Stephen Merchant (born in Bristol, England, in 1974) is an actor, comedian, radio host, writer and director. He is best known for his work writing The Office (UK)
with Ricky Gervais
, and playing a recurring character in the latter. He also has had a pretty successful career in voice acting, including voicing Paris in Gnomeo and Juliet
, Mr Phillips in Bromwell High
in Portal 2
Merchant often works with Ricky Gervais
and Karl Pilkington
He is currently on a stand-up tour and starring in the HBO sitcom Hello Ladies
Tropes associated with Stephen Merchant:
- Adorkable: Glasses? Check. Shy? Check. Gangly? Check. Nerdy? Check. Desire to be more rock and roll but never quite being able to pull it off? Double check.
- Berserk Button: He's pretty sensitive about his height and doesn't like people making such a big deal out of it. Likewise, he can get pretty bitter if he's reminded of how unsuccessful his love life has been.
- He also seems to hate being called an "invalid" as one episode of The Ricky Gervais Show indicates.
- For those who aren't familiar with the insult, being called an "invalid" is like being called "worthless" or a "moron". Yes, he hates being called a "moron".
- It's also a gentle way of saying disabled. Makes that moment even more awkward...
- Bowties Are Cool: He wore a bow tie to school when he was a kid, entirely of his own volition. His opinion of them now is up in the air.
- Catchphrase: "Man alive!"
- Fat and Skinny: He is often seen with fellow comedian and friend Ricky Gervais.
- Game Show Appearance: Was on Blockbusters before he made it big. It was incorporated into a scene in The Office (UK) with a character who had been on Blockbusters.
- Gentle Giant: He's 6 feet 7 inches tall, and yet he's said to be quite shy.
- Height Angst: His height is something of a source of annoyance for him.
- Motor Mouth: If he wants to, he can really let the words fly.
- Unlucky Everydude: He has poor luck with getting dates.