A character catches an anvil with their face
or finds themselves under a piano that has just fallen twenty stories or at the receiving end of the biggest can of whupass ever opened. Count on an observer somewhere piping up with "Oooh! That's gotta hurt!"
A favorite stock phrase indicating a character has absorbed a hit so hard that the people watching it felt the pain. Used in live action, animation, color commentary and frequently in Real Life
. Used especially often following a Groin Attack
Alternate phrases with the same idea are: "That's going to leave a mark!" or "He'll be feeling that in the morning!" This Is Gonna Suck
is the expression of the victim before
open/close all folders
- Calvin & Hobbes: The Series:
- From "The Transmitter Conspiracy Part 1", we get an alien sports commentator saying this:
"AND THE COUNT IS DOWN! OOH, THAT WILL DEFIANTLY
LOOK HORRIBLE IN THE MORNING!"
Live Action TV
- In an episode of Seinfeld, George yelled this out while watching a movie about the Hindenburg, after the vessel exploded, getting a big laugh. His attempts to repeat this are foiled when the audience laughs at the guy who brought a laser pointer to the theatre instead.
- Stephen Fry said it in the "England" episode of QI, in reference to the myth of Prometheus having his liver pecked out by eagles every day. Funnier than normal, just because it's him.
- Angel gets run over by a pick-up truck in "Epiphany". He survives, but we immediately Smash Cut to Gunn examining Cordelia who's been infected by demon spawn yet again. Gunn of course is saying the trope line.
- Erik Stream says it when the player character falls in Backyard Skateboarding.
- Arena matches in the third and fourth Ratchet & Clank games were punctuated with the commentators saying things like "He's gonna feel that tomorrow!"
- One of the stock phrases blurted by the announcer after a player gets a headshot in TimeSplitters.
- Played straight in Duke Nukem 3D: you can sometimes trigger this when you overkill an enemy.
- Several of the Have a Nice Death messages in the Space Quest series had lines like "That had to hurt!" or "Now this is a pain that'll linger!"
- One of the phrases that the commentator in Pokémon Stadium is prone to saying.
- This is one of the quotes that Bug may say when he successfully kills an enemy. "OW! That's gotta hurt!"
- In the multiplayer mode on Conkers Bad Fur Day the squirrel soldiers say this after doing something particularly gruesome to the Tediz.
- Referenced in Donkey Kong Country by DK himself.
Donkey Kong: (groaning) That had to hurt... and it did. [faints]
- In Balto while the title character is fighting Steel, one of the Mooks comments "He'll be feeling that in the morning" when our hero takes a particularly hard hit, to which another says "I think he's feeling it now".
- Often shouted out by Bob Babble whenever a player gets injured in a gross way in Mutant League.
- In Tarzan, when young Tarzan hits his body hard against the water, one of the gorilla comments "That one hurt him."
- Despite being a Maximal, Rattrap couldn't help but comment on Predacon Tarantulus literally getting caught between a rock and a hard place (a cave wall) with these Exact Words.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), the Turtles are forced to fight in Gladiator Games by the Triceratons, while the fight is broadcast by two guys named Zed and Raz. When the Turtles are put up against a huge monster called a Spasmosaur and fool it into crashing head-first into a statue:
Zed: Ooh, that's gotta hurt!
(Statue topples over and crashes on top of the Spasmosaur.)
Raz: No, Zed, that's gotta hurt!
- Taken Up To Eleven in the Total Drama series with the Show Within a Show Total Drama Aftermath that has a montage of these moments appropriately titled "That's Gonna Leave A Mark".