Series / Keeping Up With The Kardashians
Keeping Up with the Kardashians
is an American reality show that has been airing on E! since October 14, 2007. The series stars the Kardashian/Jenner family: Kim
, Kourtney, Khloe
and Rob Kardashian
, their mother Kris Jenner
, their half-siblings, Kendall and Kylie Jenner,
and their step-mother Caitlyn Jenner, known as Bruce for the majority of the series and its spin-offs.note
If you haven't seen the show, you might have at least heard about it. It's the show starring people who are "famous for being famous" (except for Caitlyn Jenner, being a former Olympian.) There's actually a little more to the show than that.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Rob casually tells his family the morning before their celebrity wrestling matches.
- Ambiguously Gay: In the context of the show, and in media, no one is sure if Kim's friend, Jonathan Cheban, is gay or not. There was even an episode dedicated to the stars being confused about it.
- Attention Whore: Kris Jenner, and her family is not oblivious about it. She once wanted to change her name back to Kardashian to capitalize on the Kardashian brand, even though it clearly hurt her husband. Kris also had tons of Jennerís Olympic memorabilia decorating her office when she was famous, but now has her daughters everywhere. It takes a long calling-out on her selfishness by Khloe for her to realize how negative her behavior was. Kim also shows some of her mother's attention-seeking.
- Breakout Character:
- The younger sisters (Kylie and Kendall) are gaining a fanbase and hosted the MMVA's - despite being 16 and 18 respectively. At this point, Kendall is second only to Kim in fame.
- Since coming out as transgender, Caitlyn Jenner is now considered the most recognized transgender celebrity in the world.
- Brick Joke: And on Twitter, Kim delivers the same line back to her sister when Kourtney has a similar problem.
- Closer to Earth: Inverted with Kris and her spouse; their relationship is comparable to Hank and Peggy Hill, where the wife's ego holds back her senses.
- Deadpan Snarker: Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian are the most prominent. Kourtney Kardashian and Caitlyn (Bruce) Jenner to a lesser extent. Pretty much everyone has snarked at one point or another.
- The Ghost: Although Kim's baby girl is mentioned, she never appears on the show, as Kanye West wouldn't allow it.
- Glory Days: Caitlyn (Bruce) shows signs over not being as famous as she once was. The fact that her wife latched onto the fame of her daughters is just rubbing salt in her wounds.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: There's Kim, Khloe, and Kourtney. They have a brother named Rob, two half-sisters named Kendall and Kylie. The number caps off at ten if you add in Caitlyn (Bruce)ís other kids from previous marriages, Burt, Brody, Sam, and Casey.
- No Sympathy: Kim's given no sympathy from Kourtney when she loses her (insanely expensive) earring in the ocean and bursts into tears, giving her the now-famous line, "Kim, there's people that are dying."
- Narcissist: Kim and Kris are the most prominent. Notably, Kim was chastised by her mother for taking selfies while her sister was going to jail.
- Quirky Household: Kris can be a bit of an egotist, Kim's misadventures and sex tape are infamous, Rob has no problem mentioning his masturbation in front of his family, and the family is still very close-knit.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Khloe points out her mom's ego and fame-seeking attitude, and how she's practically casting her spouse away to latch onto her daughters. Kris is moved to tears.
- Spin-Off: Kourtney and Khloé Take Miami, Kourtney and Kim Take New York, Khloé & Lamar, and I Am Cait.
- Theme Naming: All of the Kardashian kids, sans Rob, have names that start with K (to match their mom.)
- Fridge Logic: Rob is named after his dad (Robert Kardashian Sr. - yes, the one involved in the O.J. Simpson trial).
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kylie pole-dancing in the pilot episode. At age eleven.