Girl power! Laura Dawn Bailey
(born May 28, 1981) is an American actress and voice actress. Best known for her anime
roles (at first, FUNimation
titles but she has definitely moved on), she has also supplied voices in video games and worked as staff on several anime series. Some of her best known roles are Rayne in the BloodRayne
video game series, Lust in Fullmetal Alchemist
, Young Trunks in Dragon Ball Z
, Maka Albarn in Soul Eater
, Tohru Honda in Fruits Basket
, Sana Kurata in Kodocha
, Shin Nohara in the English dub of Crayon Shin-chan
, and Rise Kujikawa in Persona 4
. She is married to fellow voice actor Travis Willingham
Has a website
and Twitter account
Her Japanese counterparts are Marina Inoue
, Ami Koshimizu
, and Mai Nakahara
, as they are known to voice a lot of Action Girl
s and have similar vocal ranges with Laura Bailey. Her Texan counterpart is probably Brittney Karbowski
(which coincidentally enough, they used to work together in various anime titles before Laura moved to California).
Notable roles by Laura Bailey:
- Basilisk - Oboro
- Bleach - Mashiro Kuna, Tier Harribel, Hiyori Sarugaki, and Homura
- Bludgeoning Angel Dokurochan - Sabato
- Blue Gender - Marlene Angel
- Burst Angel - Nadesico
- Claymore - Jeanne
- Case Closed - Serena Sebastian
- Code Geass - Suzaku Kururugi (young), Rakshata Chawla, Nagisa Chiba, Kallen's stepmother
- Crayon Shin-chan - Shin Nohara
- Darker Than Black - Amber
- Dragon Ball - Young Chi-Chi, Hasky, Ranfan, Fanfan, and Akane Kimidori
- El Cazador de la Bruja - Rita
- Fruits Basket - Tohru Honda
- Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Lust
- Genesis of Aquarion - Tsugumi
- Gunslinger Girl - Henrietta
- GUN×SWORD - Rion
- Hell Girl - Mayumi Hashimoto
- Hellsing Ultimate - Schrödinger
- Kekkaishi - Tokine Yukimura
- Kodocha - Sana Kurata
- K-On! - Nodoka Manabe
- Kurokami - Kuro
- Monster - Dieter
- Naruto - Lady Toki, the new voice for Anko Mitarashi, Shiho, Shion
- Negima! Magister Negi Magi - Evangeline A.K. McDowell and Ayaka Yukihiro
- One Piece - Conis and Pepper
- Ouran High School Host Club - Kanako Kasugazaki
- School Rumble - Tsumugi Yuuki
- Soul Eater - Maka Albarn
- Spiral - Ryoko Takamachi
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Leite Jokin
- Tiger & Bunny - Pao-Lin Huang/Dragon Kid, Christina Lyle, Emily, Lily, and Mary Rose
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Xing Huo, Primera
- YuYu Hakusho (TV series) - Keiko Yukimura
- Æon Flux - Una, Hostesses
- Armored Core V - Carol Dorry, Various AC pilots
- Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica - Luca Trulyworth (uncredited)
- Binary Domain - Faye Lee
- BioShock Infinite - Lady Comstock
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift - Platinum The Trinity
- BloodRayne - Rayne
- Catherine - Catherine
- Code of Princess - Solange
- Dawn of Mana - Ritzia
- Dead or Alive 5 - Christie
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Demon Hunter (female)
- Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Raspberyl
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy/Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy - Cloud of Darkness
- Deus Ex: Invisible War - Alex D (female)
- Fallout: New Vegas - Carrie Boyd, Julie Farkas, Doctor Usanagi, additional voices and the female Courier
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers - Belle
- Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Serah Farron
- Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - Lucina
- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage - Mamiya
- Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon: Chiyo
- Gears of War 3 - Alicia Valera
- inFAMOUS: Second Son - Abigail "Fetch" Walker
- Infinity Blade II - Isaline
- League of Legends - Akali
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Jean Grey
- NieR Gestalt - Kainé
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - Angela (under the alias Elle Deets)
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - Sherry Birkin
- Resident Evil: Degeneration - Angela Miller
- Resident Evil 6 - Helena Harper
- Saints Row: The Third - One of the Boss's female voices
- Sakura Wars V: So Long My Love - Gemini Sunrise
- Sengoku Basara - Oichi (both game and anime)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Rise Kujikawa (one of her first roles in Los Angeles)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable - Female protagonist (uncredited)
- Silent Hill 2 (HD Collection) - Angela Orosco
- Silent Hill 3 (HD Collection) - Claudia Wolf
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Dahlia Mason
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Blaze the Cat, Omochao (2010 - present)
- SoulCalibur V - Pyrrha Alexandra
- Star Ocean The Last Hope - Reimi Saionji, Welch Vineyard (uncredited)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic - Kira Carsen
- Street Fighter IV - Chun-Li and Candy
- And in Marvel vs. Capcom as Chun-Li once again.
