Big-breasted girls with shy personalities and/or a history of being harassed for their "assets" by either lecherous men or jealous women (i.e. D-Cup Distress) may tend to hide them from view, either by wearing baggy clothes or by outright suppressing with bandages, tight bras, etc. Not to be confused with Suppressed Mammaries, where a woman (generally an actress) keeps her assets "at bay" temporarily and with a specific goal/task/purpose in mind. Compare Clark Kent Outfit and Contrast Fake Boobs. Note: Not every convincing female crossdresser qualifies; possessing unambiguously large breasts is a requirement.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The article image is HeartCatch Pretty Cure! character Itsuki Myoudouin in a one-off more or less "safe-for-work" omake page from an otherwise pornographic doujinshi.
- Hungary of Axis Powers Hetalia gets this most prominently on the cover of the most recent volume of the manga compared to having very obvious Boobs of Steel when shown later in-comic in a swimsuit. Truth in Television as she wears a military uniform on the cover, which is not an article of clothing meant to be very flattering.
- One of the "Radio Kon" skits featured Tatsuki as a guest, during which, he called her flatchested. However, Tatsuki debunked the accusation by revealing she's a C-Cup.
- Isane Kotetsu and Captain Unohana usually wear a correctly arranged shihakusho, which hides their curves. Only during the Beach Episode are their body shapes revealed.
- The voluminous cape Stern Ritters wear over their uniforms hides Bambietta's chest. It's not until she's taken off her cloak that her curves are fully visible, especially when her top is partially unzipped, accentuating her cleavage. Her Dark Action Girl personality subverts the timidness associated with this trope.
- Tsukino Yukari from Ai Kora tries a similar approach, though she's quickly encouraged to not do anything that would interfere with her breathing and/or deform her breasts. Eventually, she gets more confident.
- Hiida Sayuri from Best Student Council doesn't seem particularly large, especially when compared to some other fellow members of the eponymous student council. However, Puu-chan somehow gets a word of this and is the first to point it out, much to her chagrin. By the end of the episode in question, a swimsuit shot shows that she is indeed very well-endowed.
- Shiemi Moriyama from Blue Exorcist apparently had hers hidden in her kimono as seen when she changed into the school uniform.
- Cosette Sara from Excel Saga is actually a child-sized adult with disproportionately sized breasts, which she somehow manages to keep hidden until late in the series. Too bad for the resident Comedic Lolicon, who until then had been lusting after her (he's totally Squicked out and leaves, to her disappointment).
Cosette: Actually, I'm... a G-Cup!!
- In Genzo, crossdressing raised-as-a-boy Kiyone has this: to be specific, while disguised as Chiyomaru the disguise is flawless, but after The Reveal her breasts become much more noticeable.
- Meguru from Hatsukoi Limited wears a too-small bra, and actively avoids both her favorite pastime and the guy she likes because she's embarrassed by her large breasts.
- In Hellsing', Seras Victoria is notably more buxom out of her police uniform. Of course, given that she'd been wearing a bulletproof vest at the time, this is fully justified.
- Charlotte Dunois in Infinite Stratos shows up to the school disguised as a male. The charade persists through a locker room interaction with the only other male at the school and a battle wearing the male combat uniform, which includes a top that it would be generous to call a tank top, yet does not reveal her sizable breasts.
- Another one would be Honne Nohotoke from Ichika's class. Due to her wearing her Pika-tan outfit so much, one really wouldn't be able to tell.
- Invoked by Satou in Interviews with Monster Girls. She's a succubus but is unwilling to seduce anyone, so she tends to make herself less attractive than she is, like wearing baggy clothes in an attempt to conceal her curves. She's so busty that doing so makes her appear above average, which still counts as a success since she's a lot bigger when relaxing in house clothes.
- Fubuki, the ninja maid in Kamen no Maid Guy, is revealed to be more endowed than she usually appears because her clothes have a slimming effect. Unfortunately, this makes her ineligible to help Naeka with her math.
