Matthew Mercer is an American voice actor born in Florida. While he mostly voiced extras in anime dubbing, he found more prominence in western animation voice roles and Japanese video game dubs, though as of late, he's been getting more prominent roles in anime slowly. In 2010, he directed and starred in the live-action web original series There Will Be Brawl
, which also featured friends and other voice actors such as Kyle Hebert
Texan counterpart? David Matranga
(which coincidentally enough, both Matthew Mercer and David Matranga worked on Attack on Titan
Notable roles done by Matthew Mercer:
Tropes associated with Matthew Mercer:
- Alliterative Name
- Awesome McCoolname: His name wouldn't be out of place in a comic book.
- Badass: Most of his roles.
- Badass Baritone: A lot of his roles have really deep voices.
- The Cameo: He has one in the Man at Arms episode where the Sword of Omen is forged, and gets to try it out.
- Large Ham: He doesn't actually get to be melodramatic very often, but when he does...
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Boasts an impressive range. In cases of substitution, he's capable of sounding exactly like Troy Baker and even Roger Craig Smith (which makes it extra funny when they get together as the three main protagonists of Resident Evil 6).
- One of Us: Oh so very much. Just go on twitter and comment about a game he was in, and chances are he'll comment exactly with the best thing to say.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: He 's unquestionably the go-to guy for serious and/or sarcastic badasses with deep voices. Bonus points of they're fairly young (a lot of his characters are either teenagers or young men in their twenties) and have troubled pasts.
- Promoted Fanboy: He's a massive fan of Resident Evil, with Leon being his favorite character prior to playing the role of Leon himself.
- Playing with Character Type: Alvin from Tales of Xillia is probably Matt's most diverse role yet, as he starts out as a sarcastic badass until he starts betraying the party and goes through Sanity Slippage.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Increasingly with Sam Riegel. The two have starred together in K, Tales of Xillia, and Fire Emblem Awakening, all within about a year.
- Spiritual Successor: Can easily considered to be Troy Baker successor due to their similar Badass Baritone voices. He even officially took over one of Troy Baker's previous roles (Kanji Tatsumi and Valvatorez) since Troy Baker is now a union-only member and the Persona games are non-union note .
- Star-Making Role:
- While mostly known online for There Will Be Brawl, Matt got a lot of people to know his name thanks to his role as Tygra in the 2011 ThunderCats.
- 2013 easily jumped him up to one of the most noticeable VA's out there as his roles as Chrom in Fire Emblem Awakening, Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero, Kuroh Yatogami from K and Alvin from Tales of Xillia made him shine in most people's eyes.
- And now in 2014 he's been cast as extremely popular characters in both Attack on Titan (Levi) and Kill la Kill (Mikisugi), and he's had a chance to reprise his role as Alvin for the (debatably) Even Better Sequel. If 2013 didn't make him recognizable enough, 2014 will do it for sure.