A completely nude character's "naughty bits" are blocked from the camera by a convenient prop or oddity of architecture, yet every other character in the scene gets an eyeful, usually resulting in either ogling and nosebleeds
, or Squicks
and grabs for the Brain Bleach
. Usually this is used just out of cultural necessity, and/or to hide the fact that the cast members involved weren't really nude in the filming of the scene, but it can be turned into a gag
due to the increasing absurdity of the covering elements, as seen in the Austin Powers
films. Even when technically played straight, overuse of this trope tends to break the audience's Willing Suspension of Disbelief
and effectively become
Another common example is when a female character takes a bath. The bubbles will generally cover her "naughty bits" — somehow like a Modesty Bubble Bath or Modesty Foam Bath. See Censor Suds
for more on this form of scenery censorship.
In comics, speech bubbles are very serviceable too
is when the original footage is censored to allow normal viewing for a different audience, which contains some overlap with this.
For hidden faces, see The Faceless
. For bedtime Scenery Censor techniques, see Modesty Bedsheet
. Related to Godiva Hair
and Hand or Object Underwear
. TV shows and movies (be they animated or live action) that use bathing scenes
usually rely on Censor Steam
or Censor Suds
. For cases in which an actress is pregnant but her character isn't, see Hide Your Pregnancy
open/close all folders
- An add for Fruice played this for laughs as we are introduced to two girls hiding behind a bush, apparently naked talking about a "natural thing". Cue two shirtless guys walking in, then we see that the thing they're hiding is a bottle of Fruice and the girls are just wearing tube tops.
Anime & Manga
- Older Than Steam: The art that hangs in museums is no stranger to Scenery Censor. Take this 15th-century painting by Lucas Cranach the Elder◊. By an improbable coincidence, all four men's genitals are obscure by leaves or other obstacles (the women and children don't mind showing theirs though).
- The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli has Venus fully nude though her hands cover her breasts and her long hair is blowing in the wind to conveniently cover her genitals.
- Olympia by Edouard Manet has a bare-breasted woman on a bed with the white sheets covering her lower area.
- Used as a gag in a Beetle Bailey strip in August 2009 (no longer on the Houston Chronicle site).
- Bloom County:
- Parodied: After Opus the Penguin got a nose-job, the results were concealed from the reader for about a week by a series of increasingly improbably placed household objects.
- Bloom County once did an entire week with all the characters naked (purportedly as a ratings grab) and covered in this fashion. The last strip has Milo standing behind a potted flower, ordering Opus to remove his bow-tie; when he does so, the flower stretches across the panel to cover up his neck.
- Happens in Zits when Jeremy is home alone and decides to march around the living room naked.
- Pooch Cafe. In a series of strips starting July 17th 2014, Poncho goes to a beach where the dogs run around without their collars, which they call a "nude beach". In the following two strips (July 18th and July 19th], after Poncho takes off his collar he is shown with an object covering up his neck, as if the area covered by the collar needed to be censored. Oddly enough, in the strip for July 21st he is shown with his neck uncovered - did the artist forget the gag?
Films — Animation
- The title character of 2007's CG-animated Beowulf fights the monster Grendel in the altogether, with his goods blocked from view by his leg, a sword, smoke and a table, among other things. Grendel's mother (voice, face and rendered body of Angelina Jolie) is "clothed" in weird gold water... stuff.
- In The Little Mermaid, when Ariel is transformed into a human, she's shown in the shadows where barely anything is visible. When she's on the shore, she's wearing nothing but her Seashell Bra, and the audience never sees anything but her legs and upper body until she finally gets dressed. However, her three (male) best friends, a crab, a seagull and a fish, are with her all the time and presumably see everything. (When her father Triton transforms her into a human at the end of the movie, he also gives her a sparkling dress to wear).
- In The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, right after Wallace has had the Were-Rabbit curse lifted, and woken up (so he is now stark naked), Gromit gives Wallace a box to wear. Naturally, the box reads "May Contain Nuts."
- Treasure of Swamp Castle: Szaffi bathing.