- Kumin in Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions's breast size only showed up in the seventh episode of anime, when she changed to causal clothing.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED' has Lacus Clyne, who may not look like much at first glance, but by the time Destiny rolls around she's either grown rapidly in two year gap between the two series or she's a more well endowed than she lets on if the post-commercial intro is any indication. It's subverted because the Lacus with the larger breast size was actually a Body Double named Meer Campbell. And though Meer did get plastic surgery to look more like Lacus, her breasts are her natural ones; we get to see pictures of her from before she became Lacus's body double, and she already was very well-endowed.)
- Although there is nothing canonical to indicate that she is actually embarrassed by it, Hinata Hyuuga hid her assets under a baggy jacket Pre-Time Skip. This could actually be said to be symbolic for her hiding herself from others, especially her crush Naruto. Her clothing in Shippuden better displays her growth. More accurately, after the Time Skip her breasts have grown so large that even her loose-fitting coats can't hide them very well. Additionally Played for Laughs in the "Road to Ninja" manga special, in which she attempts to cover her bust, until Sakura assures her that there's no need to be self-conscious. Cue Sakura getting very, very jealous.
- During Tsunade's introduction, a short montage of her comings and goings is made, including pointing out the fact that she has a near-permanent illusion jutsu up to make herself appear younger, typically in her early-to-mid 30's but at one point looking like a modestly endowed 19 year old.
- In New Game!, the Hot-Springs scene in S2E05 shows that Nene has a rather impressive rack (bigger than Aoba and Hotaru's comparatively modest chests, at least), which up to this point has been hidden by baggy, frumpy and childish clothes. A Beach Episode in the Prequel has Aoba and Hotaru discussing how big they are when sketching a bikini clad Nene.
- Seishiro Tsugumi of Nisekoi is able to completely pass off as a boy when she wears a male school uniform. When she puts on a dress, she's a rival for the largest bust amongst the female cast.
- Ranma ½ used it as a plot point twice, concerning Ukyō:
- It was first used to setup the Gender Reveal at the end of her introductory arc. The students at Furinkan thought she was a boy, until she and Ranma fought and he inadvertently wound up with a handful of her melons, while grappling her.
- Ryoga also thought Ukyō was a boy when she challenged him to a fight. Just as he'd about to finish her off, Ranma intervened by pulling Ukyō's jacket open; exposing her sarashi bound cleavage. Thereby stunning Ryoga long enough to KO him.
- In Saki Achiga-hen, Yuu Matsumi, due to being easily chilled as a result of her condition tends to wear thick clothing most of the time. It's not immediately obvious, but she has very large breasts, almost as large as Nodoka's.
- Class president/magical girl cosplayer Mai Ootsuka in School Rumble is said by the boys in her class to be concealing a gigantic bosom, but she does a good job of keeping it hidden.
- An egregious case appears with Seikoku no Dragonar's light novel's character Oscar Brailsford, a Sweet Polly Oliver who dons a male's shirt and gets away looking like a skinny male comparable to the protagonist. After the reveal, she reappears wearing a dress which shows her having one of the largest busts of the entire Unwanted Harem, many of whom have extraordinary large breasts themselves.
- Kazumi Yoshida from Shakugan no Shana, she does not look different from other students in her dresses, but ever since a bathroom scene where she is shown to have hidden her assets, her large breasts are used for Fanservice in every Beach Episode and parody that follows, contrasting with Shana.
- Aya Tojo in Strawberry 100% has a D cup size, but nobody in the school note this until her change of look (that is relative only to face). Manaka discover this when is stuck with her and Nishino in a closet.
- Akira Hiiragi of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid also masquerades as a young man (supposedly the only one on the island, in fact) and binds her breasts to pull it off. When she's first seen without the bindings, her breasts are enormous, being among the largest in a setting that has Lady J as the apex of bust size.
