"In the era in which this fight took place, turning a man's junk into cube steak was technically allowed in MMA rules. The referee practically had a nervous breakdown as he struggled against his instincts to stop this inhuman basket strangling. There was so much testicle damage being done that 20 years in the future, The Pedro's son was shrieking at his own hand while he faded from existence. The crowd booed and whistled and sometimes threw garbage because no one could agree on the proper social etiquette for watching a man legally kill a penis."Commonly used in comedy series/movies, this is any instance where other male characters seem to sympathetically feel it whenever another male character has found himself to be the victim of a Groin Attack. Usually complimented by a loud groan and the cradling of their testicles, as if they had been hit there themselves. If the one delivering the kicks is an Action Girl, Tsundere or all of the above, part of the reaction probably comes from wondering if they're next. Like Groin Attack, this is rarely applied to females in pain except comedically, but there are a few exceptions. The closest female equivalent is for mothers to wince during scenes of other women giving birth. Contrast Instant Soprano, in which it's the victim of the Groin Attack whose reaction emphasizes its painfulness. Related to the same emotions present in Eye Scream. The Animals Fear Neutering trope is, in part, a byproduct of this one.
open/close all folders
- This Whiskey commercial lampshades the fact that, like Whiskey itself, getting hoofed in the nuts is something well understood by different cultures.
Anime & Manga
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, when the Dai-Gurren is attacked in its crotch, all men (except Leeron) do this trope.
- In Slayers Next Lina gets cursed to feel all the pain she inflicts on others; naturally, Xellos gets her to invoke this trope in the course of the explanation.
- In One Piece upon seeing Franky subjected to severe testicular torture at the "hands" of Nico Robin to convince him to join the crew, Chopper immediately breaks out in screams of painful protest while Luffy starts yelling at Robin to stop (Zoro and Sanji are not present). Even Nami finds it in herself to speak up about the poor man's agony. Even members of the crowd, including one or two women, who had earlier yelled at Franky to Please Put Some Clothes On, found this to be just a little much. Frankie calls them on it.
Frankie: You ain't got a clue how this feels.
- An earlier case happened during Luffy's fight against Don Krieg. When Luffy punches his hand through a spiked cape to hit Don Krieg, several of the Baratie's chefs clutch their hands and cringe.
- Probably the audience felt the pain when the anime gave Robin's grab move a quintuple take.
- Occurs during a manga episode of Ranma ½ when Akane and Shampoo are trying to get Ranma to be their partner through an obstacle course. Shampoo grabs one leg and starts dragging, Akane grabs the other and starts dragging... until the hallway splits and Ranma gets slammed against the corner in a most unfortunate position. Mousse, a romantic rival who hates Ranma and has been more or less trying to kill him all series, winces and remarks that even he wouldn't have wished that on Ranma.
- In one episode of Crayon Shin-chan, Misae and Shinnosuke switch bodies. So as Misae (in Shin's body) chases after Shin to get him to stop doing weird stuff in her body, she accidentally trips against a short table, and of course, hits herself in the nads. Then she screams in pain and wails, "Why didn't you guys tell me it hurt this badly!? Oh God, I never knew! I've never KNOWN a pain this bad! Well, except for wracking period cramps for two out of five days in a month, and popping out two kids out of the (beep) after several excruciating hours and (more examples) and...!!"
- In MÄR, the men in the public do this when Jack gets defeated with a Groin Attack by Pano in their first match.
- Black Lagoon Lovelace maid (and protege to the Bloodhound of Florencia A.K.A. Roberta) Fabiola Iglesias comes to the Yellow Flag. A Too Dumb to Live cartel gangster grabs her by the collar and she proceeds to reverse-kick him in the groin. With a heel blade. The entire bar winces.
- During a fight in Change 123, Motoko (at that moment Hibiki) jumps into a fight with a Yakuza member by stepping on his sword, which flips around and slices him right in his...man area. All the other yakuza, the group leader, Kousukegawa, and Motoko's own adoptive father (and by now, probably you) all grimace, and chastise her for the move.
- During episode 6 of Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!, Momoyo and the girls demonstrate the proper way to erotically eat a mushroom shaped lolipop at a festival. Every male in the vicinity is totally mesmerized...and then they all aggressively bite the heads off the treats, causing every one of them to collapse in pain.
- In Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva Emmy Altava uses a groin attack on one of Descole's troops. Clamp Grosky sees this and proceeds to hold his groin.