- The Simpsons Movie, Bart, skateboarding in the nude, passes by several dozen conveniently placed objects... and then they invert it when he passes a fence with a hole in the middle, resulting in a lengthy, uncensored shot of his animated genitalia (in a PG-13 movie!), while the rest of him is covered up — at least in the uncut version that was shown in the movies and is on DVD and Blu-Ray. The TV version plasters a censor box that reads, "European Version Only" over the hedge with the long hole in it.
Films — Live-Action
- The Austin Powers series has a Running Gag where Austin or a female character will have their privates covered from view by random objects in the environment. The things used to cover usually get more and more phallic in Austin's case, and more voluptous in the case of any woman. At one point, Vanessa Kensington conceals her breasts behind a drawing of a pair of breasts.
- Played straight in Daniel Craig's nude scene in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, in which he paces back and forth behind a table that just covers up his modesty.
- Lampshaded in the pre-Shaolin Soccer Stephen Chow film, Look Out, Officer! (released post-Soccer on American DVD as The Shaolin Idiot). Ordered by a doctor to disrobe for a physical examination, Chow's character, Hsing, runs around the room rearranging items on shelves and tables seemingly at random, finally citing "decency" as his reason. When the doctor points out that he can still see Hsing, Hsing points out at the audience and replies, "But they can't." And sure enough, throughout the following scene, Hsing's lower extremities are hidden at every angle by one of the items he'd placed.
- In Eyes Wide Shut, many obscuring props, and even some digitally generated characters, were deliberately added into the movie's nude scenes in post-production so as to avoid the dreaded NC-17 rating (which, in practice, would have made the movie borderline pornography) and bump the film back into an R rating.
- The Jackie Chan movie The Accidental Spy has one of that actor's usual combat sequences running, then fighting, then running some more, then fighting some more, all the while stark naked in the middle of a Turkish street bazaar. The entire scene is lengthy, and is an unending combination of this and Hand or Object Underwear with extra credit to the film editors for keeping it clean with near-impossible difficulty.
- Subverted in A Clockwork Orange. When Alex is being checked in to the prison, he is stark naked with a box in front of the camera at groin level... then they remove the box.
- According to the DVD commentary on Hulk, Eric Bana was going to be covered by strategically placed objects during his fight with the Hulk Dogs, but upon realising the result was like Austin Powers they went for his Amazing Stretching Pants instead.
- Scary Movie 4 has the president (Leslie Nielsen) naked in front of the UN. Long story. He is censored by several heads and a man's arm. However, it turns disturbing when he stands in front of a flagpole, bends over (still in front of the flagpole) to look at a machine, and very suggestively starts to go lower (with his ass still right in front of the flagpole) all while talking about "loose flabby pink things."
- In the film of Starship Troopers there is a mixed sex shower. As the camera pans around we see naked young men and women showering, chatting and walking about. But somehow a bit of plumbing always manages to be between the camera and any genitals. The boobs do show up, though. There is also Dizzy and Johnny's sex scene which cuts away before they get farther than removing their shirts.
- Lampshaded and Turned Up to Eleven in the Rifftrax Live version, when the "Famous Shower Scene" is discussed frequently by the riffers, but when it actually arrives, a Gorilla Gram is delivered, causing the in-theatre camera to follow the gorilla instead of the film.
- Naked Leeloo in The Fifth Element in a tube before her "bandages" get applied. Her fully nude body is actually visible in the background in several brief shots, which is rare for a PG-13 film.
- The film adaptation of Stephen King's Autopsy Room Four avoids showing the protagonist's groin, despite the fact that it's an important plot point (A paralysed man is mistaken for dead and is about to be cut open for his autopsy, when the startled female doctor realises he has an erection). The dialogue used to imply what's happening is quite funny though.
- In The Whole Nine Yards there is a scene, when the Quirky Miniboss Squad is entering Tudeski's house, where Jill comes out of the bedroom on to the landing, totally nude, as a diversion with the railing covering her genitals but leaving her breasts completely exposed.
- Most people don't seem to remember this trope in Titanic, because Kate Winslet's breasts are unobstructed. Her vulva, on the other hand, is placed very conveniently behind Jack's sketch pad.
