Stephen Merchant (born in Bristol, England, in 1974) is a British actor, comedian, radio host, writer and director. He is best known for his work writing The Office (UK) and Extras with Ricky Gervais, and playing a recurring character in the latter. He also has had a pretty successful career in voice acting, including voicing Paris in Gnomeo and Juliet, Mr Phillips in Bromwell High and Wheatley in Portal 2.Merchant often works with Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington.He is currently on a stand-up tour and starred in the HBO sitcom Hello Ladies and in 2017, Merchant made his first foray into the comic book movie genre with the release of Logan, the third and final Wolverine Spin-Off film in the X-Men cinematic film series, playing the role of Caliban.
Tropes associated with Stephen Merchant:
- Adorkable: Glasses? Check. Shy? Check. Gangly? Check. Nerdy? Check. Desire to be more rock and roll but never quite being able to pull it off? Double check.
- Berserk Button: He also seems to hate being called an "invalid" as one episode of The Ricky Gervais Show indicates.
- Catchphrase: "Man alive!"
- Fat and Skinny: He is often seen with fellow comedian and friend Ricky Gervais.
- Game Show Appearance: Was on Blockbusters before he made it big. It was incorporated into a scene in The Office (UK) with Ricky the intern, who had also been on Blockbusters.
- Gentle Giant: He's 6 feet 7 inches tall, and yet he's said to be quite shy.
- Height Angst: He's said on The Ricky Gervais Show that being as tall as he is can become a bit of a disability. He complains about it a few times throughout the show.
- Motor Mouth: If he wants to, he can really let the words fly.
- Shaking the Rump: His appearance on Lip Sync Battle included a rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty" which involved a lot of this. It's worth noting the outfit he was wearing during said performance...