Where a person's virginity or absence thereof can be confirmed by some sort of sign or symbol immediately visible on them (that is to say, definitely not requiring a gynecological examination note ). This can work through magic, Applied Phlebotinum, or simply social convention. Compare Did You Just Have Sex?, Nerds Are Virgins (nerdiness as a Virginity Flag), Sex Dressed, Virginity Makes You Stupid, Virgin Power, Virgin Vision (the unjustified form of this). Sometimes, this can be faked with a Consummation Counterfeit, as when the MacGuffin is a bloodstain on the sheets.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Everyone in the world of Loveless has kitty ears and a tail that fall off when they lose their virginity. This connection is conveyed through social cues within the story, and exactly what point defines 'the outer border of virginity' is never really defined. For all the sexually charged atmosphere, the lead is a twelve-year-old boy. A grown woman with ears is teased about still having hers, and having already lost their ears is a sign of some enemy characters' pitiful depravity, but the wider social implications, for example in high school or religious orders, aren't explored, with the most it's addressed being one female high school age character having fake ears that she wears in public.
- Hellsing: Played with. When a vampire fatally drains an opposite-sex human and that human is a virgin, s/he also becomes a vampire. If not, s/he becomes a ghoul. While this makes it easy to tell which opposite-sex victims were virgins or not after the fact, most vampires can't tell which humans are virgins or not before they drink. This leads to some vampires who don't want to sire children (like the starter villain) personally ensuring that their meal is a non-virgin before drinking.
- The song in Pod People has an audio technician wearing a shirt that reads "I'm a Virgin".
- Parodied in the MST3K bit from the same episode, where TV's Frank wears a similar shirt.
- In Teeth, Dawn wears handmade t-shirt proclaiming abstinence and a purity ring.
- In The 40-Year-Old Virgin, this is first subverted and then played straight. At first, nobody realizes that the main character is a virgin. On the other hand, the daughter of his primary love interest can tell he's a virgin, somehow having gained the ability to spot anyone's virginity flag simply by virtue of spending her high school days with sexed-up teenage boys.
- In the SF shared world of Medea, the resident alien females lose a pair of legs after having sex.
- In Madeleine L'Engle's Many Waters, only "innocents" can ride unicorns. (Otherwise, they disappear.)
- In 1984, a scarlet sash is the emblem of the Junior Anti-Sex League, which advocates celibacy.
- Invoked by The Protagonist who wears it has slept with plenty of men, and simply wears it to act like the good patriotic Party member
- In Mercedes Lackey's Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, unicorns act as living 'virgin detectors.' Beautiful, beautiful, brainless virgin detectors... This can cause some issues when one does not want their virginity (or gender for that matter) known.
- In The Bible, after King David's daughter Tamar is raped by her half-brother Amnon, the poor girl tears her garment that was reserved for the King's virgin daughters. Her full brother Absolom immediately realizes what happened when he sees her, and it does NOT end well for Amnon.
- The thranx of the Humanx Commonwealth look a lot like giant praying mantids. Unlike praying mantids, male thranx only lose their vestigial wings the first time they have sex.
- Song at Dawn It is customary for a bride to wear her hair up after consumating her marriage (i.e. lossing her virginity.) Estela doesn't do it after her marriage because John isn't interested in doing it with her. Instead, she does it after a traumatic experience with a stable hand that she doesn't want to admit to herself was a mistake.
- In the Black Company short story Tides Elba, the city's religion the company is stationed in includes that women permanently shave off all the hair below their neckline after losing their virginity. The Black Company being a mercenary outfit full of men with too much time on their hands, this gets discussed at length.
Live Action TV
- In the fourth series of Misfits, there's a minor character who has the power to make the number of sexual partners a person has had appear on that person's forehead. How the power defines sex for this purpose is not specified. Judging from the effect on characters with known sexual histories, receiving oral sex apparently doesn't count.
- In Me and My Dick, the virginal Sally's Miss Cooter wears a flower prominently.