Mariah Carey (born March 27,1970) is a singer/songwriter who debuted in 1990 and won the Grammy for Best New Artist that year. She is famous for her wide vocal range and hitting almost inhumanly-high notes in her songs. Initially, she sang ballads and was a rival for Whitney Houston
, but after divorcing Tommy Mottola, she began collaborating with rappers, evolving into a more R&B sound.
In 2000, Billboard
named her the best selling solo artist of the 90's while the World Music Awards named her the best selling female artist of the millennium.
In 2001, she had some sort of breakdown after her movie and album of the same name, Glitter
, flopped and she took her clothes off on TRL
. She was hospitalized for exhaustion and many thought her career to be over, but in 2005 she returned with The Emancipation of Mimi
and has been on top of the charts ever since.
Many publications proclaim her as the best selling female artist of all time, with worldwide record sales of over 200 million.
After feuding with Eminem
over whether they were ever together or not, she settled down and got married to Nick Cannon
As of 2012, She currently resides as a judge on American Idol
while recording new music.
See also Quantum Mariah Carey Problem
Discography (Studio Albums)Selected Filmography
- 2001: Glitter — Billie Frank
- 2008: Tennessee — Krystal
- 2009: Precious — Mrs. Weiss
This musician shows examples of:
- Affair Hair: Jay-Z raps about this in Heartbreaker.
- Alter Ego Acting: Bianca in the Heartbreaker video.
- Animal Motif: She loves to incorporate butterflies in her photoshoots.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Dear god....
- E = MC Hammer: One of her albums was titled E=MC squared.
- Follow the Leader: Talent Show contestants as we know them today wouldn't have existed without her, Whitney Houston or Celine Dion.
- Glurge Addict: Listen to her album names: "Charmbracelet," "Glitter," "Butterfly," "Rainbow"...
- Hot Mom: Has fraternal twins.
- Incredibly Long Note: All the time.
- Intercourse with You: Touch My Body
- Melismatic Vocals: Possibly the Queen of this trope who spawned countless imitators...most of them a lot less skilled. Paula Abdul even said that a surefire way of getting kicked off American Idol is to do a Mariah Carey song, since it always involves Hopeless Auditionees screeching their lungs out thinking it'll impress the judges.
- Ms. Fanservice: After her divorce.
- New Sound Album: Butterfly.
- Actually, all, if not most of her albums, count as this. Sometimes they go back to the previous genre she's already covered, but, surprisingly, she has fresh(ish) material/overall genres with each album release.
- Playing Against Type: Her dressed down in Precious.
- The Rival:
- Subverted. Her most famous "rivalry" was with Whitney Houston, but this was created entirely by media hype and the two singers never had any particular beef with each other, even dueting in the song "When You Believe" on The Prince Of Egypt's soundtrack.
- It's played straight with Madonna, however. They've had bad blood for almost twenty years.
- Her rivalry with Jennifer Lopez stems from an alleged stealing of a sample that Carey was going to use but that Lopez had used for her song, "I'm Real". Carey also said that it was part of her ex-husband Tommy Mottola's doing, since he was the head of Lopez's record label at the time.
- Her current feud is with rap diva Nicki Minaj. The two did collabo together back in late 2009 for a track on Mariah's then album Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel called "Up Out My Face". However, the friendship was over a few years later when it was announced that Minaj would be joining Carey on the judging panel of American Idol, much to the dismay of Carey. Reports were released right away of tension on the set of "Idol" between Carey and Minaj and the two feuding. Then came an infamous video from TMZ.com that recorded the two lashing out at each other on the set. Since then, the two have decided to stay neutral while shooting the show, for the most part.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Her speaking voice is deep and gravelly, but her singing voice is very high-pitched.
- Take That: "Clown" off the Charmbracelet album and "Obssessed" off Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel album are both targeted at Eminem, who previously had Take That songs about her.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Most of her post Daydream videos.