an all-girl's summer camp.
- World of Ham: With all that shouting, how can it not?
- Wrench Wench: Ketta, the Breadwinners' mechanic and Gadgeteer Genius.
- You Mean Xmas: Crustmas.
- Your Head Asplode: Happens to Buhdeuce after he attempts to comprehend SwaySway's instructions on how to drive the Rocket Van.
- Also happens when Buhdeuce hears about the Employee of the Month award. Several times, in fact.
- In general, it seems to be a Running Gag for the little guy.
- Zombie Apocalypse: "Night of the Living Bread"