The official podcast for Nerdist.com, run by Chris Hardwick. Hosted by Chris, Jonah Ray and Matt Mira, the podcast is released weekly and features a different guest each week. As the name would suggest, both the guests and the topics discussed are often (but not always) quite nerdy. There's now a second podcast each week, although these are without a guest (referred to as hostful rather than guestless).The guests on the podcast are often comedians, as the three hosts are comedians themselves although a number have been actors or musicians.Avalible through iTunes or directly from the websiteHave spun off thirty-two (count'em) podcasts, a YouTube premium channel, a talk show on BBC America, and a book, all under the aegis of The Nerdist Industries logo.
The podcast contains examples of:
- The Cameo: Prior guests Adam Savage and Doug Benson have both made guest appearances in other episodes.
- Complaining About Podcasts You Don't Like: Chris has mentioned a few times that he gets annoyed when people complain about the podcasts in the comments, although Jonah finds it funny.
- Crossover: Chris has appeared on the shows and podcasts of a number of the guests, including a semi-regular spot on The Late Late Show.
- The Empire: In more recent episodes, some guests have taken to referring to The Nerdist as this, as it currently features a website with a bunch of contributors, the podcast, and will soon have a SECOND podcast, a book and physical offices and performance space.
- Second was just the beginning, it seems. As of July 2012, there are nearly two dozen podcasts operating under the Nerdist Industries name.
- And, it seems, an all-new and similarly-formatted thirty-minute TV show, airing right after Doctor Who.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Most guests are nerds in some way or another.
- If I Were a Rich Man: Chris unthinkingly using the sentence starter "If I have a million dollars..." resulted in an epic mocking from Matt and Myra, who immediately reminded him that he is currently engaged to a multi-millionaire.
- Once an Episode "Enjoy your burrito!"
- Parody Commercial: In the episode "The Dork Backward," the hosts improvise a commercial for IMDb using funny 1930s-style delivery.
- Running Gag:
- During a live podcast with Kevin Smith, they coin the term 'Vader Pussy', which has popped up in a few episodes since.
- When someone (usually Chris) starts to complain about something small or unimportant, they're usually mocked by the other hosts about their 'first world problems'.
- Since having Paul and Storm on the show, there have been multiple cases of their "x is the name of my y cover band" meme
- Chris' nickname, "Big C".
- Chris and Jonah staging impromptu interventions for Matt.
- NOODLE STORIES!
- Pussy-talking Jonah
- Bruce Gutter
- Special Guest: Most live episodes feature one.
- Take That!: Mostly to network executives, rednecks and hipsters.
"Enjoy your burrito!"