- In Avatar, when Norm's Avatar is first shown, its pubic region is obscured by heads and pieces of equipment. In addition, all the female Na'vi could be considered as using this with their necklaces which (barely) cover their nipples.
- The T-X uses a combination of this and Godiva Hair at the beginning of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.
- Sherlock Holmes 2 has Stephen Fry using this. *shudder*
- In Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Alice loses her clothing when she grows into a giant girl. Until the Red Queen gives her appropriately huge clothes, most of her below the shoulders is hidden behind various buildings and trees.
- In The Avengers, Bruce crashes to earth as the Hulk and de-transforms, leaving him, in the words of an observing security guard "buck-ass nude". His naughty bits are (barely) covered by some rubble sticking up beside him.
- In a nudist camp scene in A Shot In The Dark.
- Dawn of the Dead (2004): A bizarre example is present on the US Director's Cut DVD, where a scene is censored by the addition of gore to cover up nudity. CGI blood smears on the wind shield of a car were added so that they obscure the view on the breasts of a nude woman walking past the car. This is especially bizarre since the DVD in question is unrated and features at least one other topless scene, which remained uncensored.
- Goldfinger. James Bond finds Jill Masterson while she's lying dead on the bed while covered in gold paint. When he first looks at her, there's a conveniently placed pillow that blocks the audience from seeing her buttocks.
- The People Vs Larry Flynt uses this to stay within its R rating. When one of Flynt's models is posed naked on a bed, and he tells her to spread her legs for the camera, the audience sees one railing of the footboard blocking the view to her goodies.
- Used in A Fine Mess as a subtrope to I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!. The back wall of the sauna is the exact height needed to cover Claudia's butt when she drops her nightgown and even after she walks forward out of the sauna to distract Tony.
- Actress Angelina Jolie is known for her prolific collection of tattoos, especially on her back. With the rare exception (most notably Wanted in which they were actually augmented cosmetically), make-up or strategically placed clothing is used to hide the tattoos in her films.
- How the 1980 Get Smart movie The Nude Bomb had a PG rating (PG-13 not being around then). Whenever The Nudifier exploded, victims were carrying briefcases or rifles, sitting behind desks or just had their back(side)s to the camera.
- In the 2013 short film Not Another Happy Ending, a character is seen naked sitting at a computer. When she gets up, various objects cover most of her naughty bits.
- This is common in depictions of Adam and Eve in children's Bible story books, along with Godiva Hair for Eve.
- On the covers of the Xanth books, when they depict nude characters (such as female centaurs, who don't wear clothes) they're strategically posed so some part of the scenery or a body part covers the naughty bits.
- This is almost ridiculous in the music video for AKB48's song "Ponytail and Scrunchy": the girls head into the locker room after some sports session, and they are constantly obscured by random towels, locker doors opening, shampoo bottles, etc. Only, there's some random chihuahua that just happened to wander in without them noticing, panting heavily while he watches. Lucky dog...
- Subverted in Devil May Cry; Dante has a sword which appears to cover the a poster of an apparently topless woman; he takes it off, and strategically blocks the view of it, but right before the "camera" changes angles, it is revealed that the woman's breasts were covered (by stars, but still). Later games in the series mysteriously include a bra in the same poster.
- Played straight in DmC Devil May Cry; Dante flies through his trailer in slow motion while naked, pulling on bits of clothing as he goes. Heck, even pizza is used as a censor!
- Metal Gear Solid 2:
- Played with, possibly as a homage to the Neon Genesis Evangelion toothpick scene. Raiden is stripped of his clothes towards the end, and has to run around preserving his modesty — he can, however, press himself to the torture rack he was originally strapped to. He reverts to an arms-stretched out pose, and the camera changes view — to behind a drinks can, the close-up protruding straw◊ completely preserving Raiden's dignity. There's also a hilarious moment when, if he's seen by an enemy soldier, Raiden can retreat to the rack and press himself against it to fool the soldier, who looks on in envy and says, "I wish I had that..." before leaving.
- If you pay attention, at some point during this whole sequence, there's a frame or two where Raiden's dangly bits aren't covered... but his character model doesn't have dangly bits... (as evidenced when he does sideflips). In The Document of MGS2, you can pause and move the camera around freely in any cutscene, including the one in the torture chamber. This allows you to get a full view of Raiden's (lack of) privates.