- In episode 2 of Onegai My Melody, the Monster of the Week gets bitten on the crotch by a mouse. While the girls laugh, the guys are horrified.
- Episode 10 of Gundam Build Fighters Try has Mirai unleashing a Jigen Haoh-style Shoryuken on an opponent's Gunpla. Since she's using the Petitgguy (a baby-sized Beargguy) against a Turn A Gundam, the attack strikes it squarely in the cockpit region, which causes every single male in attendance to clutch themselves and go white with shock.
- In the first episode of Haiyore! Nyarko-san, Mahiro covers himself and shudders when Nyarko Rider Kicks a Nightgaunt below the belt.
- This is what happens when a Japanese comedy troupe takes the concept and runs with it. How good are you at tongue twisters?
- In the Iron Man fanfic Let's Dance Buttercup, Tony accidentally kicks Captain America in the nuts and every man promptly wince at the pain.
- In With Strings Attached, when As'taris slices off the penis-sword of the living statue he's battling, the four wince as one.
- Shirou in his Rage Against the Heavens rant in The Hill of Swords.
Shirou: I've decided that I shall slaughter the innocent. I shall murder all who stand in my way, sparing none, until my name is synonymous with fear itself, thus cementing my status as an Anti-Hero. Then, once my reign of terror is finally ended, I shall wait patiently at the Throne of Heroes for however how long it takes until one of the infinite realities that exist that still performs the ritual of the Holy Grail War summons me forth. Then, I shall resume killing all around me until my bloodstained hands hold the Holy Grail itself. Once I have the all-powerful artifact, I shall use it to force the Root of the World, the wellspring of all creation, to assume a human male form in my presence. And then I'm going to kick it in the balls so hard that all of reality will simultaneously feel it.
- In A Frog in Arkham Asylum, Jackie feels some sympathy for Drago after an accidental Groin Attack by Jade.
- Near the end of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic A Voice Among the Strangers, a goat is munching on a pillow, angering the owner of said pillow. We never get to see what the goat experiences, but at the end of the train ride the goat is clearly in… distress. The guard stallion, looking over the token human Jessica, moves his hind legs together a bit more than usual. Jessica is confused by the action.
- In A Father's Wrath The entire male half of the audience at The Chunin Exams exchange sympathy winces after Shikamaru suffers a Groin Attack at the end of his match.
- An Inversion of this can be found in the comments for a lemon fic that involved molten gold being used as lubricant.
"Ow my penis! I don't even HAVE a penis, but OW! MY PENIS!!"
- In the Bleach / RWBY crossover Soul Hunter, everybody cringes in sympathy when Cardin kicks Jaune below the belt. Even Hollow Ichigo, who comments that as much as he enjoys kicking people's asses and being a Combat Pragmatist, he would never do that to another man.
Films — Live-Action
- In She's the Man, the entire soccer team reacts in this form when Amanda Bynes' character is hit in the crotch with a soccer ball. Bynes (who is impersonating a guy) reacts last after seeing the other guys do it.
- Hot Shots! Part Deux has this trope to the nines. Spoofing on Blood Sport, Charlie Sheen's character and his opponent rush at each other and collide, with the implication being that they drove their knees into each other's tender spots. The crowd winces en masse before cutting back to the opponent's face, whose cheeks are puffed out... before spitting out two walnuts and saying "You Win" in falsetto and falling backwards.
- In Bananas, Fielding Melish cringes at the mention of the word "Castration."
- In Clue, when Mrs. White mentions what besides her husband's head was cut off, the seated men cross their legs protectively.
- In Spaceballs, the bridge crew of Spaceball One have come to learn the hard way what pissing off Dark Helmet means. When he insists that nobody saw his latest faux pas, they all cover up in anticipatory terror.
Dark Helmet: I always drink coffee when I watch radar! [...] Everybody knows that!
Crew: Of course we do, sir!
- Curiously averted in Idiocracy, where the incredibly popular Show Within a Show "Ow, My Balls" features a man continuously taking blows to the crotch. Everyone thinks the show is hilarious, and his fans even pay "tribute" when he's making public appearances. Perhaps the people of the future are too dumb to recognize sympathy?
- In Kick-Ass 2, Colonel Stars and Stripes demonstrates his dog Eisenhower's training to bite people's dicks on command. Kick-Ass gasps and covers himself.
- In Krippendorf's Tribe, both male and female audience members respond like this to video footage of a (faked) circumcision ritual.
