These could well be fake.
Some women are concerned with their cup sizes, so they try to increase them with padding or surgery. Usually used as a way to demonstrate A-Cup Angst
, and as a method for Breast Expansion
. Very commonly Played for Laughs
For Cross Dressers
, simply using appropriately sized balls will suffice. note
Sometimes when two girls disguise themselves as a tall woman in a trench coat
, the folded-up legs of the top girl will be the bust.
See also Pillow Pregnancy
. Compare Fake Muscles
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Played with in Kuragehime: when Wholesome Crossdresser Kuranosuke passes out in the lobby of their apartment building, Mayaya attempts to help by applying Vicks Vapo-Rub to "her" chest, and in the process discovers that Kuranosuke's breasts are fake. Mayaya and the other members of the Sisterhood present completely miss the obvious and instead accuse Kuranosuke of padding "her" bra to hide her A-Cup Angst.
- Used in Toradora!; Taiga isn't just very short, but a severely late bloomer. Ryuji helps her out by creating padded inserts for her swimsuit, which would otherwise make her lack way too obvious.
- Great Teacher Onizuka: in the final chapter, the newest teacher is discovered (through actual groping by a female student) that she wears a padded bra.
- In Pokémon Special, Blue infamously once hid two Pokéballs in her dress. She then taunted Sabrina into ripping her top off which released the Pokémon inside.
- The Substitute Queen of Kamabakka Kingdom in the One Piece anime filler wear those under his dress.
- Yun-Yun from Canaan sometimes stuffs Dumplings in her shirt.
- Whilst she's not completely lacking, Karina Lyle of Tiger & Bunny wears a padded costume as the superheroine Blue Rose. Her sponsors are marketing her for her sex appeal (much to her annoyance), and are rather insistent on the importance of the Most Common Superpower.
- James/Kojirou of Team Rocket, in one of Pokémon's most infamous episodes ever, wore a pair of inflatable breasts (and, thank gods, a towel) to a beauty contest. The audience was very impressed.
- Kamome in Cyber Team in Akihabara wants to have bigger breasts for Gold Digger reasons and consequently stuffs her bra to appear bustier than she really is.
- During the Beach Episode of Bleach, Rangiku Matsumoto gets suspicious when Nanao Ise shows up in her swimsuit bustier than usual. She grabs Nanao and pulls out her padding.
- A comedic one-scene gag appears in HeartCatch Pretty Cure!, episode one, when the Fairy Mascots hide inside Tsubomi's shirt in order to hide from the Desertrian General Sasorina, who is not amused by how "busty" Tsubomi appears to be. Admittedly it does help them escape detection that one time.
- In Le Petit Spirou, little Suzette is once seen fitting tangerines in her tank top in a ladies' bathroom to see how she'll look when she's all grown up.
- Ninjette once used them to impersonate Empowered using kyonyujutsu (fake boobery magic).
- Emma Frost has admitted to having had extensive cosmetic surgery (describing it as "the best body money can buy"), including breast enhancement.
- There's a whole scene in Wild Wild West where Jim is telling Artie that his fake breasts don't feel right because they're too firm and don't have any give. He dumps out whatever Artie used for filling and uses warm water instead.
- In the movie Dead Presidents, the protagonist sleeps with his girlfriend the night before he goes to the Vietnam War. As he takes off her shirt, he notices that she has her bra stuffed with tissue but tells her he doesn't care.
- In Porkys II The Next Day, part of the plot to take down the corrupt government man involved fake boobs full of cream corn and vegetable soup that the girl opened up and emptied as fake vomit.
- In Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, when Bob becomes infatuated with Elvira, this infuriates Patty (his buxom love interest). When she gets into a fight with Elvira at a church picnic, Elvira holds onto her shirt and punches her. We quickly see her buxom figure was completely this trope, as a large set of Fake Boobs rips off. Since it was a public reveal, she stops wearing her "enhancements".
- In Animal House, Pinto hooks up with a girl he met in the supermarket. As he struggles to take off her bra, she unhooks it herself, then falls unconscious. Pinto finds himself with two handfuls of toilet paper.
- In the film version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch , during the final scenes we see that Hedwig's bodice is stuffed with tomatoes. The song "Angry Inch" refers to making "tits of clay."