- The World God Only Knows has Yui Goidou, who tends to wear rather form concealing clothes like kimonos and later boy's uniforms. During her capture arc, a bored Keima briefly (and nonsexually) plays with them while bathing. In chapter 158, the goddess Mars attempts to weaponize this, to Vulcan's dismay.
- H.E.R.O. (a revival of the old DC comic Dial H for Hero) sees the male (originally) protagonist transform into a tall, busty female superhero. After some turmoil, he (she?) loses the costume for a larger, more concealing Batman sweatshirt. In the later Dial H revival of the series, one of Manteau's stated reasons for wearing the same mask and long cloak whatever the Dial turns her into is to cover up overly buxom and Stripperiffic looks.
- Parodied in a Rat-Man story with the top model Jessica Lovebol: she has some visibly large breasts, but when she loses her bikini bra they're revealed as large as the entire beach.
- Done realistically with Kirche where she has to use a whalebone corset which causes her a great deal of pain and breathing problems. After she's forced to remove it, it's revealed she broke one of her ribs.
- Inverted with Louise whose armor is designed to make her look more endowed than she actually is.
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby: After being dumped by Carly, known for her 'perfect breasts', Ricky Bobby's begins to reciprocate (his personal assistant) Susan's feelings for him. By the end of the film, he's so in love with her that he's even willing to turn down Carly to be with her. It's only then that Susan opens her ever-present woolly jumper and flashes Carly, revealing that she has Gag Boobs so large that when somebody tries taking a picture on their phone, he has to ask her to turn around so that he can take a picture of the other one, because he can't fit them both on the screen at once. Even Carly cheerfully admits that she's impressed.
- Done in-universe by Mulan to hide her true gender because women were not allowed in ancient China's military. She gets found out only after already proving her worth, which becomes a plot point later due to the earned trust of her comrades.
- In The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, it turns out Kyra has a large chest and uses baggy clothing to disguise it, due to her belief that All Men Are Perverts. And then she flashes Donnie. And Brian Michael Bendis.
- In Peter David's Star Trek: The Next Generation novel Imzadi, there's an Orion scientist called Mary Mac working in Starfleet who wears baggy clothes to help avoid unwanted male attention.
Live Action Television
- Cynthia of Malcolm in the Middle does this after hitting puberty and having a growth spurt in more ways than one, to avoid getting teased by her classmates. She wears a very heavy jumper. Malcolm, of course, finds out after Cynthia sets said jumper on fire by accident during an argument and has to get it off in a hurry. When Reese finds out, he tricks her into being his girlfriend, until Malcolm asks him if Reese knows what her name is in front of her. Realizing he's been caught, he goes for broke and gives them a squeeze, which results in him getting the living crap kicked out of him.
- Alex Dunphy on Modern Family as she has matured. Since she is a Hollywood Nerd, she does not wear clothing that showcases her assets. But they are impossible to hide completely, even under bulky sweat shirts. To the extent that her actress, Ariel Winter, had F cup breasts by the age of 15 and underwent breast reduction surgery at the age of 17. The reactions were obvious.
- Advanced V.G. II: Kyoko's default character portrait makes her appear semi-flatchested, but her defeat portrait reveals that she binds her breasts with sarashi. She's actually packing a pair of D-Cups underneath.
- Charlotte Marie Colde in Samurai Shodown actually has the same bust size as the infamously buxom Mai Shiranui; however she wears armor that hides that so you wouldn't know it. (Which makes Charlotte a surprising rare straight example of this trope in a Fighting Game.)
- Vice from The King of Fighters. Her measurements seem to indicate that her assets are slightly bigger than those of Mai Shiranui. But it's not at all evident (and she looks fairly flat too) when she's fighting in her usual tight-fitting office outfits.
