Video Game: Marvel Super Heroes War Of The Gems
Infinity Gems. There are six different Infinity Gems. Each Gem controls one of the forces of either Time, Space, Power, Reality, Mind, or Soul. It is said that the being who obtains all of the Gems will become omnipotent — ruler of the universe. "Someone has started to gather these six Gems. If they can gather all of the Gems, the universe will suffer a new age of evil. You must help!" Adam Warlock asked Earth's mightiest heroes. Knowing that the fate of the entire universe is at stake, Earth's mightiest heroes assemble to assist Adam Warlock in preventing the Infinity Gems from falling into the wrong hands!
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems is a Beat 'em Up
/ Platform Game
developed and published in 1996 for the SNES
, loosely based in the Infinity Gauntlet Story Arc
: The six eponymous Infinity Gems
have fallen to Earth and Adam Warlock
has recruited Earth's Mightiest Heroes to assist him to find the gems before they fall into the wrong hands.
Gameplay is similar to X-men: Mutant Apocalypse
, also by Capcom. You can choose between Captain America
(Returning from X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse), Iron Man
, or Hulk
, each with their own set of moves. As you find the Gems, you can choose to take one to the battle, each one with their unique properties. Each character has also a Special Gem Attack which allow the player to clear the screen of enemies, or deal tons of damage to the stronger baddies.
Not to confuse with Marvel Super Heroes
, a Fighting Game
also By Capcom, and also based on the Infinity Gauntlet story arc.
- Abandoned Mine: Adam Warlock describes Arizona Mining Complex as this.
- Adaptive Armor: Iron Man of all people.
- Affectionate Nickname: according to the profile of each character:
- Captain America is Cap. Wing-Headed.
- Spiderman is Spidey, the Web-Slinger.
- Wolverine is Wolvie.
- Iron Man is Shellhead, the Golden Avenger.
- Hulk is Brucie.
- A God Am I: Thanos's ultimate goal if he obtains all of the Gems
"I will destroy you, and obtain the Gems, and become omnipotent"
- Archer Archetype: The Evil Hawkeye mooks.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Iron Man's Smart Bomb deals a lot of damage, being even able to kill some regular mooks in a single hit, but he's wide open for a split second, and it doesn't come out as fast as one would want.
- Background Boss: the giant machine miniboss at The Magus's Spaceship.
- Bald of Awesome: Evil Hulk.
- Bare Your Midriff: Nebula.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: The heroes have no problem surviving when invading the Magus's Spaceship, and when navigating the Asteroid Belt.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Evil Sasquatch, the boss of Alaska stage.
- Blood Knight: According to his profile, Wolverine is "A hot-blooded warrior who is always looking for a good battle".
Rookie. What'd I tell ya bub? I'm the best there is at what I do!
- Boring, but Practical: Wolverine's Drill Claw is not as flashy as his Tornado Claw, but it's easier to perform, and deals almost the same amount of damage if aimed correctly
- Boss-Only Level: the Grand Finale against Nebula and Thanos.
- Also the training stage is this, where you fight a holographic copy of one of the bosses of the regular stages.
- Bullfight Boss: Evil Thing (At Mount Vesuvius) and Evil Hulk (At Egypt stage) charge at you.
- Cameo: Dr. Strange makes a brief appearance in Mount Vesuvius stage, to provide you with a magic platform where you can step on, and cross through the sea of lava.
- Character Portrait: There's a small one of your character near your lifebar.
- Averted with the bosses; it appears near their lifebar an italic, capital E (For Evil).
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: the color of the gems is a small indicative of the aspect of the universe they rule over.
- Combos: performed all with the Y button.
- Comes Great Responsibility: according to his profile, Spiderman fights for the responsibility of man, and for the love of his wife, Mary Jane.
- Competitive Balance:
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: Try replaying the game after finishing it for the first time. It's easy to forget that you can't perform Special Gem Attacks without first finding at least the first Gem.
- Dark Action Girl: Nebula, also the Evil She Hulk mooks.
- Death from Above: Evil Sasquatch, the boss of Alaska stage, drops icicles on your character's head.
- Spidey and Wolvie have diving attacks that cause a lot of damage to their opponents.
- Degraded Boss: The first time you fight Dr. Doom, he escapes. You find him again in Asteroid Belt as a miniboss. This time, you have to finish him for good.
- Inverted with Evil Hulk: you first find him as a miniboss in The Magus's Spaceship; later when you find again as the boss of Egypt stage, it's time to finish him for good.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: if you're able to defeat Thanos.
- Difficult but Awesome: Cap can throw his shield in fron of him, or also diagonal up or diagonal down, it's hard sometimes to hit a target, but with enough practice, this becomes an almost impregnable defense system.
- Hulk's Launch-and-Smash attack can also be this, due to the risk of getting too close to the enemy, but it's certainly the most powerful attack of the main characters (Excluding the Special Gem Attacks, obviuosly).
- Disc One Final Boss: The Magus.
- Disc One Final Dungeon: The Magus's Spaceship.
- Diving Kick: one of Dr. Doom's main attacks.
- Double Jump: Iron Man has this in his arsenal.