- She reprises her role as Chun-Li for a third time in Street Fighter X Tekken.
- She also plays Chun-Li in the OVAs that were released with Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV.
- Tales from the Borderlands - Fiona
- Tales of Graces - Cheria Barnes
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Marta Lualdi (uncredited)
- Tales of Vesperia - Gauche
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Serana (In the Dawnguard DLC)
- Trauma Team - Nicole Summers, Sandra Lieberman
- Valkyria Chronicles - Isara Gunther
- Valkyria Chronicles II - Melissa Dalen
- Virtue's Last Reward - Luna
- The Wolf Among Us - Rachel/Auntie Greenleaf
- World of Warcraft - Jaina Proudmoore (from Wrath of the Lich King on), as well as minor characters Sif and Argent Confessor Paletress.
- Yggdra Union - Pamela (uncredited)
- Super Hero Squad Online - Psylocke
Tropes applicable to Laura Bailey:
- Action Girl: A majority of the characters she voices fall into this.
- Contralto of Danger: Due to the number of Action Girls she voiced, many of her characters she voiced come out this way. That being said, she's capable for using a higher-pitched voice for cuter and younger characters.
- Crossdressing Voices: Notably as Shin and Kid Trunks.
- Fake Brit: As Evangeline and a bunch of girls in Dragon's Dogma, but she's very good at mimicking the accent.
- Genki Girl: Her whole personality is based on this, and not to mention she's played quite a few of them.
- Happily Married: To Travis Willingham.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: She's 5'2 and her Husband Travis Willingham is 6'4, a whole foot taller than her.
- Ms. Fanservice: A lot of her characters tend to be rather attractive, from Harribel, Homura, Lust, Christie and Rayne, to Chun-Li, Anko, Kira Carsen, Rise Kujikawa and Black Widow.
- Bailey herself also looks nice.
- Older Than She Looks: She's 33 but she doesn't seem to have aged much in the last 10 years or so.
- One of Us: Big fan of anime as well as video games. Particularly Dragon Age and Final Fantasy (Final Fantasy X is her personal favorite).
- Perverse Sexual Lust: She's admitted that she has a thing for Kyo Sohma. In her own words, "He's soooo dreamy!"
- Playing Against Type: As the voice of the foul-mouthed, sociopathic, gang-leading Villain Protagonist in Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV.
- Promoted Fangirl: According to Bailey, out of all the women who auditioned for the role of Chun-Li in Street Fighter IV, she was the only one who actually knew who Chun-Li was.
- Relationship Voice Actor: With Travis Willingham. She once mentioned at an anime convention in 2010 that while in the middle of a recording session for Lust's final episode in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, she received a text message from Willingham that consisted of one line: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! For those who don't know why that's so funny, the linked video also has Willingham's side of the story.
- And in Binary Domain, she plays the love interest to the main character, who's voiced by Willingham. As more than one snarky observer has commented, "That must have been a pretty easy 'acting' job."
- Then we have a bit of a subversion in Trauma Team, where Willingham voices diagnostician Gabriel and has his first mission with patient high schooler Nicole who's voiced by Bailey. And of course, awkwardness ensues between the age gap, but it's pure embarrassment on both sides.
- The two got married in 2011.
- She and Troy Baker have also had their fair share of team-ups, to say the least. As with Johnny Yong Bosch as well.
- Running Gag: An unintentional one seems to be that, inevitably, should Bailey and Willingham wind up playing badasses, they will kick the crap or straight up murder each other (for example, Fullmetal Alchemist, Avengers Assemble and Infamous Second Son).
- Star-Making Role: In anime, Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket. In video games, either Rayne in BloodRayne, Chun-Li in Street Fighter IV or Rise Kujikawa from Persona 4.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Female listeners often have a hard time not feeling this when she uses her "Lust" voice.
- Tomboy: Had voiced several characters that fit into this trope. In addition, she's one herself in some degree.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: She has very impressive voice range, being able to voice both male and female characters.