Kristoffer: ...And know this, as the swallow twittered beneath the eaves, this is not adieu, but au revoir!
Finur: Thanks for your words. May they be your last. Thanks for sentimentality so nauseating that no living creature could possibly take it seriously.
Most people dislike Glurge
as overly trite and sentimental garbage incapable of truly plucking at the heart strings. Most
people— meaning there are exceptions.
Let's have one of those exceptions in the cast! This guy or gal loves to collect motivational posters
of kittens, cries over every sad story spam email, and adores anything and everything cutesy. They will probably gush over the nearest glurge positive item or animal nearby, and will baby talk to it
. A few Glurge Addicts who are aware of their condition will actively hide their hobby from friends and family out of embarrassment.
Glurge Addicts are surprisingly positive people (even if they happen to be Smug Snake
villains), even if they aren't nice they're always smiling
and encouraging others to do the same. This incessant optimism is sure to quickly get on other people's nerves. If it's a strong enough addiction, it also serves as a possible Flaw Exploitation
for these characters in the form of a Kitsch Collection
that can be broken
or added to as a threat or bribe, respectively.
If two Glurge Addicts start dating, the result is Sickeningly Sweethearts
. If they have kids, and the kids start a wiki, they name it Sugar Wiki
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ryuuguu Rena in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a subversion. She does like cute things... but she is also a Nightmare Fetishist so her definition of cute does not always conform to the norm. Also, this trait is part of her Obfuscating Stupidity that she makes up to convince herself she is happy.
- Ouran High School Host Club's Suou Tamaki fits this pretty well. He's easily moved to tears by heartfelt or tragic stories, or just by looking at Haruhi whom he fawns and gushes over pretty much every chance he gets. She finds his fawning quite annoying, though. Despite Tamaki's sad past he's very optimistic and urges those around him to see the glass half full, rather than half empty.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Alex Louis Armstrong has all the the hallmarks of one, including the Manly Tears
- Parodied by none other then Kumagawa in Medaka Box, crying tears of joy that someone is reforming him and setting him on the right path when really he's beaten to death lying in a pool of his own blood then thanking his friends for saving him when they just broke his arms. He's always smiling. Note this is not his real personality and it is post Heel-Face Turn.
- The Boss Of It All. Ravn in the opening quote had the Glurge precipitate a nervous breakdown because was going to cheat his employees out of money and a job by selling to Finur.
- Little Shop of Horrors has Audrey. She has a stuffed puppy on her bed, and other cute decorations around her room.
- Mega Records CEO Fiona from the Josie and the Pussycats movie.
- Misery has Annie Wilkes. She is a Liberace loving, ceramic penguin owning, romance novel addict who doesn't like it when people swear. She's also keeping her favorite author hostage and does such thing as shatter his ankles so he can't escape.
- DodgeBall: Kate, the serious lawyer-type, has a rather large collection of unicorn tchotchkes.
- Selina Kyle starts out as one of these in Batman Returns.
- Harry Potter: Smug Snake Dolores Umbridge is a villainous variant. She wears only pink, has an office full of kitten plates, and seems to want to shelter children from frightening things. She's also a Sadist Teacher and part of an ill-advised government coverup. Glurge addicts don't have to be good.
Live Action TV
- Shirley from Community loves all things sugary-sweet, so much so that her stated reason she's at Greendale is to start a dessert bakery. She also has rage issues and loves to gossip.
- JD from Scrubs. When he becomes a teacher, his favourite pupil Lucy Bennett takes over the role of 'wipes away a tear while applauding the saccharine speech' girl.
- Synclaire from Living Single. She's generally extremely optimistic, emotional, and sunny (as well as sensitive and a bit immature), to the point where her friends are surprised to hear her say "I'm mad as H!" She particularly loves Troll dolls, and owns a gigantic Troll doll named "Crispus Attucks" that her friends find particularly unnerving.
- Her boyfriend/eventual husband, Overton, has these moments as well - usually when he's in close proximity to Synclaire.
- Jess in New Girl.
- Joyce from Roomies! is possibly the only being in the Galaxy who does not see an endless loop of The Sound of Music as torture.
- Piffany in Nodwick is a bit of a glurge addict. She has a mock beanie baby collection, never swears (instead saying things that would make Curse of the Ancients laugh) and is always upbeat.
- Mrs. Merriweather, of Angel Moxie. Also a Misplaced Kindergarten Teacher... and an evil demon. The addiction to Glurge is still an honest one though!
- In Starslip, Vanderbeam's discovery that his crush Jovia had a "Hang in there" kitten poster led him careening down a path of desperate speculation as he tried to figure out if she was genuinely one of these, or if she had some ironic, intellectual interest in it. Her explanation that she just thought it was cute and felt she should be allowed to turn off her brain now and again didn't satisfy him.
- Michael Jackson appears to have been one, to the point that his Neverland Ranch was drenched in sugary sweetness. The paintings his friend David Nordahl created for him are good examples.
- Jack Chick, the author of Chick Tracts.
- Mariah Carey has named the majority of her albums are very positive and cutesy things, like Rainbow, Butterfly, Charmbracelet, and Glitter. She also refers to her fans as "little lambs" and seems to have a definite love of all things sweet and cute.