Anime: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher
is a superhero anime
film released as a joint production between Marvel Comics
and Japanese studio Madhouse
A tie-in to the live-action Captain America: The Winter Soldier
, the movie sees Black Widow
and The Punisher
teaming up to take on the terrorist organization Leviathan, who plan on selling stolen S.H.I.E.L.D.
tech to the highest bidder. Though the film is focused on those two, a few of Black Widow's fellow Avengers
, Iron Man
, War Machine
, the Hulk
, and Captain Marvel
) are confirmed to appear in some capacity.
The film is the most recent collaboration between Marvel and Madhouse, who previously worked together on the Marvel Anime
meta-series and Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
. Not related to Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers
, the Avengers anime Marvel is producing with Toei Animation
- Adaptation Distillation: Like most of Marvel's mass-media productions, the film draws from the Ultimate Marvel and Marvel Cinematic Universe continuities in addition to the classic Earth-616 universe. Nick Fury is once again black, and Hawkeye is wearing his leather Ultimate outfit like his movie counterpart.
- Adorkable: Amadeus Cho.
- Badass Normal: Black Widow and Punisher are, for the most part, normal humans, albeit well trained, highly skilled, and very experienced. This is also why Nick Fury wanted them working together - if they were to be brainwashed, it would be easier to take them down, as opposed to someone like the Hulk.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: When surrounded by the Elite Mooks of Leviathan, what else are Punisher and Black Widow gonna do?
- Big Damn Heroes: The Avengers arrive just in time for the final showdown.
- Blood from the Mouth: How Starr dies after his Heroic Sacrifice
- Call Back: Iron Man helps The Punisher to return the favor for helping him at Karachi. Not that Punisher appreciates it.
- Composite Character: This movie's Elihas Starr takes the name and occupation of the villainous Egghead and the physical appearance and history of Black Widow from Alexei Shostakov, a.k.a. the Red Guardian, and brings them together.
- Comic Book Movies Don't Use Codenames: Elihas Starr isn't called "Egghead".
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Amadeus's dog.
- Expy: Leviathan is similar to HYDRA.
- Eye Scream: The Punisher kills Orion by shooting him in his eye.
- The Heavy: Elihas Starr. Leviathan would not have made the progress they did without his research, and he only joined them because he felt too weak to date a superhero like Black Widow.
- Heel Realization: "Then what did I do all this for?"
- Heroic Sacrifice: Elihas took Orion's blast for Black Widow.
- I Just Want to Be Special: The reason Elihas joined Leviathan is to become worthy of Black Widow's love.
- Kid-anova: Amadeus Cho, with limited success, while talking to Black Widow.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Come on, it's based on Marvel Comics. Of course Frank and Natasha exchange some not-so-friendly blows during their first meeting.
- Might Makes Right: Orion's belief.
- Mook Horror Show: The Punisher vs. a warehouse full of weapon dealers. It's not pretty.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- The Punisher, when he was brainwashed into killing several SHIELD guards (including a fellow ex-Marine) and nearly killed Black Widow.
- Elihas, when he realized his mistake for working with Leviathan.
- Ms. Fanservice: Numerous shots linger on Black Widows Most Common Superpower. When she is talking to Amadeus Cho, only her breasts are visible. Her legs and her butt get similiar attention.
- Nebulous Evil Organization: Leviathan
- Neck Snap: The Punisher seems rather fond of this.
- Not a Morning Person: Amadeus Cho in his first appearance.
- Powered Armor: Iron Man and War Machine.
- Psycho Ex-Boyfriend: Black Widow's Old Flame, the Red Guardian.
- Role Reprisal:
- She-Fu: just look at the page image.
- The Stinger: Punisher finally shoots the weapons dealer.
- Superhero Speciation: Defied. In a rare instance, both Iron Man and War Machine are on the same team.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Black Widow and the Punisher don't like each other, but have to work together under Fury's orders.
- Thigh-High Boots: Captain Marvel is rocking a pair.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The only reason Leviathan became so close to their goal was because of Elihas, who only did it all for Black Widow. And she wasn't happy to be in some ways responsible.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Black Widow found out Nick Fury withheld several information from her, and calls him out on it.
- Wolverine Publicity: The film is ostensibly about Black Widow and Punisher, but Marvel made sure to slap "Avengers" in the title. They do show up to help in the climax, so it's somewhat justified.
- Wretched Hive: Madripoor