A Frog in Arkham Asylum
is a Jackie Chan Adventures
and Batman: Arkham Asylum Crossover
fanfiction by chaotic9
, and a part of Project Dark Jade
. the author has another Project fic as well: titled Kage
, a crossover with W.I.T.C.H.
Basically, Jade gets stuck with the froglike appearance of the wind demon, is framed for the murder of her family, and is sent to Arkham, where the fight for her sanity has begun.
Official Description: Being stuck as a half frog was bad enough. But to be framed for her family murders is even worse . Locked up in the craziest place on the planet and stuck in the middle of the Dark Knight clash against his insane nemesis, Jade Chan will have to fight to keep her sanity in the one place where she can lose it. Welcome to hell on Earth and enjoy your stay.
- Alternate Universe: Diverging from canon right at the beginning of JCA Season 5, where the fight over the Wind Demon chi goes on just a little too long, leaving it stuck in Jade, and giving Uncle and Tohru time to show up and capture Drago, truncating the season's plotline.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The Joker's gang attacks Uncle's Rare Finds in order to kidnap Jade and her family. And then they blow the building up.
- Baleful Polymorph: Jade has a froglike appearance now.
- Berserk Button: The Joker attacking the Chans enrages Tohru enough that he tries to kill the Joker, but is taken down before he can.
- Big "NO!": See Drago in the second chapter.
- Blow You Away: Jade still has the Wind Demons's Elemental Powers over wind, but can't use them due to a collar that zaps her every time she tries.
- Bullying a Dragon: Apparently guards and inmates alike try and mess with Jade, but end up beaten each time. According to Cash, the last guard who insulted her is currently breathing through a tube.
- Cardboard Prison: Jade lampshades Arkham's status as this, comparing it to Swiss cheese. In fact, she claims that the only reason she hasn't escaped yet is that she doesn't want to (since it would make her look guilty, and she's trying to clear her name). Strange confirms this by saying she's had several chances to escape, but hasn't taken them (and these are only the ones that he knows about).
- Combat Sadomasochist: When Jade pins the Joker to a wall with a wind blast, nearly crushing him, the Joker's only response is to laugh and ask for more. And he's disappointed when Harley saves him.
- Crossover: Between Jackie Chan Adventures and Batman: Arkham Asylum.
- Darker and Edgier: The Project's stories are all darker than canon, but this story is still probably one of the darkest among them (it is currently one of only two M-rated story in the Project). It is also rated higher than Kage, the author's other Dark Jade story.
- Downer Beginning: The story starts with Jade already in Arkham, framed for the murder of her family. The story then shifts to a Flashback form, showing the events leading up to that point as Jade relays them to Strange.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Part this, part Pragmatic Villainy with Strange. He doesn't approve of torturing children, but part of that is the fact that it's not as effective to torture kids as compared to adults, so there's really no point in his mind.
- Frame Up: Jade is in Arkham because her family was murdered by the Joker, who framed her for it in the hopes of invoking a Start of Darkness.
- Groin Attack: Jade does this to Drago during their fight, albeit accidentally.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: Part of the reason Arkham is a Cardboard Prison. Also, some try to take advantage of Jade but end up beaten each time. According to Cash, the last guard who insulted her is currently breathing through a tube.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Drago is specifically stated to be half-demon.
- Jade is technically half-demon as well due her permanently absorbing the wind-demon chi.
- Heroic BSOD: Jade just seems to break when she realizes that the Joker's killed her whole family.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: See Frame Up.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: The Joker uses the racial slur "chinks" when addressing the Chans.
- Red Herring: At first, it looks like Drago has a greater role in the events that caused Jade to end up in Arkham, only for him to be captured again.
- Share the Male Pain: Jackie feels slightly sympathetic for Drago after the above mentioned Groin Attack.
- Shout Out: It may not have been an intentional similarity, but Jade accidentally doing a Groin Attack to Drago is similar to Blankman's (intentional) attempt to do so in Queen Of All Oni (though Jade's was a lot more effective than his).
- Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb: After kidnapping the Chans, the Joker leaves behind a bomb-in-a-box that Section 13 finds just in time to barely escape Uncle's shop before it explodes.
- Swiss Cheese Security: Jade even uses the words "swiss cheese" when she lampshades the Cardboard Prison status of Arkham. In fact, she claims that the only reason she hasn't escaped yet is that she doesn't want to (since it would make her look guilty, and she's trying to clear her name). Strange confirms this by saying she's had several chances to escape, but hasn't taken them (and these are only the ones that he knows about).
- Unfortunate Names: Within Arkham, Jade is also known as "Bloody Froggy".
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Drew posting his video of the fight between Drago and Jade online is what leads to The Joker learning of her existence.