This is a Stock Phrase
used either to imply that something being observed is an example of X, or just to make a pun about it
, or anywhere in between.
- Independence Day. After knocking an alien unconscious with one blow:
- Mulan. After burning Shan-Yu's hawk:
Mushu: Now that's what I call Mongolian barbecue.
- Saved!. Patrick is wearing a loincloth, portraying a crucified Jesus in a play.
Cassandra: Now that's what I call being hung on a cross.
- The Man with the Golden Gun.
'Scaramanga: [Destroys Bond's sea plane with a solar-powered weapon] Now that's what I call solar power.
- Back to School. After snorkeling in a hot tub with four bikini-clad co-eds:
Thornton Melon: Now that's what I call marine biology!
- The Care Bears Movie
Grumpy Bear: This little star got itself stuck in the gears.
Share Bear: Now, that's what I call star-stuck, Grumpy Bear.
- In Frozen, ice harvetser Kristoff is completely awestruck when he sees Elsa's Ice Palace:
Kristoff: Now that's ice...
- Invoked in Going Postal. After defeating a banshee by throwing him in the sorting engine, Moist reflects that at this point a hero would say "That's what I call sorted!" Not being a hero, he just throws up.
- In Making Money, when Adora Belle opens Sir Joshua Lavish's private cabinet, this is how she reacts:
Adora Belle: You did say he entertained young ladies up here, right?
Moist: With astonishing regularity for his age, yes.
Adora Belle: Well, that's what I call entertainment.
- Bones episode "The Beaver in the Otter": After a stolen school mascot suit is abused by a rival school's team, a dead body falls out of it. While the body is being examined:
Angela Montenegro:' He was shot by a blunderbuss, pelted by an angry mob, and then burned.
Saroyan: Now that's what I call team spirit. [They look at her strangely] I'm a wisecracking pathologist with a dark sense of humor.
- Mash episode "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen". The Korean War is about to end.
Radio broadcaster: If you add it all up, it comes to more than two million people killed or wounded.
Hawkeye: [Being ironic] Now that's what I call a grand total.
- The Incredible Hulk episode "Like a Brother"
D.J.: [refering to the Hulk] Man, now that's what I call a colored man!
- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. episode "Deep in the Heart of Dixie". Lord Bowler is dressed up like a nun to hide from outlaws.
Brisco County Jr.: Now that's what I call a real bad habit.
- F Troop episode "V Is for Vampire"
Chief Wild Eagle: [Upon seeing Count Sforza for the first time] Now that's what I call a paleface!