- Dragon: Nebula is this to Thanos.
- Dual Boss: two Evil Iron Men at the end of Boston Aquarium stage.
- Eldritch Abomination: Blackheart (In Asteroid Belt).
- Evil Sasquatch, the boss of Alaska stage, isn't too far behind.
- Evil Counterpart: of the main heroes except Cap and Spidey. There are also evil counterparts of Silver Surfer, The Thing, Daredevil, She-Hulk, etc.
- Extra Ore Dinary: one of Thanos's attacks consists on summoning two metal plates around you, and viciously close them on you.
- Five-Man Band:
- Flight: Iron Man can boost horizontally when in the air. Also useful to strike down airborne baddies.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: some stages are full of these.
- Genius Bruiser: Hulk.
Did you truly believe you could beat me with muscle? We could have talked. Use your brain!
- Glass Cannon: your character becomes this if you equip the Power Gem.
- If you equip the Soul Gem instead, your character becomes a Stone Wall.
- Ground Punch: Hulk's Special Gem Attack. He creates a shockwave that is able to knock down even airborne baddies.
- Guide Dang It: the player is on his/her own to figure out how to perform Special Gem Attacks.
- Having a Blast: Cap's Special Gem Attack.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Subverted with Captain America. He can "Shield Slash" any opponent from a distance, or charge at them before they attack, but in general, he can only use his shield to attack, not to block, or guard.
- MacGuffin: the six Infinity Gems.
- Mission Control: Adam Warlock; he gives a brief summary of what waits for you at each stage, also warns you about the explosives placed at Boston Aquarium, and the Poison Gas in Arizona Mining Complex.
- Mook Promotion: there is a stronger boss version for some of the regular mooks, such as Evil Wolverine, Evil Iron Man, Evil Daredevil, etc.
- Never Say "Die": averted when Thanos makes his first appearance.
"Give me the Gems or you shall die!"
- Later when you're about to confront him:
"Prepare to meet your death!"
- Oh Crap: Thanos's reaction after his defeat.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: the weaker versions of the Evil Puck and Evil Hawkeye mooks are this.
- Oxygen Meter: you are given one in the flooded rooms in Boston Aquarium and Dr. Doom's Castle, also in the poison gas room in Arizona Mining Complex. If you run out of air, you don't drown instantly, instead, your lifebar starts depleting.
- Plasma Cannon: one of the first obstacles in The Magus's Spaceship.
- Playing with Fire: Evil Thing (The boss of Mount Vesuvuis) attacks you with fireballs. The final boss Thanos can also create a fire pillar beneath your character's feet.
- Power Up Full Color Change / The Berserker: Wolverine's Special Gem Attack turns him golden, and allows him to shoot energy waves with his claws.
- Ray Gun: Nebula's Weapon of Choice.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Evil Daredevil (boss and mooks).
- Sequence Breaking: If you're playing Dr. Doom's Castle with Iron Man, you can choose between going through the upper path, or lower path. The upper path was supposed to be only for Spidey and Wolvie, given how they can't break the wall to the lower path, so that would mean the lower path is only for the other three heroes. Iron Man's Double Jump proves to be very useful here.
- Shock and Awe: The Magus can fire a lightning bolt at you.
- The statue miniboss at Egypt stage also tries to zap you with electricity.
- Shockwave Stomp: one of Evil Sasquatch's favourite attacks. The stomp per se doesn't hurt or immobilize you, but he can drop icicles on your character's head.
- Shoryuken: Wolverine's Tornado Claw requires the same input as in Street Fighter.
- Hulk also has a move where he launches a baddie into the air, jumps and smashes him hard into the ground.
- Iron man also has one, as a Combo finisher.
- Shout-Out: The Magus's teleport is similar to Akuma's Ashura Senkuu.
- Smart Bomb: Iron Man has one in his arsenal.
- Spell My Name with a "The": The Magus.
- Spikes Of Doom: the armors of Evil Iron Man mooks are covered with these.
- Spiritual Successor: of X Men Mutant Apocalypse.
- Super Strength: Hulk of all people. According to his profile, he can throw a tank as easily as a normal human throws a baseball.
- Teleport Spam: Blackheart, the boss of Asteroid Belt, likes to teleport a lot.
- Terrible Trio: three Evil Puck minibosses at Alaska stage.
- The Paralyzer: Spidey's Web Ball paralyzes mooks, leaving them wide open for a combo. It doesn't work in bosses, though.
- His Special Gem Attack may also count as this, Spidey paralyzes the baddie with his Web, and slams him hard into the ground.
- True Final Boss: Thanos
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: The Asteroid Belt stage is the most platform-like of all. After being beating up a hundred baddies throughout the game, you find yourself jumping from platform to platform and avoiding floating debris. Except for a few airborne baddies, and the battles with Dr. Doom and Blackheart, there are almost no baddies to beat up.
- Video Game Settings:
- Walk, Don't Swim: this is how the heroes navigate the flooded rooms.
- Wall Crawl: Spidey and Wolvie have this in their arsenal.
- Weakened by the Light: Iron Man's Special Gem Attack.
- Wolverine Claws: Duh.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Hulk.