"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine."
: Wow, look at all the phallic imagery! (montage of monsters growing horns, getting existing horns enlarged, and a knight with a long hard cold lance) Joey
: What're you talkin' about, Téa? There ain't anything remotely suggestive about this duel! Yami
: Now watch as my mighty lance penetrates your moist cocoon!
Visual counterpart to Innocent Innuendo
. Someone does something that is innocent on the surface, but can have very dirty connotations.
It generally has several common forms:
See food examples under Erotic Eating
. If done without
the innuendo, then it's often a case of Scenery Censor
Once again, Freud Was Right
. The source of most supposed (and very few literal) attempts of Getting Crap Past the Radar
open/close all folders
- There was an Alitalia poster on bus stops in New York for a while that showed a closeup of a woman suggestively eating a cannoli
- Jerry's Subs & Pizza has a commercial that shows a woman suggestively eating a sub.
Anime And Manga
- But right then, Kei sees that a wanted criminal who she has a grudge against is boarding the train, and runs off in pursuit.
- Who could forget this infamous scene from Pink Floyd's The Wall?
- The film The Thief and the Cobbler includes a scene where the thief steals some balls, and hides them in his clothes.
- The Wallace & Gromit movie has Totty standing behind two chest-height watermelons, just as she says that her suitor has never taken interest in her produce. A similar sight gag happens when one woman holds up two bitten brassicas (a sort of cabbage) which have been "ravaged in the night."
- Not to mention a naked Wallace in a box with the words "May Contain Nuts" on it.
- Kronk's New Groove features a scene where he and his love interest bake bread, which turns into an extended dance sequence. Which includes a shot of Kronk behind Miss Birdwell and... um... helping her knead bread dough.
Film (Live Action)
- The Old Spaghetti Factory serves the Meat Lover's Treat: a plate of spaghetti with Sicilian meatballs and a whole Italian sausage.
- Several French restaurants have independently invented a dessert called Rêve de jeune fille ("young woman's dream"). It's made up of two spherical scoops of vanilla ice cream with a peeled banana standing right between the two. For additional naughtiness, serve with cream on top of the banana. For additional naughtiness, serve without a spoon.
- Terry Pratchett does this with landscape in Lords And Ladies. At one point, Nanny Ogg and Casanunda have to visit the Long Man, three large burial mounds in the forest. One long with two round ones at one end.
- It also gets one of the heaviest lampshades possible.
- A Wizard's staff has a knob on the end.
- In Unseen Academicals, Glenda points out to the wizards that with the placement of two large letter U's on their uniforms, they'll "look like they've got bosoms!"
Live Action TV
- Selfie: In "Un-Tag My Heart" Eliza tries to invoke this when she thinks her casual sex buddy is looking at her by sucking on a pen. Henry, standing next to her, points out how toxic that is.
- The Whedonverse has a lot of these. The stake in Hush, Wesley's arm-blades in Spin The Bottle, and Buffy (hilariously) crushing Warren's *ahem* magic orbs.
- In the episode when Buffy discovers her post-Angel rebound guy Riley at the vamphouse, the scene opens with him and a female vampire kneeling before him, shot at an angle (and with sound effects) that makes it unclear just what she is sucking, but that there is definitely sucking going on. Then the camera pans around to show that it's just blood from his arm.
- Not to mention Buffy's erotic dream in the Season eight comics, where she's in between Angel and Spike and all around them are gushing volcanoes, trains entering tunnels, stakes, flowers.. you name it that panel had it.
- An accidental version occurred in the third season of the UK version of The Apprentice, where one of the contestants had to sell a trampoline on a shopping channel. It might be a bit NSFW.
- In one of the episodes of Samantha Who, the title character (who has experienced amnesia) is trying to remember what sex is like and the next scene shows her boyfriend repeatedly putting a pencil into a mechanical sharpener.
- In The Stand, Larry is trying to get some gas and gets Nadine to help put a hose into the floor as they talk about how Joe needed a surrogate father as well as Nadine. They feel very awkward as they realize the symbolism here.
