"I'm not here to speculate why California Raisins: the Grape Escape was never released. I'm here to give you the investigative reporting you've come to expect from articles like 'Panda Bears Fucking' and 'Suck This, UNICEF.'"What happens when you mix a fratboy with a nerd.Sean Riley, better known as Seanbaby, is a Caustic Critic who writes for Cracked.com and still works for Electronic Gaming Monthly. He is famous for his Web site, seanbaby.com, mostly for his old video game reviews, making fun of the old Super Friends cartoon series, his collection of the Hostess Cupcake/Twinkies ad comics and MSTing all of it. He was also a writer on The Adventures Of Chico And Guapo and wrote the dialogue for the UFC Undisputed video games (earning him a Guinness World Record; see Overly Narrow Superlative) and WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2011. He also designed Calculords, a math-based scifi strategy game for the iPhone and later Android.
Seanbaby provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative
- Occasionally averted. For instance, there's his list of irreplaceable comedy performances, designed as a tribute to Leslie Nielsen and actually praising the people listed.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Popsicle Pete as an Eldritch Abomination.
Crispin Boyer: Seanbaby, I'm pretty sure Phil Collins is straight.Seanbaby: Then why does he always, at every time, have forty to fifty dicks in his mouth?Crispin: You don't know the context.
- None of you are safe!
- And some obscure comic book character who traipsed around punching everybody without provocation - reborn as The Punchmaster!
- Nobody questions the Punchmaster! *PUNCH!*
- According to him, Green Lantern uses his powers for much less heroic purposes.
- If you ever see cops in a comic book, chances are one of them will be Dick Whiskey: Drunk Cop, accompanied by his equally drunk partner O'Malley.
- He's insisted, across multiple media, that Phil Collins is gay:
- Smokey the Bear as a harbinger of destruction.
- Anime Hair: He has a very special hairstyle.
- Arcadia: He was raised on a farm, and he goes out of his way in a Cracked article to dispel the illusion that country life is nothing but fresh air, cute animals and friendly, simple folks. It's actually full of mean, stupid animals that defecate on everything and paranoid, gun-wielding psychopaths.
- Badass Biker: In its heyday, the network G4 had a panda mascot named Po-ken. One of the promos had Seanbaby playing "Biker Billy", a boss from Po-ken's (fictional) game, beating up Po-ken in a forest.
- Badass Boast: He's the man who invented being funny on the Internet.
- Berserk Button: He seems to be Driven to Madness by the "romantic" advice laid out in books written by one Gregory J.P. Godek.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: In EGM's 200th issue, Seanbaby wrote an article that made fun of the seven worst EGM reviews written for games that earned an average score of seven out of ten.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Broke the Rating Scale: He often invents rating systems for his Cracked articles to explain certain aspects of the works he's dealing with. This dates back to EGM, where he refused to rate a certain game with a number and instead gave it a troll riding a hot dog.
Compared to The Cat in the Hat, I give this game seventy Fanastitrophies for Excellence out of a possible none. Do the math on that - it defies the laws of trophy, and yet here we live in the twisted bizarro universe where it happened. The fact that it simply is not The Cat in the Hat makes it a tie with all the other games that are also not The Cat in the Hat for my favorite ever.
- Invoked in the review of "Spy Muppets" for the Gameboy Advance, the next game reviewed after "The Cat In the Hat" for the same system:
- Call Back: It's common for him to reference some of his old jokes, and many of them are so subtle that only his most dedicated readers will catch them. For example, one of Dick Whiskey's cop buddies is a guy named Fisketti, who first appeared in Seanbaby's article about the Rainbow Raider. The phrase "A real hot dog" is first noted by Seanbaby in his review for "Mr. T's Be Somebody Or Be Somebody's Fool", and shows up again in a Kick-To-The-Groin comic he made for one Probe article about videogame violence.
- Caustic Critic: One of the original online game critics.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Genius Bruiser: Trains in muay thai and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood:Seanbaby: I learned how to throw a tomahawk before I learned how to throw a football, which was ridiculous since if we were involved in a ranged altercation, there weren't enough people in the state of Oregon to soak up my family's ammunition supply. My folks used to turn off the electricity on weekends to prepare us for a life of self-sustained everything. I had so many knives and spears stashed in tree forts that my version of Home Alone would have been rated NC-17, and my parents thought that was rad. I should have made it clear earlier that when I said, "In the country, all your neighbors are insane," I was mostly talking to the people living next to me.
- Male Gaze: In one EGM article where he and his girlfriend tried to find the worst products showcased at E3, one involved her wearing a VR headset that blocked her view of the outside world completely. Naturally, this gave Seanbaby an opportunity to take a picture of him staring down her shirt (she was cosplaying as Christie from "Tekken") without her noticing.
- Mistaken for Gay: Must have been the leather pants and fancy haircut.
- Monster Clown: All clowns are The Minotaur. All clowns are The Minotaur. There is no escape. It will never be your birthday again.
- Noodle Implements: He likes to talk about these. One in particular involved a sexual position that needed lube that glowed in the dark and kills sharks.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: His description of a screencap for the Home Improvement SNES game:This is a screenshot of a man with a grappling hook fighting a dinosaur. I swear to God this is based on the family show with the same name.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Seanbaby holds a legitimate Guinness World Record for his script work on UFC Undisputed 2009; the record of note is "Most Commentary Recorded For A Fighting Game".
- Rated M for Manly: Seanbaby likes to play this straight and lampshade it at the same time.
- Red Baron: "The Man who Invented Being Funny on The Internet." Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Not Seanbaby himself, but some interesting characters have come out of the woodwork after finding Seanbaby's articles:
- Mike Arkin, who worked on the NES Total Recall (1990) game. Threatened to sue and/or shoot Seanbaby over his review of the game.
- Mark Discordia, who wrote to Nintendo Power during the 90s at the age of 32. After Seanbaby mocked the letter, someone claiming to be Mark had several exchanges with Sean, during which "Mark" made escalating boasts of his sex life, salary, and drug use.
- The whole point of 8 Douchebags Who Found This Article By Googling Themselves.
- Uwe Boll, who challenged Sean to a boxing match after Sean wrote a scathing review of one of his movies. After it was revealed to Boll that Sean practices muay thai and was a full head taller than him (whereas the previous reviewers Boll had faced were thin, gangly, and rather short), Boll promptly backed down.
- Talks Like a Simile: A large part of his writing style. The analogies in question are rather... colorful.
- The Rival: He's developed a red-hot hatred toward Gregory J.P. Godek, an author who has written several books that are lists of romantic things to do with your lover (Example, 10,000 Ways to Say I Love You.) He has spent several articles completely eviscerating his books.
- Wall of Text: His style of humor can get pretty wordy- he often constructs complex scenarios to set up a punchline. One of his EGM editors once complained to him that his writing was like a house of cards, where removing one sentence makes the whole article fall apart.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or red hair, or red AND blue hair. As long as it's spiked, it's all good.
- And for his spectacular homemade 4th of July fireworks articles? Ayup: Red, white and blue hair!