- In the cutscenes before the section of running around naked, the camera stays clear of Raiden's lower half while he's strapped to the torture bed. One shot has the camera zoom out, with Olga stepping into the frame maintaining Raiden's cover.
- In Bikini Karate Babes, the character Venus finds herself tied to a tree after removing another fighter's top. Aphrodite (that character) finds her and rips off her top to reveal a bra. She then rips that off and Venus's dignity is preserved only by Aphrodite holding her bra like a trophy. Oh, and did I mention it's live action?
- A Mortal Kombat Deception promotional image shows Mileena in her second costume (where she is basically nude) or presumably naked holding her sai weapons. The thin blades manage to cover just enough to make it not explicit.
- Dragon Ball Origins has much of the original comics' dirty humor intact, including the part where Bulma flips her skirt at Master Roshi to make him hand over his dragonball, from his POV to boot and both without the knowledge that she's not wearing any underwear at the moment. Conviniently enough, this being a DS game, the offending part is blocked by the gap between the screens. On the other hand, the game also subverts it by being true to the original comic and making no effort to block any view of kid Goku's penis.
- Dragon Quest VIII also uses this in a not-naughty fashion to prevent you from seeing King Trode and Princess Medea's faces in flashbacks from before they were cursed. This gets very contrived when the only thing blocking Trode's face is Medea's hand gestures.
- Chrono Cross gives you a good shot of Serge's naked body, including his butt, but with his arm covering his penis.
- Geist was given an "M" rating in the US for (among other things) a brief scene containing nudity — but anything objectionable was covered by strategically-placed soap bubbles.
- Grand Theft Auto IV (specifically The Lost and the Damned addon) plays this trope straight and then subverts it, when Johnny meets with Thomas Stubbs III, he (Thomas) is naked after a massage and walks around the room conversing normally with Johnny — his genitals covered up by various props — but then suddenly the camera switches to give us a hefty shot of his dangling genitals.
- In Heavy Rain, the camera angle changes to cover your character's bits whenever they shower or urinate. Madison's breasts are never concealed, though.
- Ouendan 2:
- During the final song showing the various nations contributing their energy to help reheat the sun (its a weird game, just go with it) there a quick scene where we there a very nude statue in background, one of the contributors pump his fist blocking the view as we see an energy beam firing from the... lower regions.
- In the same game, "Go My Way"'s highest difficulty features the cheergirls bathing. During the zoom in before the countdown, you get to see Sayaka (the leader) topless... except her breasts are covered by the gap between the DS screens. Exactly how did Nintendo let this stuff slip by?
- In Streets of Rage, Blaze's fist goes (seemingly unintentionally) beyween the camera and her Minidress of Power when she does a back kick.
- At the start of the ending anime to Xenogears Fei and Elly are trapped naked in a sort of empty parallel dimension and must run towards the point of contact with their own world. The characters glow with a faint aura when standing around (as the camera strategically bounces around) but during their run, while the camera pans with them from the side, Fei in the lead somehow always manages to conceal himself with the leg nearest the camera whereas Elly a few steps behind has her entire torso glow with obscuring light. Then subverted in the next scene when their former friend appears to help them with a full frontal shot to display his lack of attributes (stylistic censorship, or maybe because said character is not exactly human anymore).
- At the beginning of the SNES version of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, we see a demo of the main character walking around naked on his way to a house, with his private area being censored by fences, trucks, and even motorcycles (however, once the Start button is pressed, it bypasses the whole scene). The Angry Video Game Nerd even lampshades this.
- Mostly played straight in Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail as far as Fanservice is concerned, but averted for Fan Disservice (e.g. watching a very hairy fat guy swim in the nude). Most blatantly done at the nudist pool, where Drew Baringmore is sunbathing without a suit with only her laptop and a strategically-placed branch blocking the view. A few times, we see her from Larry's POV and his eyes slowly creep down to her chest. She then pulls a My Eyes Are Up Here, and the POV snaps back to her face. When Larry and Drew are walking away, Larry is walking in the foreground, blocking everything, as noted by the frustrated narrator. Averted if one activates an Easter Egg (by breaking the branch), revealing Drew's boobs. After this, when walking away, the boobs are still visible.
