The day our sky fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.Ace Combat: Infinity
is the newest addition to the Ace Combat
series, once again set on Earth instead of Strangereal, and seemingly featuring several superweapons, story elements and fictional aircraft
from older games such as the CFA-44 and Heavy Command Cruiser from Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
, the ASF-X Shinden II from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
and what appears to be the Stonehenge Turret Network from Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
. The trailer
shows that the Earth has suffered a catastrophic asteroid impact, drawing comparisons to the events of Ace Combat 04, and also marks the possible return of Kei "Edge" Nagase
and maybe even Mobius One.
From the most recent teaser
appears to be a remake of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
, since it mentions Stonehenge, Sky Eye, and plays Rex Tremendae, the song that comes before Megalith -Agnus Dei-. If true, it would be the second remake in the series (after Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy
retooling Ace Combat 2
); it'd also mean that Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
got skipped over again
. It is also interest of note in that trailer that the Aigaion and CFA-44 were present in the trailer, suggesting that elements from Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
(itself a Whole Plot Reference
) will be present in the game, too.
Project Aces also announced that Infinity
will be free to play, and will only be available on the PS3
for a 2013 release.
The game provides examples of the following tropes:
- Allegedly Free Game: The "Sortie Fuel System" will limit how many times you can play multiplayer, unless you wait for the fuel to recharge, or buy the fuel if you don't want to wait.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: It appears as if though the game takes place in 2019.
- Crapsack World: The impact of the Ulysses asteroids in this timeline is even more severe compared to Strangereal, with over 20% of the global population killed during the disaster along with a complete breakdown of order in world governments.
- Cross Over: The game seems to be drawing from every single game before it:
- Ace Combat 2: Kei Nagase and John Herbert, Edge and Slash respectively, are confirmed characters in the game.
- Ace Combat 3: The possibility of the COFFIN system being used, according to the Ulysses Disaster trailer. Also, one has to wonder who the narrator is talking to......
- The Whole Plot Reference to Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, as well as the use of Stonehenge and Sky Eye
- Plus, the 'title card' shown at the end of all the trailers have shown what appears to be Mobius One's Ribbon emblem in the background.
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War': A four-ship formation with black color schemes similar to the 'Demons of Razgriz', and the inclusion of the Scinfaxi-class submarine in the latest trailer.
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War: The second trailer shows an unseen plane using what appears to be the Tactical Laser System.
- Also, the main protagonist and his squadron are all mercenaries.
- Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation: Both the CFA-44 Nosferatu and the Aigaion appear.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: Several ASF-X Shinden II's can be seen.
- Double Unlock: To acquire planes and parts from the Aircraft Tree, you'll need to research and develop each plane and part, then buy the item with in-game money. In order to progress through the tree, you'll need to buy all the aircraft and parts from one node to unlock the next node for research and development.
- Just Plane Wrong: The game Justifies why you would see obsolete and rare planes in 2019. Aircraft manufacturing has advanced to the point where older planes can be mass produced quickly, cheaply, and efficiently.