"To be truly "Godly", it is best that a female have a "boyish", that is, non-adult female body, while having a feminine presentation. Obviously, sexually mature female bodies need not apply."A woman has large breasts and hates them. The three most common reasons are that she doesn't appreciate the attention they bring her, and/or that they're too much of a physical burden and that large breasts are considered to be inconsistent with modesty and traditional family values and as a result, these women are often subject to Slut-Shaming. It's rare for these women to be around other characters who can sympathize with them. While these women see their large breasts as being a burden, expect other characters to see it as being a blessing, not understanding why having large breasts could be a problem. Contrast to A-Cup Angst and Big Breast Pride and compare Petite Pride. For the Spear Counterpart of sorts, see Muscle Angst.
—Diary of an Autodidact, Modesty Culture Part 9: Inconsistent Application of Rules
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Myuu does not like her huge rack because it is difficult to find clothes that fit her, and she keeps popping buttons.
- In an early chapter of Ai Kora, Yukari becomes self-conscious about her ample bosom and tries wearing a "breast-reduction" bra, which is really just a regular bra that's several sizes too small being sold by an unscrupulous salesman. Hachibei is more interested in Yukari's breasts for their shape rather than their size, but when he finds out what happened he talks Yukari into accepting her body (and secretly takes the time to inflict some righteous retribution on the salesman who preyed on her insecurities).
- Mina from Air Master is very embarrased by her large bust.
- This is a part of Sakaki's poor self-image in Azumanga Daioh, along with being a Huge Schoolgirl in general. She's not got Gag Boobs by any means, but she's rather buxom compared to the Japanese stereotype, and noticeably more busty than any of her friends.
- Mizuki Himeji of Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts complains that her breasts are heavy and she has trouble finding the right bra size.
- Later on in the story during the Black Magic Incident (long story), Akihisa swapped bodies with Himeji and understood that being so buxom isn't good for movement etc at all. For a comparison, he find that Minami's slender body is much better in mobility and strength.
- One short story in Binbō-gami ga! has Momiji forcibly switch bodies with Ichiko, in order to ruin her reputation. Before leaving Momiji brags about how awesome it is to have big breasts only to come back about a minute later to complain how burdensome large breasts are and tell Ichiko she feels sorry for her. Still doesn't stop her from wanting big breasts, however.
- Lee Kim-soon, a government agent and martial artist from The Breaker:New Waves hates her large breasts. In the side story chapters 9.5 and 19.5, she limited her martial arts training to practicing just one type of kick because she hates the way her breasts jiggle if she uses any other martial arts moves. She even said she planned on using her bonus pay from one mission to get breast reduction surgery.
- Downplayed with Centorea from Daily Life with Monster Girl. She doesn't show much resentment towards her ample chest, but she gets embarrassed whenever people bring attention to it. She also is utterly incapable of finding a bra that will survive her Gag Boobs.
- Invoked and parodied in Fairy Tail's "Freaky Friday" Flip filler. Lucy herself never complains about her large breasts, but when Gray ends up in her body, he immediately notes that her back is terribly sore.
- In Gou-dere Bishoujo Nagihara Sora, Sora uses her powers to perform Breast Expansion on Tenka. She doesn't like it and begs Sora to undo it, but she refuses and doesn't understand why anybody would not appreciate it. The new breasts weigh Tenka down and hurt when she tries to run or practice martial arts. To make matters worse, her martial arts teacher turns out to be an asshole who only trained her because he had a fetish for flat-chested girls. Once she gets her new breasts, he declares he sees no value in her now, expels her from the dojo, backhands her to the ground, and almost beats her up before the others save her. Tenka eventually decides to keep her breasts when she gets a crush on Shouta, whom Sora claimed liked large breasts.
- Yae from Hanjuku Joshi really hates having large breasts, even wearing a painfully small bra in an attempt to flatten them down.
- Miu Fuurinji in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple laments her size, mostly due to how it interferes with her being a martial artist. The fact that several characters call her a dairy cow contributes to this.
- Natsumi Hinata from Keroro Gunsou is reminded more often that she'd like that (usually by the Schoolgirl Lesbians stalking her) she's more well-endowed than average, and seems to think they're more a burden than a blessing. One of her fears is that she'll "end up a mutant like mom" and the effects of Kururu's age-changing beam in volume three indicate that this is indeed destined to be her terrible fate.