- In the not "Naughty" category, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney has this, in case 1-5. The Blue Badger, a mechanically dancing police mascot (shaped like a badge, not an animal), was moved into storage for a few hours to keep it from being damaged in the bustle of cleaning out evidence lockers. A man broke into this storage room and was supposedly killed there. There is video footage of the attack happening, however, when his identity becomes important, it's easy to note that at all times in the video, his face is constantly either out of shot, or covered by the Badger's batons, which move in time to his movements. Not quite perfectly as, if you watch closely, you can see towards the end that the Blue Badger is doing a twitch and doesn't start moving, to keep the person's identity still a secret. It starts moving a second later again.
- Hilarious Lampshade Hanging in one strip of Freefall. Florence's efforts to maintain her modesty make for a bit of a running gag; she's successful in keeping first Sam and then Winston from getting a good look at her completely naked... but she finally meets a robot who can see right through her clothes and her fur, and (even though readers still don't see a thing), poor, flustered Flo feels utterly exposed.
- This strip of Schlock Mercenary features the subtrope Godiva Hair as well, and even hangs a lampshade on it in the strip's commentary.
- Questionable Content:
- Misfile: One naked outburst, three panels. You can guess where the panel breaks are.
- K. Fuhr is fond of this technique and uses it from time to time; see for instance this Boy Meets Boy strip.
- In The Adventures of Dr. McNinja, one of Dr. McNinja's old college buddies transforms into a monster — rather like Hulk — and all his clothes rip off, hidden only by shadows, his arms, a tricky lobster person, and when he reverts back to normal an inexplicable stream of paper.
- Magick Chicks: Instances of onscreen nudity are rare, but when it happens, the comic maintains its PG-13 rating by oscuring all naughty bits from view with clever placement of foreground objects, the characters hair, or even speech bubbles.
- Last Res0rt: Adharia's top rips open during a live broadcast, and all we see are the tattered bits of her shirt covering up anything interesting. To top it off, the two men with the best probable view were reptiles — talk about a waste!
- Goodbye Chains loves to do this. At one point, they used a word bubble. A very tiny one.
- This strip of Scary Go Round has a conveniently-placed clock keeping us from seeing Desmond Fish-man's Fish-thing.
- In The Order of the Stick, when V gets balefully polymorphed into a lizard; his... her (whatever) clothing falls to the ground. Later, after being returned to normal, he/she has to get dressed again. Fortunately, modesty was maintained (and any indication of V's sex obfuscated) with a handy Black Dragon's tail to stand behind.
- The sound effects protect the modesty of undressed characters in Exiern, especially when the costumes don't. However, the uncensored strips are available in the Paid Members area.
- Angora of The Meek spends the first chapter naked. Conveniently placed props and limbs cover her nether regions, but her nipples are often showing. Needless to say, this webcomic is NSFW.
- Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures :
- Done in Ansem Retort: Axel is only shown from the waist up and declares that "PANTS ARE FOR THE WEAK!"
- Played straight in one strip of Zap!, although the robot's head, which is normally straight, isn't here, leading to speculation in the comments about the curvature of the object concealed.
- In this Sandra and Woo strip, Woo's naughty thoughts are (partially) censored with shrubbery.
- Monstar and Bunnee try to find out if the new iPad can handle "Flash" applications.
- Used straight several times in The Whiteboard.
- Characters from Intragalactic got manuals on this. Also played with in the adjacent pages and eventually subverted when the man's nipples are covered, but not the woman's.
- In El Goonish Shive, this is due to Grace's views on casual nudity, and a lack of Magic Pants.
- Something Positive: Kharisma, in this strip.
- In one strip of A Doemain of Her Own, it's something of a running gag that a male character's genitalia are hidden by objects being handed between other characters, all of them with some kind of phallic suggestion in their shape.
- Early in Applegeeks, we have this. Note the label on the can.
- Blade Bunny feels no compulsion to cover up after waking up in a room with a stranger. That stranger has no desire to see Bunny's naked body and blocks her own line of sight, coincidentally blocking the reader's as well.