- This actually applies to many of the KOF gals thanks to a combination of this trope and Depending on the Artist. Shermie (92cm), Angel (92cm), Vice (90cm), Elizabeth (90cm), Mature (88cm), Blue Mary (88cm), and Foxy (87cm) officially equal or measure larger than the 87cm Mai, with King (86cm), B. Jenet (86cm), Diana (86cm), Chizuru (85cm), and Leona (84cm) being not too far behind her in terms of cup size. However, most of them are usually depicted wearing more conservative/less revealing attire than Mai and being modest up top in comparison (can't outdo SNK's sex symbol, after all). On top of this, Mai, partially modeled after the then-94cm Fumie Hosokawa, is always drawn bigger than her measurements would indicate. The trend seems to be reversing somewhat due to the new art style introduced in XII, although Mai is still portrayed as chestier.
- King played this trope straight in Art of Fighting where she passed herself off as a man. If she is defeated with a special attack, though, her breasts spill out of her suit.
- Persona 4's Naoto Shirogane is hinted at being this in addition to being a Bokukko. When Rise is reading a doctors chart she is shocked at Naoto's bust size but is quickly shut up before she can say what it is. Her Hot Springs Episode picture does show there is more there than she normally lets on. In any case, while she definitely isn't completely flat, Fanon takes it Up to Eleven.
- The anime also reveals that she is packing a lot under there (specially seen in the animated rendition of said Hot Springs Episode), but like the above, Fanon tends to exaggerate her actual bust size.
- The sequel Persona 4: Arena has Akihiko complain that she's completely underdeveloped everywhere except her chest, but adds that that is just fat (In actuality, Akihiko doesn't say this. Labrys's Shadow makes Naoto think Akihiko is saying things that are designed to hurt her). While aware of this, she doesn't seem to like having it pointed out.
- The extended epilogue in Persona 4 Golden shows her assets more clearly, due to her wearing a form fitting blouse and no longer binding her chest, and she is indeed quite stacked. This is further confirmed in Persona 4: Dancing All Night, which takes place after Golden's epilogue.
- The light novel Persona x Detective NAOTO, which takes place a year after the game, also shows Naoto wearing clothes that don't hide her figure, and she's got some nice tracts of land◊.
- In Final Fantasy VII, Aeris is actually bigger than Tifa in this area, if you compare their models. Her modest dress and jacket, compared to Tifa's tight tank top, go a long way towards hiding this. This might, however be an artifact of the simplistic models. Higher resolution depictions and official art more or less corroborate this. Tifa's a little bigger, but Aerith is by no means small.
- In Final Fantasy V, Faris is actually a woman who pretends to be a man since it'd be a rather bad idea to be the sole woman on a pirate ship. A passing comment by Galuf states that she's actually very buxom and simply hides it under heavy clothing.
- From the Neptunia series:
- Neptune is a slightly unusual case. Her usual body is teenaged and only modestly developed, but her Super Mode puts on about four cup sizes (and to be fair, about as many years in general). Given a nod when she loses her immortality at one point and freaks out over the idea of aging, saying outright she has her HDD form to use when she wants sex appeal.
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory brings Plutia to the table, who goes from proportions that accentuate her childish self to being quite proud of her borderline-Gag Boobs. And then we have Peashy (basically a little girl) and her HDD mode Yellow Heart who more or less has the largest boobs in the game, causing some envy from Vert/Green Heart (busty in both forms).
- Kantai Collection has several characters whose damaged sprites' Clothing Damage reveal surprisingly large busts; It's especially glaring for the ones that are destroyers (Ushio being arguably the most [in]famous example), as destroyers generally have petite body types.
- Jack is noticeably bustier in Mass Effect 3 than 2 despite wearing more. She mentions to Miranda at one point that the leather straps she wore flattened her out some because "bouncing everywhere is a bad idea in a maximum security prison".
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Used as Makoto's dizzy animation, where her dogi slips partway down her shoulder and exposes her cleavage. Which is also what finally cleared up the confusion about whether she was a girl, or not.
- The female player character preset "Scholar Ling" in Jade Empire already appears to be the bustiest of the three such models, but how tightly she's bound up hints that she could be even more so.