- Motoko Aoyama of Love Hina gripes at one point that, since her breasts are so big already and still growing, it makes it harder for her to wrap her sarashi. To add context, she's a Huge Schoolgirl devoted to kendo and (for the most part) Does Not Like Men: three reasons she sees her breasts as a burden.
- Yamraiha from Magi – Labyrinth of Magic complains that the weight of her breasts makes her shoulders stiff.
- Yuna from Mahou Sensei Negima! is annoyed about her bust growing since it gets in the way of playing basketball.
- Oiso from Manyu Hikencho is notable for being one of the few large breasted women in the series to hate her breasts. She was formerly her village's best diver but her breasts grow so large that they got in the way of her diving. When Chifusa ends up having to use the breast-absorbing technique on her, shrinking Oiso's breasts, Oiso is grateful.
- The Demon Queen from Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is oblivious to the attractiveness of her huge rack and feels the "useless meat" is just weighing her down. She also dislikes sexy outfits and prefers more conservative clothing instead.
- Subverted in One Piece when Sanji, in Nami's body, complains about how difficult it is to run with Nami's very large breasts. (And after Nami is brought into Franky's body, notes how light her chest is without breasts.) It's subverted when he grabs them while complaining, realizes that he's touching Nami's breasts, and his complaints are washed away with pure joy.
- Roxy Simpson from Planetes has "a complex about her breasts" as Tanabe puts it. Planetes being a highly realistic and mature series, this is one of those rare examples where this trope is played rather seriously. Roxy works as a receptionist and the way men keep harassing her and asking her on dates makes her worried that she looks slutty.
- The fact that she used to be a prostitute doesn't help.
- Shii of Puni Puni Poemi has an absolutely enormous chest, large enough that she has to set them down on things around the house to keep from falling over, including the title character's head and she apparently once smothered the cat. When each of the family members gets an Imagine Spot for what they'd wish for with Puni Puni Poemi's magical powers, Shii's spot shows a flat-chested version of herself.
- A more downplayed version appeared in Servant × Service, where Yamagami is actually relieved that Chihaya guessed her chest puppies' size to be merely F-Cup!
- Yuka Takeuichi from Variable Geo gets depressed over that the fact that her already large breasts are still growing. It's mainly because it's cause her work clothes not to fit properly.
- Miss Aoshika from Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest has had large breasts since the time she was a teenager, and they've attracted her a lot of unwanted attention (and what's more people tend to claim that she's "asking for it" due to her figure).
- Furutani Himawari of Yuru-Yuri is notably stacked for a 13-year old and does not enjoy it as she feels it alienates her from her classmates and brings unwanted attention. Not to mention it drives her best friend Sakurako nuts
- The idea is briefly toyed with in Yet Again with Tsunade, with the narration casually mentioning that what keeps them from being an inconvenience to her is a basic chakra control exercise.
- Cordelia in Blue Belle is highly irritated that one of the leftovers from Halloween is an additional two cup sizes, mostly because it's hard to find bras in an F-cup.
- Like Power Girl, of whom she is a magically created clone, Alexandra Harris of Origin Story is a little top heavy. She usually doesn't mind the attention it brings her, and as a Kryptonian the backaches just don't happen. Rather, her primary complaint about needing a 40-H bra is that its near impossible to find a bra in that size that doesn't (in her words) "belong on a either a granny or a porn star."
- Mentioned in Superbad by the two protagonists (sex-obsessed teenage boys) when discussing a woman's breast reduction surgery. One of them points out the back problems they caused her, while the other one claims that opting for this surgery is akin to spitting in God's face.
- In the short film Size 'Em Up, a teenage soccer player is dragged to a bra shop by her mother. She's already reluctant and uncomfortable, and becomes considerably more so when the clerk checks her out and declares that she's a 34DD, because she had never even heard of a size like that before.
- In Now And Then, tomboy Roberta is shown binding her breasts with masking tape, while lamenting "No matter what I do, they just keep getting bigger!" On the other hand, flat-chested Teeny is so eager to have breasts that she stuffs her top with pudding-filled balloons, as they have a similar consistency to human breasts. As an adult, she proudly tells her friends that she is a "36D, and worth every penny!"