- Z-grade horror Hell's Highway features Ron Jeremy (yes, the Ron Jeremy) being castrated by the devil, except he doesn't even notice for a while, and when he does, he crashes into a gas station that then explodes. The ridiculousness makes it less painful but still, what a way to die.
- In Pulp Fiction, Marsellus Wallace tells Butch to "step aside" and proceeds to fire a round of buckshot into Zed's crotch. Butch awkwardly covers his genitals while looking on.
- In the film Real Steel, Midas delivers a Groin Attack to Noisy Boy. Since both are non-sentient robots operated by humans with controllers, Noisy Boy feels no pain. However, the males in the audience visibly wince when this happens. Like Real Life boxing, it's implied that this move would have been illegal in an official match.
- Early in You Don't Mess with the Zohan, the titular character (a Badass Israeli) and his Palestinian archnemesis The Phantom are engaged in a Feel No Pain contest. The Phantom grabs a piranha and sticks it to his cheek, while smiling. Zohan grabs the piranha and drops it down his shorts and looking nonchalant as it does its thing in there. The Phantom, meanwhile, is visibly pained looking at this.
- The infamous scene in There's Something About Mary where Ben Stiller tries to zip up too quickly and gets stuck. This is the reaction of every man that sees the predicament he got himself in - until it gives way to No Sympathy and What an Idiot for managing to get the zipper all the way to the top.
- In Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment, main character Polly, who is pretending to be male to get into the army, gets bitten in the crotch by her lieutenant's horse. She's not hurt, since all she keeps down there is a rolled-up pair of socks, but her lieutenant faints. He almost does so again immediately after, when he comes to and and asks her if she's all right. She cheerfully replies "Oh, it'll just need a few stitches," meaning her trousers.
- In A Civil Campaign, Lord Dono (who was Lady Donna prior to the sex change) invokes the trope retroactively after having been kicked there himself.
"Ivan, all those time I laughed at you or your friends when you were playing and got hit between the legs... I am so, so sorry."
- In Varley's Gaea Trilogy, Robin the witch was raised in an all-female space colony. After having ignorantly inflicted a Groin Attack on a male companion, and witnessed the results, she spends the rest of the day marveling that he doesn't keep his hands over his groin all the time, to protect his vulnerable privates.
- In Moon Over Soho, when Stephanopolis calls Peter to the scene of a Vagina Dentata killing, he muses that she didn't give him a hard time because she was impressed he hadn't retreated from the room, whimpering from the sight of its literally dis-membered victim.
- Aside from playing this straight after a number of Groin Attack scenes, Simon R. Green has employed this trope at least twice when male characters in his Urban Fantasy series, inspecting an array of exotic gourmet foods, have cringed away from the sight of a roasted pachyderm penis being sliced up and served. (It was elephant in the Nightside series, mammoth in Secret Histories.)
- In an episode of Frasier, Eddie the dog is taken to the vet to be neutered. Frasier, Niles, and Martin are seen crossing their legs in response to the operation.
Frasier: A guy should never have do that to another guy.
Martin: Amen to that.
- Referenced and explained in the Red Dwarf episode "Legion", where the titular Legion explains that any pain he feels is conveyed to the rest of the crew. He stabs his hand to show them and then tells them not to anger him, or "it'll be there".
- Lampshaded in America's Funniest Home Videos, during the Daisy Fuentes season, where she gives a little speech about the three primary audience reactions to the videos — this trope, the usual LOL, and 'What Were They Thinking'.
- In the Animal Planet series Pit Bulls and Parolees the parolees working at a pit bull rescue center are brought along to a neuter and spay clinic for the dogs and watch a dog get neutered. Their expressions alone constitute a Crowning Moment of Funny as you can tell they're thinking this trope.
- Dirty Jobs:
- Similar moments have been seen on the show, most notably when Mike had to assist in castrating a horse.
- Another instance is when Mike was assisting a family of goat farmers castrate the young male goats they didn't want reproducing. WITH. THEIR. TEETH. The goat farmers then had to spend the next five minutes (likely much, much longer was left out of the episode) trying to convince Mike this was very standard procedure for all goat farmers and that they were not raving sociopaths.
- In an episode of Designing Women, Anthony recommends that a woman being assaulted by a man should execute a Groin Attack against the nearest male even if he's not the attacker, because this trope will come into play.