- In Girl, Fifteen, Charming But Insane, Jess stuffs her bra with plastic bags filled with minestrone soup. Hilarity Ensues when they're popped.
- Lisbeth Salander, the famed girl with the dragon tattoo, uses these towards the end of that novel while pulling a heist. She keeps them afterwards.
- Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.: Cotton balls.
- Discussed in Aztec. Blood Glutton insists on buying slaves himself for the group's trade voyage, because some slave traders stuffed wax under the chest of male and female slaves (resulting in impressive pectorals or the appearance of breasts, although the latter melted and drooped on a hot day).
- In The Clique, Alicia Riviera's breasts are fake in a more literal sense, being implants. Much ado is made about how silly a prepubescent girl looks with Gag Boobs-sized implants.
- The Fairy Godmother: Delphinium stuffs balls of wool in the top of her corset.
Live Action TV
- In Just Shoot Me!, Nina is offered a free procedure from a plastic surgeon and is considering breast augmentation. So she goes around wearing D-cup inserts to get a feel of them.
- On one episode of Will and Grace, Grace is worried that a newspaper photo of her makes her look more endowed than she actually is, so she goes to a gallery show wearing a water-filled bra. Unfortunately, it springs a leak.
- In an episode of The Wonder Years, a legendarily endowed cheerleader is revealed to have stuffed her bra, leading to the characters being very disappointed.
- An episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air concerns Ashley stuffing her bra at school to get more attention.
- The Cosby Show: Vanessa wants to make a sing-and-dance video at the mall. Claire pulls the stuffing out of her bra.
- In one episode of Clarissa Explains It All, Ferguson reveals that Clarissa stuffs her bra.
- In one episode of Popular, a pneumatic enhancement bra winds up as (in the principal's words) "a Hindenburg-like lingerie disaster".
- In an episode of Little House on the Prairie, the adult Laura recounts an incident of trying to stuff three apples down the front of her dress, with predictable results.
- Part of Jan's character arc/breakdown on the US version of The Office. Several episodes after Michael describes her chest as "nothing to write home about" and "shrunken chesticles," Jan gets a breast augmentation. The actress doesn't—on the DVD commentary she complains (jokingly) about the push-up rig and days when she couldn't wait to get out of it.
- On Degrassi, Maya has A-Cup Angst and feels that she isn't attractive enough to get into the Garage Band she's auditioning for. On her friend's advice, she gets bra inserts, but uses them wrong and they end up falling out during the audition.
- In the Lords Of Acid song "I Must Increase My Bust", the singer briefly attempts to look larger by stuffing her bra with melons. However, she forgets that melons rot...
- Whipme Spearz, personal referee of Macaela Mercedes, wore fake breasts in his attempts to compete for the PGWA and Glory Championships, belts normally exclusive to women. Mercedes caught on pretty quickly but decided to get him a job as a referee in exchange for not outing him.
- In Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Shannon's breasts are confirmed to be these by Word of God. Considering how it's heavily implied that she and Kanon are the same person, this makes a good deal of sense.
- The Venture Bros.: Dean discovers this of his Distaff Counterpart, but it's unclear from his reaction whether or not said character is just padding, or is cross-dressing.
- South Park's Wendy, at the end of "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society." She's thoroughly mocked for it (she's a fourth grader!) and is back to normal by her next appearance.
- As Told by Ginger: Courtney stuffs her bikini top with bubble wrap so her breasts will appear larger and more like those on a high school girl. Two Alpha Bitches plan to remove Courtney's bikini top and expose her as a bra-stuffer. The plan succeeds, but Macie manages to hide Courtney's breasts with an inner tube.
- In an episode of Home Movies, when the kids are making a parody of Weird Science, Melissa wears a pair of balloons as fake boobs. Even though he knows they're just balloons, Jason still can't stop staring at them.
- Models, strippers, and porn stars often get breast implants as a way of boosting their careers.
- There was even a controversy about a stripper who tried to write off her breast augmentation as a business expense for a tax deduction. Note that this is entirely plausible under the Internal Revenue Code.
- Melanie Griffiths went for breast augmentation surgery in the middle of shooting The Bonfire of the Vanities , requiring a re-shoot.