- An episode of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps featured Jonny polishing a long, thin pepper grinder in a very... suggestive manner, without quite realising he was doing it.
- In Robin Hood, Little John totes around a large staff, and in the episode Treasure of the Nation, meets one of the Queen's bodyguards, who has an even bigger staff, with a large wooden knob at the end of it. Little John spends a good part of the episode eyeing it nervously.
- The Benny Hill Show has several sketches where Benny is a gardener watering plants with a hose held up at crotch level. It's placed so that you don't see the hose at first, just the water coming out.
- A frequently-run ad for Andromeda has Dylan Hunt using a force lance, a laser-flashlight that expands into a six-foot staff. He holds it right at crotch level, in profile, and lets it grow. Seriously, I'm amazed it even got on the air in prime time, let alone run all day when kids could see it.
- The Media Watchdogs descended upon the Super Bowl XLI halftime show, when Prince played his guitar (shaped to look like his symbol) behind a drape in silhouette, making it look as if the neck is...well...and oh, yeah, a piece of the body stuck out below the neck to look like...oh my.
- It's Prince. The man could do his taxes with an abbacus and make it look sexual.
- In Life On Mars, Gene and Sam are visiting a comatose girl in the hospital when they start a fight. They whale on each other for a bit, and then the camera cuts to them sprawled on the floor at the end of the bed, slightly the worse for wear, breathing heavily, and with Gene smoking a cigarette as they have a heart-to-heart conversation.
- In Glee, when Emma is singing about how she could have "done a thousand things I've never done before", there's a close-up of a pearl necklace. For those who don't know, it's a slang for when a man ejaculates semen around the other's neck.
- The Popsicle Twins on The Gong Show.
- The music video for Devo's "That's Good" has a bluescreen background that, on occasion, shows a french fry going into the hole in a donut, followed a naked woman from the shoulders up writhing in ecstasy. It's...fairly unsubtle. (Then the fries start breaking as they go in, and the woman begins looking downwards with a sigh of frustration...) MTV refused to air the video before either the french fry or the donut was removed.
- Queens of the Stone Age's "Go with the Flow" video has lots of visual innuendo tucked behind the more overt examples.
- The animated Music Video for Tobuscus's I CAN SWING MY SWORD! at timestamp 0:33. Doesn't help that his eyes are bugging out either.
- Softcore pornography will often feature a woman with a string of pearls around her neck, or entertaining a cat, or...
- Exterminatus Now has one strip early on where a beam sword (think lightsaber) is held in front of one guy's crotch and activated, as two demons shapeshifted into scantily clad women make out in front of him.
- Homestuck: When Jake kisses Dirk's head, there is a volcano erupting rather dramatically in the background. In contrast, Rose and Kanaya share their first on-screen kiss while standing in a long, dark tunnel. Yeah.
- Superdickery.com has an entire gallery of such things, starting here.
- In Chapter 10, Act 2 of the web animation series Broken Saints, when Sandra talks about wanting to do field work at a naval base with hunky sailors, a little animation features her moving her pencil to and from her lips. It's not much, but its been confirmed by Word of God to be intentional.
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - in one Dwemer ruin, under a bed there is a Lost Technology tube, some oil, and a few piles of ash...
- To clarify, the ash piles are the Dwemer themselves. They all died rather...suddenly.
- Skyrim adds Haelga to this list of... *ahem* yeah. In her bedroom, there are manacles above the bed, stamina potions in the shelves, leather strips on a table, a copy of the Rated X play script for "The Lusty Argonian Maiden" on a nearby nightstand... Bethesda one-upped themselves this time.
- In Snatcher, Gillian sees an underage girl in his apartment, using his shower. She freaks out and sprays him with her showerhead. He spends the next scene looking damp, flushed and shocked with fluid dripping down his face.
- In No More Heroes, the main character Travis recharges his Beam Katana by shaking it. But, the behind the back camera makes it look suspiciously like something else...
- The Grand Theft Auto games... for example, practically any bowling-alley you can find, will have a sign prominently featuring two bowling-balls and a pin.
- Metal Gear Solid: Vamp licking Raiden's white blood off of his crotch knife.