Walking Swimsuit Scene
"The Cederville Warriors cheerleading squad was hosting its annual car wash on the far edge of the parking lot. All the girls were in tiny shorts and bikini tops. Someone's car stereo was playing some terrible Top 40 bubblegum crap. The girls were using the hose on each other, almost completely ignoring the gold Suburban they were supposed to be watching."For some reason, some characters seem to walk around in a swimsuit, which may be justified because they work at a swimming pool or beach, or some other aquatic environment. They don't have to wear only a swimsuit; they can still wear other clothing as long as we see that there is a swimsuit underneath. For example, Misty of Pokemon Gold And Silver wears a jacket and sandals, but we can see that she's wearing a swimsuit underneath. This trope is more often used by females, while males may have the Walking Shirtless Scene trope more, but neither one is gender specific. Compare Leotard of Power, Walking Shirtless Scene, Underwear of Power.
— Nick Burd, The Vast Fields of Ordinary
open/close all folders
- One of Air New Zealand Safety Videos demonstrates aircraft safety with Sports Illustrated's swimsuit models.
- This Tab Cola commercial from 1982.
- Sea and Ski Suntan commercial.
- Promo for The Young and the Restless.
- Mandalay Bay commercial.
- This commercial for the Koolanoo Jewish social networking site.
- In this Sunset Limousine commercial Colorado Crush cheerleaders are wearing bikinis while washing a limo.
- In this Revlon commercial, Cindy Crawford wears a denim cutoffs and a bikini top while playing in a shirts and skins basketball game.
- This Coca-Cola commercial.
Anime & Manga
- Yukimura Sanada from Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls wears a White School Swimsuit under her clothes. It's MUCH more apparent on her Master Samurai form.
- One Piece: Franky is a male example. Being a cyborg, it doesn't matter if he's Exposed to the Elements. His friend Kiwi of the Square Sisters does the same as well.
- Post-time skip, Nami runs around in nothing but a bikini top and low-rider jeans.
- Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho revolves around the wacky antics of a swimming club, so the cast is wearing School Swimsuits most of the time. Amuro even wears a swimsuit under her school uniform so she can take a swim at any time — when she's wearing anything at all, that is.
- Sayaka Yumi spends her day in Mazinkaiser's 4th OVA in a swimsuit not only on the beach, but an enemy's base because she's, well, kidnapped.
- Maken-ki!: Justified twice, in chapters 4 and 10 respectively:
- The first time was during Maken-ki's trip to the hot springs, when the girls stepped out in their bikinis. Which caused Takeru and Usui to get boners.
- Also seen when the teams were assembling to begin the 'guys vs. girls' water polo match, in which, Aki, Akaya, and Minori arrived together, along with Celia.
- Fairy Tail: Cana is usually in a bikini with pants and an occasional jacket.
- Strike Witches has Yoshika, Mio, and Junko, all of whom wear School Swimsuits underneath their uniform tops. And no pants.
- Medaka Box has Kikaijima Mogana, which makes sense because she's on the swim team. However, it's more of a security issue than it is one of practicality.
- As a member of the Swimming Club, Shirley from Code Geass gets a few of these in her School Swimsuit.
- In the God Eater Burst spinoff manga The Summer Wars, Alisa is tricked into wearing a bikini on a mission by another God Eater, Gina Dickinson. She's rather annoyed when she finds out (mostly because she felt embarrassed about baring so much in front of Yuu, despite her normal Stripperiffic outfit...).
- Shura from Blue Exorcist is always wearing a bikini top and short shorts.
- OK, it's not a swimsuit in the traditional sense, but Wonder Woman has to count. And Wonder Woman's swimsuit showed much less flesh than her normal costume.
- Tigra of The Avengers is a Cat Girl (though of the "covered in fur" type, not the "human with cat ears and tail" type) superheroine whose "costume" is a black bikini, sometimes with toothlike trim or a tiger-head amulet as a clasp in front.
- Namor wears a black bodysuit on the rare occasion when he feels an ounce of humility, but he's mostly known for going around in nothing but a green speedo. Somewhat justified by the fact that he spends most of his time underwater, but mitigated by the fact that (1) he wears it on land too, even in frigid climates, and (2) the vast majority of his fellow Atlanteans cover up quite a bit more.
- Namor's two distaff counterparts, Namora and Namorita, fight crime in a black one-piece and a green one-piece or bikini, respectively. When Namorita changed her name to Kymera (and her skin to blue) she adopted an odd bikini/netting/seashell ensemble◊.
