Liam O'Brien is one of the more recent voice actors. Chances are that if you notice a character who seems aristocratic
or have noble standing
, they'll have this guy voicing them. Most likely characteristics of his voice are an almost-faux British accent, gruff
, or a very laid-back demeanor. And he doesn't differentiate that much—
—"You want any voice differentiation? That's Gaara!"
His real forte seems to be voicing characters who have more than a few screws loose in their head, from the eccentric to the completely insane
. In fact, this is what shot him to fame when he voiced Gaara in Naruto
. He has a knack for Ambiguously Gay
characters, and one heck of an Evil Laugh
that's present in just about every villain he's ever played.
He's currently married to fellow voice actress Amy Kincaid (who played Shirley Fenette in Code Geass
and Kotone Himekawa in To Heart
) with one child, a boy, and also does a butt-load of ADR directing (Most notably for the most recent entries in the Resident Evil
series). Some think that he's turning into the English version of Norio Wakamoto
in that both are very good at playing villains.
He has a Twitter account
and started a podcast, "Allworknoplay
", with fellow voice actor Sam Riegel
Notable roles from Liam O'Brien:
- Additional radio voices in Grand Theft Auto V
- Air Raid in Transformers: War for Cybertron
- Akihiko Sanada in Persona 3 and Persona 4 Arena
- Archer in the anime adaptation Fate/stay night
- Asura from Asura's Wrath
- Ayatane Michitaka in Ar tonelico
- Baldren Gassenarl from Valkyria Chronicles II
- Chaos in Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
- Chuck Preston in Wild ARMs 5
- Clark Triton in Professor Layton and the Last Specter
- Cu Chaspel in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
- Dr. Clive in Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
- Dio in Virtue's Last Reward
- Dist the Rose in Tales of the Abyss
- Durant in Yggdra Union
- Endrance in the .hack//G.U. trilogy
- Father Balder in Bayonetta
- Frisbee in Red Line
- Gaara in Naruto
- The Ghost and Science Vessel units in Starcraft II
- Goto in Mana-Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
- Grimoire Weiss in NieR Gestalt
- Hisoka Kurosaki in Descendants of Darkness
- Illidan Stormrage in World of Warcraft
- Ingway in Odin Sphere
- Inigo in Fire Emblem Awakening
- Isaac in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
- ISA Multiplayer Announcer in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
- Joachim Armster in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
- Jonathan Morris in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Jushiro Ukitake, Soken Ishida, and Sora Inoue in Bleach
- Junta Momonari/Mega Playboy in DNA˛
- Kain Highwind in Final Fantasy IV (DS), reprising the role for Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy
- Kariya Matou in Fate/Zero
- Kazuharu Fukuyama in Girls Bravo
- Dr. Kenzou Tenma in Monster
- Kotone Seiryuin in Sakura Wars The Movie (one of his first LA roles) (Uncredited)
- Ky Kiske in Guilty Gear 2 Overture
- Leviathan (Squigly's parasite) in Skullgirls
- Levin and Raksha in Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
- Lezard Valeth in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
- Lloyd Asplund in Code Geass
- Lunatic/Yuri Petrov in Tiger & Bunny
- Mamiya Chida in Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Detective Maniwa in Paranoia Agent (starting with episode 5)
- Marquis Andrea Cavalcanti/Benedetto in Gankutsuou
- Master Big Star in Disgaea 3
- Miguel Caballero Rojo in Tekken 6
- Once substituted for Steve Blum as Mugen in the Samurai Champloo video game due to Steve's union status.
- Navarre, Herald Uriel, and Yamato-Takeru in Shin Megami Tensei IV
- Nephrite in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon
- Niall in Dragon Age: Origins
- Nightcrawler, Nitro, and Angel/Archangel in Wolverine and the X-Men
- Swordmaster Nobutsuna Kamiizumi in Bravely Default
- Not-Nice Cream in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
- Numerous named NPCs in Fallout: New Vegas like Pacer, Cachino, Major Knight, and Jerry the Punk.