- It's frequent on TruTV's World's Dumbest... for male commentators to be shown wincing, cupping themselves, or otherwise expressing this trope in response to clips showing groin injuries (self-inflicted or otherwise), and not unusual for female commentators to at least verbally express sympathy pains of their own. For example. The first guy to comment even lampshades the trope directly.
Judy Gold: I don't have balls, and my balls hurt.
- Averted in one episode of MythBusters, when the camera cuts from Tory reacting to a groin impact to Grant laughing his head off, with no apparent sympathy. Considering how often Tory is a victim of a groin impact himself, he could probably be forgiven for being amused when it finally happens to someone else for a change.
- Backup: When a dog bites a child abuser in the groin even the intended victim's father feels some sympathy.
- In one episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway?, during the Newsflash game, wait for it...
- Invoked in CSI, the episode "Ending Happy". Doc Robbins has an autospy under way and is explaining some things to Warrick and possibly Catherine. Doc wants to examine the guy's privates because they were enlarged, and Warrick asks Doc to wait until he leaves the room.
- There's also a sympathy female pain version where Catherine explains about what parts of the vagina get damaged during consensual sex vs. nonconsensual sex and the (male) cops this exposition gets dumped on express discomfort, though from Catherine's reaction she seems to think the men were merely Squicked out by Too Much Information.
- On How I Met Your Mother, when Quinn suggests putting a shock collar on little Barney, all the men in the room wince and cross their legs.
- Averted in one Cold Opening of The Office (US), in which Dwight dumps a mug of hot coffee on his crotch due to trying to pick it up with his feet. Only Pam and Phyllis are shown to wince in sympathy.
- In The Wonder Years, when Kevin has to explain that the family dog has to be neutered, both Jack and Wayne cross their legs simultaneously.
- After Rick Santorum compares contraception laws to the French Revolution, Colbert of The Colbert Report pulls out a banana, puts a condom on the banana, then pulls out a miniature guillotine. When the blade comes down the entire audience screams. One male audience member even shouts "No!" before he drops the blade.
- L.A. Law had a case involving a rabbi who nicked a baby boy's penis while performing a bris, leaving a scar. When the case was discussed at the meeting at the beginning of the episode, the male lawyers all winced.
- Happens in NCIS: Los Angeles when Deeks is shocked at the Groin Attack that Kensi launches against a foreign operative. He then shocks Callen and Sam when he relates what happened.
Kensi: So what? It would've been better if I'd pistol-whipped him across the face?
Everyone Else: Yes!
- Done mockingly by Paul London, who tends to bend over after his Manhattan drops.
- While The Boys had spent most of their night braving the harrassment of Taeler Hendrix to support Dalton Castle, they tried to ease the pain of Frankie Kazarian on Supercard Of Honor X, night one, after he caused a chain of events that caused every other participant in the six way scramble match to be hit in the crotch and thus got three feet in his groin as they all rushed to give him retribution.
- The unofficial Dungeons & Dragons sourcebook The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge has rules for a called shot to the nuts: every male within visual range must make a Fortitude save or be disabled briefly as they reflexively wince and cover their groin.
- Ogres in the Warhammer universe have a similar reaction to disembowelment. Simple reason is that their gut is so huge that any Ogre who has it happen to them invariably dies a drawn-out, messy, and agonizing death. Ogres are immoral, cannibalistic bastards, though, so don't feel too much sympathy for them.
- In the play Sheik, Rattle and Roll, there is a scene set in the harem where the thieves, the harem girls and the eunuchs all reveal that they are members of Weird Trade Unions. They immediately exchange cards for the Amalgamated Thieves and Rogues union, the Amalgamated Harem Girls and Dockers, and the Amalgamated Eunuchs and Bacon Slicers. At this point, every male on stage winces and crosses his leg.
- This happens in Heavenly Sword if Nariko executes a Groin Attack, causing nearby soldiers to fall over crutching their groins.
- When the group is huddled together at the end of Jak X Combat Racing and Ashelin suggests a Groin Attack as a means of dealing with the Big Bad, Sig covers his crotch with his hand.
- Mortal Kombat:
- One Fatality in Mortal Kombat 9 involves Kung Lao sawing his opponent in half from bottom to top with his chainsaw hat. A commercial used to promote this game featured males everywhere reacting to the attack, while a female bystander looked on in surprise.
- Cage's Daughter also inherited this move... as an X-ray finisher. Cue collective crotch-grabbing when it was revealed that the X-ray even shows the nuggets being brutally, brutally crushed.
