"The doctors say it dates back to a film where I had these huge prosthetic breasts because my character was breast-feeding. The weight of them, and of the baby, did my back in."Some women are concerned with their cup sizes, so they try to increase them with padding or surgery. Usually used as a way to demonstrate A-Cup Angst, and as a method for Breast Expansion. Very commonly Played for Laughs. For Cross Dressers, simply using appropriately sized balls will suffice. note Sometimes when two girls disguise themselves as a tall woman in a trench coat, the folded-up legs of the top girl will be the bust. See also Pillow Pregnancy. Compare Fake Muscles.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Played with in Kuragehime: when Wholesome Crossdresser Kuranosuke passes out in the lobby of their apartment building, Mayaya attempts to help by applying Vicks Vapo-Rub to "her" chest, and in the process discovers that Kuranosuke's breasts are fake. Mayaya and the other members of the Sisterhood present completely miss the obvious and instead accuse Kuranosuke of padding "her" bra to hide her A-Cup Angst.
- Used in Toradora!; Taiga isn't just very short, but a severely late bloomer. Ryuji helps her out by creating padded inserts for her swimsuit, which would otherwise make her lack way too obvious.
- Great Teacher Onizuka: in the final chapter, the newest teacher is discovered (through actual groping by a female student) that she wears a padded bra.
- In Pokemon Special, Blue infamously once hid two Pokéballs in her dress. She then taunted Sabrina into ripping her top off which released the Pokémon inside.
- The Substitute Queen of Kamabakka Kingdom in the One Piece anime filler wear those under his dress.
- Yun-Yun from Canaan sometimes stuffs Dumplings in her shirt.
- Whilst she's not completely lacking, Karina Lyle of Tiger & Bunny wears a padded costume as the superheroine Blue Rose. Her sponsors are marketing her for her sex appeal (much to her annoyance), and are rather insistent on the importance of the Most Common Superpower.
- James/Kojirou of Team Rocket, in one of Pokémon's most infamous episodes ever, wore a pair of inflatable breasts (and, thank gods, a towel) to a beauty contest. The audience was very impressed.
- Kamome in Cyber Team in Akihabara wants to have bigger breasts for Gold Digger reasons and consequently stuffs her bra to appear bustier than she really is.
- During the Beach Episode of Bleach, Rangiku Matsumoto gets suspicious when Nanao Ise shows up in her swimsuit bustier than usual. She grabs Nanao and pulls out her padding.
- A comedic one-scene gag appears in HeartCatch Pretty Cure!, episode one, when the Fairy Mascots hide inside Tsubomi's shirt in order to hide from the Desertrian General Sasorina, who is not amused by how "busty" Tsubomi appears to be. Admittedly it does help them escape detection that one time.
- The title character of High School Ninja Girl, Otonashi-san is shown early on to use padding out of A-Cup Angst.
- In Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai., Ilia prides herself on her big boobs and makes fun of Lisara for being small. She is eventually humiliated when it is revealed she wears padding (along with a Glamour to make it look natural) and she is really smaller than Lisara.
- In the first episode of Samurai Champloo, Fuu runs with bombs under the chest area of her kimono, giving an appearance of gainaxing breasts.
- In Le Petit Spirou, little Suzette is once seen fitting tangerines in her tank top in a ladies' bathroom to see how she'll look when she's all grown up.
- Empowered: Ninjette once used them to impersonate Empowered using kyonyujutsu (fake boobery magic).
- X-Men: Emma Frost has admitted to having had extensive cosmetic surgery (describing it as "the best body money can buy"), including breast enhancement.
- Cat Grant from Superman, after having been gone from the comics for several years, came back from California having had quite a bit of work done with breast augmentation being one of the more noticeable differences. It created for a hilarious moment when she first interacted with Supergirl, who didn't know about cosmetic surgery and kept trying to tell her she should probably see a doctor about the "weird plastic" in her chest.
- In the original 1988 Hairspray, one of the girls augments her bustline with tissues in her bra. One of the assistant directors holds up a sign "NO FALSIES" - she denies having them, tho.
- There's a whole scene in Wild Wild West where Jim is telling Artie that his fake breasts don't feel right because they're too firm and don't have any give. He dumps out whatever Artie used for filling and uses warm water instead.
- In the movie Dead Presidents, the protagonist sleeps with his girlfriend the night before he goes to the Vietnam War. As he takes off her shirt, he notices that she has her bra stuffed with tissue but tells her he doesn't care.
- In Porkys II The Next Day, part of the plot to take down the corrupt government man involved fake boobs full of cream corn and vegetable soup that the girl opened up and emptied as fake vomit.
- In Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, when Bob becomes infatuated with Elvira, this infuriates Patty (his buxom love interest). When she gets into a fight with Elvira at a church picnic, Elvira holds onto her shirt and punches her. We quickly see her buxom figure was completely this trope, as a large set of Fake Boobs rips off. Since it was a public reveal, she stops wearing her "enhancements".
- In Animal House, Pinto hooks up with a girl he met in the supermarket. As he struggles to take off her bra, she unhooks it herself, then falls unconscious. Pinto finds himself with two handfuls of toilet paper.
- In the film version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, during the final scenes we see that Hedwig's bodice is stuffed with tomatoes. The song "Angry Inch" refers to making "tits of clay."
- The girls in Now And Then discuss various ways of stuffing their bras, including filling balloons with pudding instead of water or blowing them up.
- In Anything For Love (a.k.a. Just One of the Girls), Chris is posing as a girl and gets help from his sister. She stuffs a bra for him to create a believable bust line. Chris is unimpressed and says he likes breasts that sit high. His sister then tells him that means that he likes kleenex and real breasts don't sit that way.