- The Cyantian Chronicles:
- Syrys spends much of Genoworks Saga taking advantage of this. To be fair, he wasn't wearing anything in cryo and we doubt a fox facility would have anything that could fit a seven-foot-tall wolf. And of course his fur and genetic enhancements keep him from freezing.
- Also his nephew Darius during a dream.
- A meta-version in Dresden Codak — a vision of the female protagonist nude overlaps three separate vertical panels, and the panel breaks between them are carefully spaced to serve as Censor Boxes.
- In Rhapsodies whenever Deidre is facing the readers her face is hidden this way.
- Sandra on the Rocks uses lighting effects and speech bubbles as well as small scenery elements to downright comedic effect in this strip, and a precisely-placed steering wheel in this one.
- In one live-action segment of Homestar Runner, all four members of Limozeen appear on a Thanksgiving e-card. There is a conveniently placed turkey in order to hide the fact that one of the members is played by the creator's wife.
- The Napster Bad short "Napster Dead?" has Lars Ulrich, among other people, bathing in a beer-filled bathtub. His naughty bits are perpetually covered with foam.
- The Simpsons:
- In an episode, used to censor a painting Marge had made of Mr. Burns. On the commentary, everyone talks about how much fun they had making those objects as small as possible. Lampshaded at the end of the episode, when Marge and Mr Burns discuss her portrayal of his genitalia and it sounds like neither of them actually saw that bit of the painting (due to the obstructions).
- In another bit, Homer and Marge's nudity is concealed by wind-powered lawn ornaments. When Homer notes that the ornament in front of him is two men sawing a log in half, he asks, "Can we trade? I don't trust these guys."
- In "Call of the Simpsons", Homer and Bart wind up naked after falling from a waterfall. After finding each other, Homer finds out his clothes are missing as he walks out into the open and a conveniently placed bird's nest covers his crotch.
- In "The Girl Who Slept Too Little" (the season 17 episode where Lisa faces her fear of sleeping next to a graveyard), Chief Wiggum somehow ends up naked in the graveyard next to the Simpsons' house and staggers away listening to music on a Walkman while a strategically placed patch of fog covers his butt (The Simpsons used to allow bare butts to be shown, but the FOX censors have since cracked down on this, which is kinda stupid considering one of the other episodes they did centered on Marge posing naked for a charity calendar, though that was toned down considerably too).
- Avatar: The Last Airbender :
- The scene of Katara bathing on screen, using water and Godiva Hair.
- There was also an earlier episode where Zuko tells Iroh to get out of a hotspring, but when he comes out, a visibly Squicked Zuko cringes while our view is blocked by the same hand he's using and he tells Iroh to go back in.
- Alluded to in the quite-well-done Abridged Series by GanXingba:
Iroh: Zuko, you shmuck, it's 5 o'clock. What happens at 5 o'clock?
Zuko: Naked Iroh Time...
Iroh: And what is the one rule about Naked Iroh Time?
Zuko: "Don't interrupt Naked Iroh Time!"
Iroh: You're damn right. Now get your tuchus out of here before I kick it!
Zuko: (moans) Now I'm scarred physically and mentally.
- Lampshaded in Tex Avery's The Shooting of Dan McGoo: the bartender, strategically positioned in front of a nude painting, announces, "I don't move from here all through the picture." When a fight breaks out, though, he ducks behind the bar — revealing that the woman in the picture is missing everything from chest to mid-thigh. (In its place she holds a sign reading "I ain't got no body.")
- Lampshaded in Sheep in the Big City, in which General Specific changes his uniform while walking past a box, which is labeled "RANDOM BOX" in flashing neon lights.
- Happens in Dexter's Laboratory when Dee-Dee begins her morning routine. She begins singing a song and proceeds to undress, then starts to exit her room. She then stands behind a plant, obscuring her body, as she sings "Oops, I forgot that I'm naked."
- In the King of the Hill episode "Naked Ambition", Bobby accidentally catches Luanne nude while she is changing out of her swimsuit. His head pretty much obscures any view of Luanne's frontal nudity.