- In American Psycho, Patrick Bateman is a fan of a fictional talk show called The Patty Winters Show. One morning, one of the guests on the show is a woman who once had large breasts but underwent breast reduction surgery. Naturally, Bateman and all of his colleagues privately ridicule her for her decision.
- In Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret., Margaret and the other girls envy Laura Danker, who developed breasts early. Boys ogle her and girls circulate gossip about her. Later in the story, it's revealed that Laura wishes she didn't have them: she doesn't like the attention they attract.
- In the Dragonlance novels, Tika Waylan feels awkward and dumpy because of her big breasts and is envious of the elven princess Laurana's slender figure.
- In One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Nurse Ratched resents having large breasts and tries to hide them.
- In the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Georgia is distressed about her rapidly growing breasts; "It's like carrying two small people around with me".
- In Cauldron of Ghosts, Yana is aggravated that her disguise includes large hips and bust, due to them throwing off her balance and being a general inconvenience to an Action Girl.
- Morgan from the Once a Thief series has a very generous bust, and has always hated the attention it attracts. Before the beginning of the story, she would wear multiple layers and unflattering clothes to downplay the size of her breasts. It's commented on quite a few times in the series, and it embarrasses her every time.
- A Chappelle's Show sketch presented an It's a Wonderful Plot scenario for this where a woman hates her large breasts but later learns to appreciate them after an angel shows her that if she didn't have large breasts the world would end.
- In Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (episode 3x12, "Ladies Night, Part 2"), Colleen tries to bind her breasts and tells Dr. Quinn, "I don't want them" after receiving inappropriate attention from the boys in town.
- One episode of Malcolm in the Middle had Malcolm's friend with this problem, always wearing overly-large sweaters to hide her chest. When Reese finds out and tries to seduce her just for the chance to see them, Malcolm has to try to stop him without letting Cynthia know he revealed her secret.
- In an SCTV parody of "The Nutty Professor" with Ed Grimley, the love of his life is despairing over their supervisor's boorish harrassment:
Stella: Oh, why was I born with these big bazongas?Ed: Oh, I'm sure you weren't born with them; I'm sure they developed over time, ya know?
- On Two and a Half Men, Chelsea (to whom Charlie was engaged for awhile) contemplates breast reduction surgery to help with back problems she'd been having (on the advice of Alan, who's a chiropractor). Charlie desperately tries to talk her out of it. After Charlie eventually accepts it, he accidently points out that having a smaller chest will make people notice her ass more, which immediatly changes Chelsea's mind.
- An episode of Roseanne had her doctor suggesting a breast reduction because of the back pain she had been suffering. Before the operation, she has a nightmare that they gave her a breast enlargement instead.
- In The War At Home, teen Hilary is suffering A-Cup Angst, wishing that she had larger breasts like her mother. Mom says that having big breasts is a pain in the back, literally.
- On My So-Called Life, a list made by the boys at school circulates that rates various girls. Sharon is mentioned for her large breasts, which makes her very self-conscious. (Angela, on the other hand, isn't mentioned at all. Angela's mom insists it's better to blend in then it is to stand out, but ultimately the Aesop is that the list dehumanizes all the girls whether they're "praised," insulted, or left out entirely.)
- A hilarious monologue in the mostly serious play How I Learned To Drive has the main character comparing her emerging boobs to parasitic aliens who have latched on to her.
- Litchi Faye-Ling from BlazBlue downplays this a bit. She isn't entirely ashamed of her figure, so it isn't H-Cup Hell (seriously), but the big part of her cosplay fetish (seen in the various gag reels) is that she can't wear the outfits herself due to her figure.
- Naoto Shirogane from Persona 4 isn't exactly confirmed to have large breasts, but the context clues seem to point to it, and she is not happy about it. This is most likely because, at least at the beginning of her story, she doesn't want to be a girl, and hiding large breasts to make her appear to be flat-chested can be difficult. Also, she is very shy about them, as can be seen in several scenes from the game, such as the hot springs scene where all the girls are surprised, and the beauty pageant scene, where Naoto refuses to do the bathing suit part of the competition. The size of her breasts is alluded to during the scene where all the main characters decide to go to the doctor for check-ups. Rise starts to read the sizes of everyone's busts off the results sheet of paper, and after reading Naoto's is shocked, stating that it can't possibly be right. Naoto promptly yanks the paper out of Rise's hands.