- In Mass Effect 2, during his loyalty mission Archangel AKA Garrus kicks the bad guy, Fade, in the family jewels. Shepard acknowledges the man's pain, but does not seem to share it. Especially funny with Fem!Shep:
Shepard: (rather cheerfully) That had to hurt.
- Inverted in Questionable Content by a hypothetical.
- Trope Distaff Counterpart: In Keychain of Creation, Misho, piloting a mech, kicks giant robot Cat Girl Nova in the breasts. Cut to Marena and Blossom holding their breasts sympathetically, and Karen looking not too pleased either.
- Captain SNES: The Game Masta, with added My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Alex punches Boogerman in the 'nads and every male sprite in Videoland reacts to it.
- The first monster Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki fights is a giant bull, who she first incapacitates via...well, a hammer to the balls. And immediately sympathizes. "I don't even have them right now, and I can feel that...!"
- Taffe's favorite method of attacking guys in Pacificators. Her sister Larima gives us a nice wince when Taffe takes down the guy threatening Larima.
- In a preview for one of the pornographic "Working Girls" Penny Dreadfuls on Chimneyspeak, an attractive new girl named Gnasher is brought to the brothel, strips naked, and gets examined by Alice. At first, the girl seems perfect, with a gorgeous body and a pretty face. When Alice asks what's the catch, Gnasher gives a sheepish grin... and reveals a mouth full of razor-sharp fangs. A visibly-disturbed Alice remarks...
Alice: I don't even have a dick, and looking at those teeth hurts my dick.
- LoadingReadyRun tried to give Casino Royale (2006) the 'Sympathetic Pain in Film Award', but the presenter was too busy wincing.
- One of the Miss Dynamite webtoons ends with Eva torturing one of the Backstreet Boys tied to a chair by hammering a nail into one of his testicles until it pops. It even has a warning screen come up before the scene and the scene won't play until you press the button to continue.
- In the Whateley Universe, Phase's birthday party in Boston turns into not one, not two, but four separate superhero battles. One has a super-strong girl with goat legs being held hostage by a man in body armor standing behind her. But she's super strong and has goat legs. She kicks him so hard his helmet ends up embedded in the ceiling. Even though it's a battle between armored mercenaries and superpowered mutants, every guy in the room cringes. Even Samantha Everheart, Mega-Girl, and Delta Spike do the cringe, but they all used to be male.
- At the Illinois State Fair of 2011, Brad Jones and several of his friends tried deep fried turkey testicles, crotch grabbing and groans of pain abound with almost every bite.
- Mentioned by Welshy when Jill shoots Trevor in the crotch in his review of Scream 4. He even mentions a male patron that was sitting near him actually screaming during that scene, leading him to believe something similar had happened to the man in real life.
- Cracked article "5 Baffling Uses of Sex Toys That Prove Humanity Is Doomed" features an example of share the female pain when describing number five, where a young couple decided to attach a dildo to a saber saw blade with predictable results.
Did you just make an uncomfortable face when you read that? Yeah. Imagine what her expression was like.
- Any time you hear Nash say Gentlemen, BRACE YOURSELVES. Or, rarely, "Ladies, Brace yourselves." And then, there was that one memorable time when he said "EVERYBODY BRACE YOURSELVES." He's never kidding.
- Judging by the comments, this (NSFW) entry on the Livejournal community Weepingcock for female readers.
- Texts From Last Night is just full of little gems like these from the female side. NSFW.
- "Ike's Wee Wee" counts, given the fact that the South Park boys were concerned about the welfare of Ike's penis.
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law involved an episode where Apache Chief had burned himself with coffee and was suing the coffee company over it due to losing his...er, "growing powers". When he comes to meet Harvey and tell him what happened, Harvey takes a while to understand his plight. Once he does, Harvey instinctively cross his legs.
Harvey: Oh OOOOH hehe, let's all go to the mountains.
- In Total Drama Island episode "Brunch of Disgustingness", the first thing that is served in the titular brunch is beef testicles. This trope is what keeps the guys from even trying.
- African male circumcisions are typically communal affairs, hence sharing the male pain. Speaking of which, there's also female circumcisions in Africa too (ever heard of the musical The Book of Mormon? Girls, you will wince upon listening to "Hasa Diga Eebowai").
- It's a rare case in introductory anatomy classes when the task of dissecting the genitalia of a male specimen isn't delegated to a female student. When a male med student does dare volunteer to undertake such a task, he's usually complimented by his classmates for having nerves of steel.