- Numerous other named NPCs in Dungeon Siege III
- Orlando Haddick in Catherine
- P.M.C Multiplayer Announcer in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Ray Lundgren in GUN×SWORD
- Red Skull in Avengers Assemble and Phineas And Ferb Mission Marvel
- Reynard Fisher (Chris and Sheva's contact in Chapter 1) in Resident Evil 5, where he also did the ADR directing
- Rezo the Red Priest in Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R
- Rig in Dead or Alive 5
- Robert "Baker" Taube in Titanfall
- Sanctus in Devil May Cry 4
- Dr. Stahngun/Dimitri Allen in Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
- Steven Bisson in the Eureka Seven video games
- Taishi Kuhonbutsu in Comic Party
- Tokugawa Ieyasu in Sengoku Basara (both the anime, albeit uncredited, and Samurai Heroes)
- Tsubasa in Kannazuki no Miko
- Vayne Aurelius in Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
- Vincent Law from Ergo Proxy
- Count Waltz in Eternal Sonata
- War in Darksiders
- The Waysider Player Character in Lost Planet 2
- Yasuo in League of Legends
- Zazz in Sonic Lost World
Tropes relating to his roles:
- Ax-Crazy: What a lot of his characters have in common. If the character is a good guy, the character is most likely a Sociopathic Hero, one with a Dark and Troubled Past, a Blood Knight, an Anti-Hero, or a former villain turned good guy/antihero. If the character is a bad guy, the character he voices is most likely going to be a Smug Snake, a Manipulative Bastard, a Mad Scientist, a Psychotic Manchild, a Villain Protagonist, an evil noble, or one without any redeeming qualities.
- Badass Baritone: While his natural voice is actually a little bit higher than what most people hear, the voice he uses most often is this.
- Deadpan Snarker: If his Twitter account is any indication, he's got a killer sense of humor.
- Evil Sounds Deep: If the character he voices happens to have a deep voice, then they are most likely are going to be villains. If the villain has a higher pitched voice, then said villain is going to be psychotic.
- Evil Laugh: He's very fond of this.
- Guttural Growler: Even when playing an unambiguously good man like Dr. Tenma, his voice has this quality.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: We have Gaara, Lloyd, and Dr. Clive for starters, but he's really capable of others. Also, his official resume lists British, Cockney, Spanish, Russian, Irish, German, Brooklyn, and New Jersey as his dialect specialties (the first one happens to be the most common one).
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He does not share the mental instability present in most of his roles.
- One of Us: His Twitter account pretty much confirms this. He also once cosplayed with several other V As during a viewing of Game of Thrones
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Most of his characters tend to be mentally unstable villains, but he still plays against type from time to time.
- Playing Against Type:
- Dr. Tenma from Monster, a Nice Guy Technical Pacifist doctor. note
- Also both Ky Kiske and Tokugawa Ieyasu, Reasonable Authority Figure type characters (quite a stark contrast to most of his characters).
- Akihiko Sanada isn't exactly villain material either. Asura is a different story entirely.
- And for a short time, he voiced Stahn Aileron, who's Tales Series' poster boy for Wide-Eyed Idealist Idiot Hero. There's also Jonathan Morris, who while still good and powerful, isn't exactly the brightest bulb.
- Playing Inigo from Fire Emblem Awakening, had him playing a suave, happy go lucky, overly emotional, ladies man who was just out to make everyone smile.
- He played Shobu Kirifuda in the second and third seasons of Duel Masters, AND the young version of the aforementioned Tokugawa Ieyasu in the Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes anime. That's as far from his usual typecast as one can possibly get.
- Star-Making Role: As Gaara from Naruto.
- Villains: What he's best well-known for playing. As with a Youtube comment comparing the evil laughs of English and Japanese voice acting in Eternal Sonata: "best evil voice actor ever". He's getting close to becoming the definitive English counterpart of Norio Wakamoto.
- What Could Have Been: The Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 E3 2012 demo had Liam voicing the player character, David Mason.