Franchise: Iron Man
Tony Stark was a genius playboy billionaire industrialist until a battlefield explosion left him with a damaged heart that threatened to kill him. Captured by the enemy forces, he is forced into manufacturing weaponry to aid them. Instead he secretly designed and built a suit of armor in a cave, with a box of scraps to keep his heart beating and to escape from his captors, and in the process became the superhero known as Iron Man. The character first appeared in Tales of Suspense #39 (March, 1963), created by writers Stan Lee, and Larry Lieber, along with artists Don Heck and Jack Kirby. He has served as the protagonist of several series since that time.AnimeComic Book charactersNotable Comic StorylinesAnimated Film
- The Invincible Iron Man
- Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
- Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United
- Iron Man & Captain America: Heroes United
- Iron Man
- He also is a central character in The Avengers, and its sequel.
Tropes in all adaptations
- The Alcoholic: One of his flaws. Not only did it appear in the comic as the famous storyline "Devil in a bottle", he gets hammered in Iron Man 2.
- Black Best Friend: James Rhodes, Aka War Machine.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tony can be an asshole, but he usually means well.
- Powered Armor
- Science Hero