- Concept art of Mei from Overwatch shows she's very well endowed. There is nothing in-game to suggest this, with the rest of her thick looking clothes leading you to believe she's just wearing layers on her chest too.
- Castile from Phantom Brave is a wheelchair-bound Ill Girl who's always shown wearing a loose-fitting nightgown. She gets better at the end of the game, however, so this doesn't apply to her cameo appearances in other Nippon Ichi games, and it turns out she's not cut from the same cloth as Etna, Flonne, and Marona after all.
- Samurai Warriors: Aya, the resident Token Wholesome of the series, is shown to have a fairly stacked chest in many of her more fanservice-y DLC outfits.
- Fire Emblem Heroes: Sharena wears armor large enough that her upper body can't really be seen, but other official art shows her without it.
- Ash from Paladins wears heavy armor in-game, but concept art revealed that her character model is quite busty under the armor.
- Fate/stay night's Sakura Matou, of all people, turns out to be an E-cup note , according to Taiga. It's not really visible outside of the H-scenes, though it's slightly more prominent in her casual clothes. Note that this is a Japanese E-cup, which has its letter derived from centimeters instead of inches and scales to the same ratio - still well-endowed, but not as much as it sounds to an American reader. There is also the fact that the art in earlier type moon works aren't that great at emphasizing curves. This is also present in Tsukihime and Melty Blood in regards to its curvy characters.
- Ayu from Kanon is a 17 years old teenager who looks like a elementary school girl, but when she takes off her cloak, you can see that her chest size is around as the other female leads.
- Katawa Shoujo: Some of the girls' nude scenes reveal their breasts to be bigger than you might have expected, partly because the way that different artists draw the same characters is rather inconsistent. This isn't so much an issue with Lilly and Shizune (who are clearly bigger than the others), nor with Emi (who's small, but not flat), as it is with Hanako and Rin:
- Hanako in her standard school uniform sprite set has the chest-hugging button-down shirt that girls wear, which shows her chest is substantial, but in that set she's drawn with somewhat unflattering proportions that make her torso look too big and her breasts seem smaller by comparison. The sprites for her street clothes and nightgown, as well as most of the CGs, make her whole body look more slender and delicate while at the same time de-emphasizing her chest. When she takes everything off it looks as if her breasts are actually in the same league as Shizune, which is to say, pretty big!
- Rin Tezuka also clearly has a significant bosom, as you sometimes see in profile, but most of the time she wears a loose-fitting boy's shirt that gives you only a vague idea of the relationship between her chest and body. The good path in her route takes you to her second sex scene, where you see that her breasts may not be as big as Shizune or Lilly's, but they're still nothing to sneeze at. The fact that by that point she's been worryingly undernourished from how she Forgets to Eat while she's painting actually makes her breasts stand out in greater relief.
- In Dracu-Riot!, protagonist Yuuto's convinced that Nicola's boobs contain some kind of space time magic that allows her chest to look flat while dressing as a guy, when in reality they are just huge.
- We have a male variant in Morenatsu; Kounosuke superficially looks more boyish when fully-clothed (just chubbier than normal), but he displays very much a Bara Genre body type when the shirt comes off.
- In Pixiv, this is denoted as "隠れ巨乳". note
- White Dark Life has Eloria. She's normally seen in a metallic suit and has the same body style as the male characters (read, totally flat), but when she's wearing a less constricting outfit she sports a pair of Gag Boobs.
- Vampire Cheerleaders: You don't usually get to see Charlotte's, because she's shy and dresses conservatively. But on the few occasions that you do, you can see she's stacked.
- Some accuse Velma from Scooby-Doo, as whenever she is in any outfit from her iconic sweater, she is shown to have a very nice figure.
- Daria Morgandorfer of Daria fame dresses in ill-fitting or otherwise unflattering clothing. Once when she dressed up like her sister, the formfitting outfit revealed that not only is Daria's bust substantially more ample than Quinn's, the curvature of her hips is more pronounced as well.