Goddesses, descend on the field of battle!Variable Geo
is a three-episode OVA series produced in 1996 by KSS
. It is based on
a series of H-Games
of the same name, though like the games in the continuity it loosely adapted
, it lacks actual hentai content.
This OVA provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: A flashback reveals that Miranda used to beat Reimi, and subjected her to hellish training and experiments, in order to condition Reimi for use as her new host body. When Reimi failed to meet the necessary requirements, Miranda considered her trash, and lost her only interest in her daughter.
- Action Girl: It's a series about a bunch of combat waitresses beating the crap outta each other, 'nuff said.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The penalty for losing at level-1 mandates the loser strip and do this for the crowd.
- Awesome by Analysis: Kaori, who can calculate her opponent's fighting ability, based on their combat data and their latent aura readout.
- Big Bad: Miranda Jahana.
- Body Horror: Miranda threatens to kill Satomi by making her bleed out, in order to force Yuka to surrender her body to her.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Jun, who's style of combat is pro wrestling... with Ki Attacks.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Chiho Masuda during the last episode.
- Clothing Damage: It isn't as prevalent as it is in other series of its nature, but it crops up now and then.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Reimi, covered in the Abusive Parents entry above.
- To a lesser extent, Erina Goldsmith.
- D-cup Distress: Yuka's boobs are pretty big to begin with. She frets when she finds that another of her uniforms has become too tight in the chest, because her breasts are still growing.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: Jun buddies up with Yuka, following her defeat. Erina and her team warm up to Yuka as well.
- Deal with the Devil: Damian offers to cover Daisuke's medical expenses on the condition that Satomi enter the VG tournament, not knowing he had her brother poisoned. Then uses her past defeats, against Yuka, as the final push.
- Dying as Yourself/Go Out with a Smile: Damian, when Siritahi calls him by his real name: Katoon.
- Ecchi: There's plenty of D-cups, gainaxing, and long beautiful legs to see. Plus, the loser of each match has to strip, though all naughty bits are covered.
- Enemy Within: When Reimi proves powerful enough that even the cyber drive enhanced Satomi was no match for her, Miranda activates the seed she implanted in Reimi's body, as a child, to prevent her from winning the match.
- Fanservice with a Smile: Did we mention this is about a tournament for a bunch of combat waitresses? However, special mention goes to Erina and her team of bunnies.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: Manami's rocket glove in action.
- Foreign Fanservice: Erina Goldsmith is the tournament's lone American entrant. As such, she's blonde, busty, and parades around in a bunny costume. So does her team.
- Gag Boobs: Yuka, as seen in the D-cup Distress example above. Erina Goldsmith is also well endowed and uses her cleavage to hold a lighter, as an integral part of her fighting style.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Whenever Satomi's being influenced by the cyber drive, her eye color changes from grey, to day-glow blue. Once the process is complete, however, they become blank white.
- Graceful Loser/Fun Personified: When Erina finds out that Manami tricked her into fighting Yuka, she doesn't get upset over it. Instead, she treats it like a good joke, then she and her team happily shed their costumes, en masse.
- Grand Theft Me: This is the true purpose behind the VG tournament, as Miranda's deceased spirit is looking to take over a suitably powerful body.
- Improbably Female Cast: To be expected, since the tournament is open to women only.
- Incredibly Obvious Bug: A listening device the size of a yoyo with a huge green light on it is affixed to the seat of the woman in charge of the corporation behind the tournament that is the center of the series. This powerful, hypercompetent woman never notices.
- Jane Bondage: Chiho gets caught snooping around the Jihana research facility, and is taken prisoner after being defeated by Satomi. When she regains consciousness, she finds herself bound and at Siritahi's mercy.
- Ki Attacks: Just about everyone has one, most notably: Yuka, Satomi, and the reigning champion, Reimi Jahana.
- Kick Chick: Kaori utilizes Tae Kwon Do.
- Lady of War: Reimi, the sponsor and reigning champion of the VG tournament.
- Left Hanging: We never find out who actually wins the tournament, as the series ends on the first exchange of blows in the deciding battle.
- Love Suicide: The staff evacuates the Jihana Research Facility, once Reimi triggers the self-destruct. Siritahi is heartbroken over Damian's death and chooses to remain with him, even as the ceiling collapses on top of them.
- Manipulative Runt: Manami, who mangages to mooch a free meal off of Jun, then gets Yuka to fight Erina, for her, by leading Erina to believe that Yuka was her next opponent.
- Meaningful Name: Miranda and Reimi's surname, Jahana, means "evil flower", which not only explains Reimi's rose motiff, it becomes a plot point.
- Just as Reimi is about to defeat Satomi, Miranda activates the seed she had implanted in Reimi's body, as a child. It sprouts into a vine covered in white roses, that winds around her body, sapping Reimi's strength. Since she could no longer fight, Satomi is ruled the winner, by default.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Satomi's eyes become blank white, ala Bison's, during the time she's being subjected to the cyber drive project.
- Ninja Log: Invoked by Manami, who sheds her dress to avoid Chiho's kunai.
- Ninja Maid: Make that ninja waitress, in Chiho's case; complete with Ninja Run and Flash Step.
- Not Just A Tournament: The prize money and real estate are simply a means of luring in unsuspecting entrants. The purpose of the tournament itself is to gauge the combants in order to find the ideal host body for Miranda.
- Promotion to Parent: Satomi's been left to look after her ill brother, Daisuke, since their parents died.
- Reality Ensues: What do you suppose happens when someone sets their opponent on fire? See the answer in the Not Funny, Lady!! example on the YMMV page.
- Rocket Punch: Manami's rocket glove.
- Sadistic Choice: After realizing that Satomi wasn't powerful enough, despite the cyber drive's enhancements, Miranda tries to force Yuka to surrender her body to her, under threat of being forced to watch as she killed Satomi, from the inside.
- Serious Business: Even the President makes time to watch VG matches.
- Slow Motion Pass By: Happens on the highway, when Reimi passes Yuka and Jun, on their motorcycle, while in her car.
- Spirited Competitor: Yuka, who lives for the thrill of competition and a good match.
- The Dragon: Damian, to Miranda.
- The Ojou: Reimi is the heiress of the Jahana Corporation though her mother, Miranda, takes issue with that fact.
- This Cannot Be!: Sums up the reaction of Kaori's unnamed opponent when she realizes she has to strip and pay the cost for losing a level-1 match. She tries to run away, but doesn't get far....
- Token Mini-Moe: Manami is actually 15, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her.
- Unkempt Beauty: Satomi, as a result of barely making enough to support herself and her brother.
- Vengeful Spirit: Miranda toward her daughter, Reimi, as seen in the Enemy Within and Meaningful Name entries above.
- Warrior Therapist: Almost literally. Yuka's ability to defeat the opponent hinges upon forming an empathic bond with them, and hitting them with her ultimate attack tends to cleanse their minds.