Western Animation: Kaeloo
Kaeloo is a French CGI cartoon written by Rémi Chapotot and Jean-François Henry and produced by Cube Creative. The show follows the adventure of a group of Funny Animals living in Smileyland as they play various games, like trap-trap, prison ball or courtroom drama. While the premise may sound childish, the games usually end up being taken so seriously by the characters that injuries, huge explosions, and all sorts of weird, crazy, and sometimes not very kid friendly stuff end up happening quite often.The cast is made up of :
- Kaeloo, a frog who's basically the Nice Girl (or guy ?) of the show. She always tries to make everyone happy and is often the one to suggest they play games. While usually a gentle and loving character, she transforms into a huge buffed toad when she is angered.
- Stumpy, a squirrel who loves videogames and comics, and acts as the resident Cloud Cuckoo Lander. He is completely nuts, and often gets erratic spasms out of nowhere. He's immature, not very bright, and generally comes up with the craziest ideas or reasonings.
- Quack-Quack, a duck covered in stitches and obsessed with yogurts. He never talks, the only word he ever says being "quack", though everyone seems to understand what he means by that... or sometimes they don't. The stitches all over his body are explained by the fact that he is actually invulnerable, and thus able to survive any injury.
- Mr. Cat, a cat that's the resident jerk of Smileyland. He's an Ax-Crazy Sadist whose favourite hobby is to harm and injure Quack-Quack in any and every way possible. Aside from this, he mostly aspires to some tranquility, and is generally reluctant to being part of the other characters games. Well, except when he can use those to gain power, get rich, or injure Quack-Quack.
- Olaf, a penguin with a Russian accent. He is married to a snow cube named Olga, and has a robotic penguin-shaped fridge named Serguei to do his bidding. He has an evil and dominating personality, and woul love to cover the world in ice in order to rule over it.
- Pretty and Eugly, two rabbit sisters, the first one being an Alpha Bitch, and the other a Bruiser with a Soft Center. Pretty actually has a crush on Mr. Cat, but the feeling is far from being mutual.
- Animals Not to Scale: The frog is about a head taller than Stumpy the squirrel and slightly taller than Mr. Cat. Quack-Quack, who is a duckling, is in in turn half a head taller than Kaeloo. In the Making Of video, it's shown that Mr. Cat and Stumpy are actually reasonably sized for a domestic cat and a squirrel. To make things weirder, Kaeloo is often described as being little.
- Animal Stereotypes: Mr. Cat is Smileyland's resident jerk, Stumpy the squirrel is hyperactive and a bit dim and Kaeloo the frog seems to be in constant bliss and is smotheringly "friendly". Subverted with Quack-Quack and Bad Kaeloo as Quack-Quack is a diaper-wearing genius incapable of speech and Bad Kaeloo is a monstrous she-toad with little obvious intelligence and a horrific mean streak.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Has its own page.
- Hulking Out: The title character goes through this Once an Episode.
- Involuntary Shapeshifter: Mr. Cat is one of these, his transformations into random objects usually brought upon by Kaeloo beating the stuffing out of him.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: It is never quite clear whether the events in some of the games they play actually happen or take place only in their imagination. For instance, one episode where they play at being in an airliner makes it repeatedly clear that they are only sitting in chairs on the ground, even when they are supposed to be crashing, yet they flow around when the plane takes off and Mister Cat later jumps with a parachute and falls for some time before hitting the ground.
- Medium Awareness: The characters are aware that they are in a cartoon, and occasionally reference it, for instance saying they don't like the current episode. In one case, Kaeloo asks the director to replay a scene backward.
- Negative Continuity: Several charactersnote have been decapitated, blown up, launched into orbit, driven to madness, turned into zombies, trapped in alternate dimensions or different time periods... Heck, the world even blew up once! Yet everything is always back to normal in the next episode.
- Portal Door: There are literally doors to other dimensions.
- Protagonist Title: Named after Kaeloo, the protagonist.