Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind
is a 2009 animated film directed by Jiro Kanai. This is featured on a bonus disc included in the Collector's Edition of Street Fighter IV
for the PlayStation 3
, Xbox 360
and PC. This anime is considered a tie-in to the game.
Over the past year, famous martial artists who are the top practitioners of his/her respective martial art have been disappearing. On one hand, there is Cammy of Delta Red suspecting that Shadaloo is up to no good, despite her fellow agents believing that the organization is history. On the other hand, there is Guile teamed with Chun-Li of Interpol investigating the disappearances.
Meanwhile, there is Seth, leader of S.I.N., who is quite interested in Ryu and his Satsui No Hado (殺意の波動, translated as "Surge of Murderous Intent"). Seth is trying to power up a weapon called BLECE ( Boiling Liquid Expanding Cell Explosion
), and Ryu's Satsui No Hado is just the thing he needs to power it up.
This anime provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Cammy, Chun-Li, and Sakura qualify.
- Affably Evil: Crimson Viper. She politely offered a chair for Eliza to sit on after she kidnapped her. When Eliza refused and said "You tricked me!", Viper actually looked hurt to hear that.
- Big Bad: Seth.
- Bigger Bad: Bison, who is behind everything though he never actually makes an appearance here.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Seth sports a pair of these.
- Body Horror: It's not shown in graphic detail, but you can make out the parts of exploded animals lying around in the Amazon.
- Breast Attack: C. Viper touches Cammy's breast and zaps her there.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: At one point, Sakura and Chun-Li take on a huge group of S.I.N. agents. The S.I.N. agents never stood a chance.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Cammy tried to take on C. Viper. C. Viper soundly defeated her and almost killed her.
- Dark Action Girl: C. Viper qualifies.
- Designated Girl Fight: This occurs with Cammy and C. Viper, with Cammy getting soundly defeated.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: C. Viper/Maya is shown to have a daughter and she loves her very much.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When Ryu declares that he seeks power to protect the innocent, and that Seth seeks the opposite power, Seth responds that it's nonsense and that power is power with no real difference.
- Evil Redhead: C. Viper has red hair, and she's working for the bad guys.
- Groin Attack: It's hard to tell, but it looks like C. Viper gave an electrified punch to Cammy there.
- I Have Your Wife: C. Viper calls Ken Masters on the phone to reveal that she got his wife, Eliza, and she wants Ken to exchange Ryu for Eliza.
- Inner Monologue: Ryu and Ken engage in this a number of times.
- Karma Houdini: The bad guys get away scot-free. Justified, because this is a prequel.
- Leotard of Power: Cammy still wears this.
- Lovely Angels: Sakura and Chun-Li prove to be a surprisingly effective pair together.
- The Man Behind the Man: Bison of Shadaloo has been manipulating Seth and S.I.N. from behind the scenes.
- Morality Pet: Sakura seems to act as this for Ryu.
- Motive Rant: Seth goes into one while he is beating Ryu about how he seeks power through violence.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The look on Ryu's face when he realizes that he could have killed Sakura while under the influence of Satsui No Hado strongly indicates this.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The bodies of the dead martial artists Delta Red finds in the Amazon are never shown. Considering that they apparently exploded as part of an experiment, that just makes it sound scarier.
- Oh Crap: C. Viper and several S.I.N. agents have this reaction when Ryu gives in to the Satsui No Hado and proves to be more powerful than they thought possible.
- Qipao: Chun-Li only puts this on close to the end of this anime.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When Ryu gets overtaken by the Satsui No Hado, his eyes glow red. It is strongly inadvisable to fight him when that happens.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Ryu manages to turn the tables on Seth and give a powerful response to Seth's Motive Rant.
- Super Speed: Ryu moves incredibly fast when he gets overtaken by the Satsui No Hado.
- The Worf Effect: Cammy is definitely a powerful fighter, so seeing C. Viper utterly crush her shows that Viper is not an opponent to take lightly.
- Would Hit a Girl: Ryu doesn't have a problem with fighting women.