- The Spectacular Spider-Man: Flint Marko is depicted as nude when he serves as an experimental subject. He is mostly shown from the waist up, but anything lower is obscured by someone standing in front of him, the glare of a pane of glass, or the process of his transformation. After he becomes the Sandman, his lower half initially remains a shapeless mass, until we cut to him maintaining human form, complete with manifested clothes.
- SpongeBob SquarePants:
- An unusual case of this when SpongeBob decides to shirk clothing and return to nature. Various objects cover the lower part of his body, as usual, but proceed to cover less and less over the course of the episode, until it becomes clear that there's really nothing there to cover.
- In another episode, Squidward goes crazy while he's taking a bath and runs to the Krusty Krab with bubbles covering him. Eventually, he looks down and we see a close up shot of the area directly above his legs, and all the bubbles pop except one. SpongeBob gives him his pants to save him from being completely nude. However, the Fridge Logic comes in when you realize that Squidward never wears pants anyway...
- In another episode, Squidward rips off his Kuddly Krabs uniform and a policefish instantly appears and puts a ticket right where you'd expect only, once again, Squidward never wears pants anyway...
- Again pulled off inconsistently in a late episode, this time with Sandy. Sandy sheds her pelt in order to take a shower and Plankton takes it in order to disguise himself. Sandy is very clearly wearing her regular bikini throughout, but the framing and object placement (and various characters) occasionally seem to think that she isn't.
- Also seen in the Employee of the Month PC game. Mr. Krabs can be found in Barg'N-Mart selling some old junk, completely naked because he sold his clothes to a fish. It's unlikely his 3D model has anything to hide, but his crotch is nonetheless covered by a pile of cans in the foreground. You can also examine the cans, which the game refers to as "strategically-placed"
- At the beginning of Justice League, when Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) steals the Amazonian armor that becomes her costume, she takes off a cloak and judging from what is seen, appears to be wearing nothing as she proceeds to put the armor on. Which is a reference to the scene in Heavy Metal where the female warrior armors up in pretty much the same fashion.
- The climax of the second season finale of Justice League Unlimited (making it the fourth Justice League finale overall) ends with Luthor left lying on the ground naked, with his naughty bits just barely blocked off by Flash's legs. (This soon makes for an odd scheme where Supes almost strangles a naked Luthor.)
- Superman: The Animated Series:
- After Supergirl is seriously injured both by a brainwashed Superman and soldiers armed with Kryptonite guns. When she's brought to Star Labs for medical treatment... hello conveniently positioned medical equipment.
- Same thing later happens to Galatea. And considering Galatea is basically the DCAU version of Power Girl...
- There is an episode of The Weekenders where they went to see the Venus de Milo. Of course, they only showed its head at the beginning. When the camera finally zoomed out, guess what was obscured by a conveniently placed plant.
- One Danny Phantom episode had Vlad hiding his nudity behind an armchair and another has him using a towel to cover up in the shower after Danny turned his bathroom wall invisible and the whole world saw the poor Vlad.
- Home Movies: Mc Guirk is given a kilt, which brings out his suppressed passion for Highland dancing — then a leg cramp sprawls him out on the ground, to the horror of everyone getting a full view.
- Good Vibes: in scenes where Mondo is naked, his fat belly is enough to cover him.
- Happens in episode 14 of the second season of Wakfu. The gang visits an inn with a bathhouse, and a rubber duck in the girl's bath with smuggest fucking smirk ever blocks the girls just in time in every shot.
- Sally Lou's breasts are covered by Snafu's letter in the Private Snafu cartoon "Censored".
- Many companies object to visible tattoos, although their popularity is steadily rising. In many cases where clothing is insufficient to conceal a tattoo, bandages are liberally applied.
- Many wedding websites sell tattoo cover-up kits for those who want to permanently mark their bodies and express themselves... except for one day, when they are generally expected to look like princesses.
- Thanks to the unfortunate implications of having a tattoo in Japan, many public hot springs and bathhouses take this to an amusing extreme. Once you're in the right bathing area, you can strut around as naked as a jaybird, without even worrying about a Modesty Towel... but there had better be a bandaid over that tattoo, or you'll be asked to leave.