- Sypha from Castlevania: Judgment is pissed off that she has such large breasts. This is only mentioned in Maria Renard's story, where Sypha is one of the three characters that Maria has dialogue in outside of the pre-match words.
Maria: ''Uh huh... They're huge...Sypha: (annoyed) Will you stop? These things only get in the way.
- Misfile Ash hates having large breasts (that are still growing) and would rather be a flat-chested girl everyone ignores. This is because Ash used to be a guy and would really much like to be one again.
- Chanel of Rain is one of the shortest students in her school and she has big breasts, which attracts a lot of boys...except she's afraid of boys. And she's homoromantic. Chanel has some resentment toward her breasts.
- Natani of TwoKinds is similar to Ash above; because of a near-fatal Black Magic spell in her youth, part of her soul was torn away and had to be replaced with a transplant from her brother. This means she is fundamentally a transsexual, identifying herself as male despite her female form, and so her breasts are just a reminder that her body and mind don't match. Normally she's indifferent - the breasts are easily held back by a good set of bandages and a thick jacket - but she finds plenty to complain about in the regular heat cycle she experiences.
- Maxima of Grrl Power dislikes her large bust as it interferes with drawing her sidearm. Not to mention the unwanted attention it gets. On the plus side, virtually every woman she works with has a similar chest size, so at least she doesn't have to worry about jealousy too much.
- The Head Maid of White Dark Life loathes her figure and is trying to save up for plastic surgery to remove them. Though she's not above abusing her breasts while she still has them.
- She ends up being joined by Eloria, with the justification that she is a warrior demon. Best not to let those dangle around while swinging an oversized axe.
- Busty Girl Comics is an entire webcomic archive devoted to sharing the woes of large-chested women (and a few perks here and there).
- One of the characters on Miserable Comedians developed early, and was relentlessly bullied for it by the other girls in her high school. As an adult, she has worked her breast issues into her standup.
- Wapsi Square:
- Monica has some towards her breasts, in part because her petite height makes them stand out even more.
- Atsali has this as well. It's partly because jumped up to her current size from an A-Cup or so literally overnight, and partly because she is unable to really shrink it much with her ability to take human guise, and she doesn't like the Enthralling Siren stereotype the size and her species brings.
- Too Much Information has Rocky, a bald black Butch Lesbian who, as the result of becoming pregnant by her transexual fiance Carly, has gone from being completely flat-chested to having a pair of tiny, barely noticeable breasts. They're still big enough (meaning that they're visible at all) that she finds them extremely annoying.
- Played with in The Simpsons episode "Large Marge", where, due to a screw-up by the hospital, Marge ends up with breast implants. Initially, she wanted to get rid of the implant as soon as possible due to how unwieldy and clumsy they make her, hiding them from her family, but she soon enjoys the extra attention they bring her. Later, however, the attention becomes too much, she starts getting backaches, and by the end of the episode she has the implants removed. Or as Homer puts it, "Classic Marge".
- Similarly Played With in the South Park episode "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society", where Bebe's newly-developed breasts cause the boys in class to revert to cavemen. She winds up undergoing a reduction as Wendy undergoes an enlargement, jealous of the attention Bebe was getting.
- Soleil Moon Frye, originally known as a child actress in Punky Brewster, became so endowed when she matured (due to a condition known as gigantomastia) that she elected to have breast reduction surgery before she was 16.
- Something similar happened to Argentinian actress Florencia Peña.
- Ariel Winter from Modern Family didn't quite have gigantomastia, but having an F-cup at age 15 was not only awkward for a sitcom star but it was physically uncomfortable (particularly in her neck and back). So she choose to have them slimmed down to a D-cup and hasn't regretted the decision.
- Many times, female athletes, especially in sports where people are expected to move around a lot, prefer a "lean, mean" look since a large bust can actually be a handicap. This is one aspect behind the design of athletic and sports bras: helping to contain them and reduce their movement. In extreme cases, some women opt to undergo surgery to reduce cumbersome breasts down to a more manageable size.
- One example of the latter is Romanian tennis player Simona Halep. Her large breasts interfered with her game and were sometimes physically painful during play, so she had them reduced. (Though she said she would have done so even if she had not been an athlete).
- Many girls who hit puberty early and develop breasts before their peers experience this, with some kids using it as an excuse to bully and sexually harass them.
- Large breasts can cause health problems such as back pain and even curvature of the spine in some cases.