On the last episode of TV Tropes Z....
Describe Kyle Hebert he-Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK KYLE HEBERT IS?!He is the champion of Justice, The defender of what is right!! THE GREAT SAIYAMAN!!!
Kyle Hebert (make a note of the last name, (it's French and tends to get spelled and pronounced wrong fairly often)
is a voice actor who originally did work for FUNimation
, which is in Texas. His most notable roles are Teen Gohan and the 2nd Narrator in Dragon Ball Z
. Soon afterward he started working in California dubs. He's recognizable by his gruff and suave tone present in many of the characters he voices.
As stated above, he is the dub voice of Kamina in Gurren Lagann
. Naturally, due to Kamina's Memetic Badass
status, this just made him much more popular. He's present at many anime conventions and does a lot of Q&A sessions with his former FUNimation compatriots.
He's also an Internet star thanks to not only his role as Magnificent Bastard Sosuke Aizen
, but also due to his role as Wario in fellow voice actor Matthew Mercer's web series There Will Be Brawl
. He also hosts his own podcast
(yes, named after Hebert's Bald of Awesome
), along with Indie-Rock musician Otherworld Steve. The podcast is not only supported by another
podcast (hosted by Canadian voice actor Trevor Devall
), but also supports yet another
podcast, hosted by MasakoX
and other The Abridged Series
Has a Twitter account
and a YouTube account
Notable roles by Kyle Hebert:
Tropes associated with Kyle Hebert:
- Badass: A lot of his characters, teen/adult Gohan, Kamina, Ryu, and Pirohiko are some examples.
- Badass Beard
- Bald of Awesome: Lampshaded in his appropriately named podcast, "Big Bald Broadcast".
- The Cat Came Back: Played this role opposite Doug Walker in a skit at Matsuricon.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: Discussed in a Youtube video relating to Bandai's downfall.
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay: His last name is French and pronounced "Ay-bear".
- Kamehamehadoken: Noted on the Hilarious in Hindsight page, he's the only one so far who have voiced two characters who use this move (Adult Gohan for the Kamehameha and Ryu for the Hadoken).
- Large Ham: Kamina being the best example.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: His range can cover manly men, conniving villains, wimpy teens, and everything in between.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the nicest guys and likes talking to his fans.
- One of Us: Video games, anime, manga, comic books, you name it.
- He doesn't get invited to cons as often as some other voice actors. Never stopped him showing up anyway as a fan (and "crashing" panels).
- Got his announcer job on Kevin Smith's podcast network when he, for free as a fan of the show, sent in a recorded intro for Hollywood Babble-On. Hosts Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith had no idea who he was, now he's the official voice of the network.
- He's an admitted 4chan user and part-time troll on the site.
- Playing Against Type: The calm and collected Aizen isn't one of his usual roles. Same goes for Edgeworth and Frederick.
- Star-Making Role: Two of them: the older Gohan in Dragon Ball Z, and the Largest Ham Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Those who follow Hebert on social media know he loves him some peanut butter.