- In Girl, Fifteen, Charming but Insane, Jess stuffs her bra with plastic bags filled with minestrone soup. Hilarity Ensues when they're popped.
- Lisbeth Salander, the famed girl with the dragon tattoo, uses these towards the end of that novel while pulling a heist. She keeps them afterwards.
- Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.: Cotton balls.
- Discussed in Aztec. Blood Glutton insists on buying slaves himself for the group's trade voyage, because some slave traders stuffed wax under the chest of male and female slaves (resulting in impressive pectorals or the appearance of breasts, although the latter melted and drooped on a hot day).
- In The Clique, Alicia Riviera's breasts are fake in a more literal sense, being implants. Much ado is made about how silly a prepubescent girl looks with Gag Boobs-sized implants.
- The Fairy Godmother: Delphinium stuffs balls of wool in the top of her corset.
Live Action TV
- In Just Shoot Me!, Nina is offered a free procedure from a plastic surgeon and is considering breast augmentation. So she goes around wearing D-cup inserts to get a feel of them.
- On one episode of Will and Grace, Grace is worried that a newspaper photo of her makes her look more endowed than she actually is, so she goes to a gallery show wearing a water-filled bra. Unfortunately, it springs a leak.
- In an episode of The Wonder Years, a legendarily endowed cheerleader is revealed to have stuffed her bra, leading to the characters being very disappointed.
- An episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air concerns Ashley stuffing her bra at school to get more attention.
- The Cosby Show: Vanessa wants to make a sing-and-dance video at the mall. Claire pulls the stuffing out of her bra.
- In one episode of Clarissa Explains It All, Ferguson reveals that Clarissa stuffs her bra.
- In one episode of Popular, a pneumatic enhancement bra winds up as (in the principal's words) "a Hindenburg-like lingerie disaster".
- In an episode of Little House on the Prairie, the adult Laura recounts an incident of trying to stuff three apples down the front of her dress, with predictable results.
- Part of Jan's character arc/breakdown on the US version of The Office. Several episodes after Michael describes her chest as "nothing to write home about" and "shrunken chesticles," Jan gets a breast augmentation. The actress doesn't—on the DVD commentary she complains (jokingly) about the push-up rig and days when she couldn't wait to get out of it.
- On Degrassi, Maya has A-Cup Angst and feels that she isn't attractive enough to get into the Garage Band she's auditioning for. On her friend's advice, she gets bra inserts, but uses them wrong and they end up falling out during the audition.
- Mythbusters once tested whether men or women were better at driving. To keep the tests fair, the driving instructors who were grading them couldn't know whether each driver was male or female, so they were dressed in concealing clothing and the men were given fake breasts.
- In the Lords Of Acid song "I Must Increase My Bust", the singer briefly attempts to look larger by stuffing her bra with melons. However, she forgets that melons rot...
- Nearly all female wrestlers who have an obvious access to or any pressure to get, particularly WWE Divas and TNA Knockouts, have had breast augmentation surgery. Those that can't afford it or for whatever reason refuse to be cut into sometimes opt to wear multiple bras(often "pushup" bras to boot) or put padding in their ring gear for a similar effect.
- WWE gave Mae Young fake boobs, but in this case it was not for fan service purposes. You see, Mae Young was elderly by the time she got a contract with the company, so obviously it would be a hilarious joke if she flashed the audience. So why the fake boobs? Her real breasts were deemed not disgusting enough!
- Whipme Spearz, personal referee of Macaela Mercedes, wore fake breasts in his attempts to compete in PGWA and GLORY Championship matches, which award titles(a belt and a trophy, respectively) normally exclusive to women. Mercedes caught on pretty quickly but decided to get him a job as a referee in exchange for not outing him.
- In Eternal Knights, Smiley steals Kathryn's breastplate and then wears it, stating that he has "gone up more cup sizes than a knocked-up Paltrow".
- DOUBLE K: Simon uses baseballs in his disguises.
- Webcomic.Megatokyo: Kimiko was seen using pads at Anna Miller's.
- Zoe of Venus Envy, being a teenage transwoman, uses little beanbag thingies to stuff her bra. (While she does take hormones, they haven't given her much of a bust yet.) At one point this is discovered by her soccer teammates, but they just assume she's embarrassed about being flat-chested.
- Sparkes of The Wretched Ones, due to being a cross dresser, is always seen wearing fake boobs (unless in his sleep wear). At one point while lecturing his sister, she points out one of them has deflated to distract him.
- In Spying With Lana, Lana has had breast implants (to make them double Ds).
- The Venture Bros.: Dean discovers this of his Distaff Counterpart, but it's unclear from his reaction whether or not said character is just padding, or is cross-dressing.
- South Park's Wendy, at the end of "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society." She's thoroughly mocked for it (she's a fourth grader!) and is back to normal by her next appearance.
- As Told by Ginger: Courtney stuffs her bikini top with bubble wrap so her breasts will appear larger and more like those on a high school girl. Two Alpha Bitches plan to remove Courtney's bikini top and expose her as a bra-stuffer. The plan succeeds, but Macie manages to hide Courtney's breasts with an inner tube.
- In an episode of Home Movies, when the kids are making a parody of Weird Science, Melissa wears a pair of balloons as fake boobs. Even though he knows they're just balloons, Jason still can't stop staring at them.
- Models, strippers, and porn stars often get breast implants as a way of boosting their careers.
- There was even a controversy about a stripper who tried to write off her breast augmentation as a business expense for a tax deduction. Note that this is entirely plausible under the Internal Revenue Code.
- Melanie Griffith went for breast augmentation surgery in the middle of shooting The Bonfire of the Vanities, requiring a re-shoot.