Series / Pit Bulls and Parolees
Airing on Animal Planet
, Pit Bulls And Parolees
is a documentary about the Villalobos Rescue Center, the largest pit bull rescue in the country, and the parolees it employees. Run by Tia Maria Torres, it chronicles life on the ranch (later in New Orleans) and how her family copes with their chaotic lifestyle.
Contains Examples Of:
- The Atoner: Many, if not most, of the parolees.
- The Big Easy: The series moves to New Orleans after Tia sets up the new rescue facility there. Several previous episodes took place there as well, and it's mentioned that Villalobos helped rescue animals following hurricane Katrina.
- Big, Friendly Dog: Most of the pit bulls, though there are a few former fighting dogs who are "lifers" who are too dangerous to adopt out.
- But Now I Must Go: There have been several times when a parolee has decided to leave and move on, and it's usually bittersweet for Tia. Cameron was one parolee who decided to leave once he finally graduated from high school. He came back after his plans fell through, and Tia welcomed him back with open arms.
- Crossover: Tia's twin sons Kanani and Keli'i made an appearance on Puppy Bowl IX providing Reaction Shot cameos and commentary.
- Tia and Mondo appeared on another Animal Planet series, Dogs 101, in a segment covering pit bulls.
- Dirty Cop: A lot of the law enforcement Tia and the others have to deal with in California are portrayed in this light, to the point that she is immediately wary and untrusting of any law enforcement personnel she comes into contact with. New Orleans seems to be averting this trope, and Tia is subsequently having to learn to trust police again.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: In New Orleans, the first hire was a one-armed man. He insisted on being treated like any other employee and quickly got the hang of the jobs.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: One way to tell the passage of time is to look at what color Mariah's hair currently is, since it's been blonde, black, black with blond streaks and red.
- Meaningful Name: Villalobos means "House of the Wolves" and it was wolf sanctuary before being turned into a pit bull rescue.
- Several dogs rescued by the shelter have been given names related to the location and/or other particulars of their rescue.
- Mr Muffykins: Tania's dog Wedgie, a French Bulldog, described by Tia as the most annoying little dog in L.A., and was at one point used as a test for a dog going to a home with several small dogs.
- Pounds Are Animal Prisons: Thoroughly averted, and doing its best to discredit this idea in the public consciousness.
- Precious Puppy: They're bound to be around sometimes.
- Scary Black Man: Several parolees have seemed to be this, but most turn out to be big softies.
- Share the Male Pain: When the parolees watch a dog get neutered their eyes bug out.
- Single-Minded Twins: Tia's adopted twins Kanani and Keli'i often act like this.
- Special Guest: In one episode, actor Danny Trejo showed up to help Villalobos dig out after a freak snow storm buried the rescue in six feet of snow.
- True Companions: The entire crew.
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: The people in the town where they wanted to build their new rescue, who did everything in their power to stop construction. Unfortunately, they succeeded.