Films — Live-Action
- Many Fanservice Extras in the James Bond films. (Commonly included in any list of "Bond Girls", but Bond Girl refers to characters with actual personalities and prominent role in the movie.)
- In Local Hero, Marina, a marine biologist, wears a black one-piece under her lab coat at a facility — justified as she has to do some equipment maintenance at the bottom of a large water tank. The visitors are quite distracted .
- Both the male and female cheerleaders wear swimsuits during a car wash fundraiser in the first Bring It On.
- Just Go With It does this with Brooklyn Decker. Watch it here.
- Desire And Hell At Sunset Motel has the incomparable Sherilyn Fenn swimming in and getting in and out of pools in slow motion all over the place. See here.
- Unsurprisingly, there are plenty in Swimming Pool.
- There are couple of them in H.O.T.S. In the first one, The top to Boom Boom Bangs' bikini comes off when she jumps out of a plane to skydive into the H.O.T.S.' pool and gets blown offcourse, landing in the dean's pool instead. In the second scene, the Pi sorority are all sunbathing at their house and 3 of them are topless when Mad Dog and O'Hara fly over the house in a hot air balloon to bombard them with banana cream pies.NSFW
- In The Young Nurses, boat racer Donovan is shot on his boat, falls overboard and he nearly drowns. Nurse Kitty jumps off her boat performs, swims over to his boat and she performs first aid on him. She assists the paramedics and she's still only wearing her bikini when she rides in the ambulance with Donovan When bikini-clad Nurse Kitty arrives in the emergency room, she's chastised by Nurse Dockett (the head nurse) for the way she's dressed:
Nurse Dockett: Nurse, where is your uniform?
Kitty: I'm off duty now.Nurse Dockett: And on display!
- Bridgette is wearing a pair of shorts and a bikini top while washing her sex van in this scene in Hot Times at Montclair High.
- In The Pom Pom Girls, the cheerleaders wear bikinis while they practice their cheers on the beach.
- Easy Money: In this scene, Ginger Jones is sunbathing topless outside Monty Capuletti's house.NSFW
- In National Lampoon's Dirty Movie, Lindsey Vuolo (as herself) strips down to a monokini and tells a dirty joke during her audition.NSFW
- Linda Barrett in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.NSFW
- Every character on Baywatch, ever. Justified for being lifeguards and all.
- Miss America pageants.
- Every lead female character on Saved by the Bell ends up doing one of these at least once.
- Heather Thomas in the first episode of The Fall Guy — and then repeated in the opening credits of every single episode thereafter, for obvious reasons.
- Blue Water High is set in a surf school, so the main cast spends much of the series in swimsuits.
- Lila Archer in the Criminal Minds episode "Somebody's Watching", where she does this twice. The first time it's on the set of her TV series, "Emotional Cages", which is a drama about beach volleyball (the premise being picked obviously as an excuse for Archer to walk around in a bikini, just so Reid knows how attractive is the girl that's interested in him). The second time is when Reid is assigned to defend her at her house, where she decides to make a move on Reid, taking off her robe to go for a swim in a black bikini and pulling Reid into the pool and making out with him.
- Reporter Anna Gilligan throughout this segment on Good Day America.
- Cassidy, Dusty and Mona in the Passion Cove episode "The Bet". In the first scene they're sunbathing topless. In the next scene they put their tops on.NSFW
- Kris Munroe has quite a few of these scenes on Charlies Angels.
- Melrose Place: Alison wears shorts and a bikini top to the pool party in this scene.
- Extra: Reporter Maria Menounos bet fellow reporter AJ Calloway that if the New England Patriots lost Super Bowl XLVI, she would strip down to a bikini in Times Square. The New York Giants won the game 21-17. Maria then pays off her bet.on February 7, 2012.
- Saturday Night Live: Schmitt's Gay Beer.
- In the "Go Fish" episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy. Willow and Cordelia assign themselves to the pool as an excuse to watch the swim team practice. They're pleasantly surprised when they see Xander in a speedo.
- Sydney in the Made For Tv Movie Bare Essentials.
- Buffy (Cheryl Ladd) in the Police Story episode, "Prime Rib".
- Brad and Lauren on The Young and the Restless.
- "Sunshine and Summertime" by Faith Hill has stacked, voluptuous girls in bikinis and big, buff guys in speedos:
You'll see straw sombreros and T-top Camaros
And stereos blastin' in the parking lotYou'll see rock hard bodies and bikini hotties
And everybody's got it goin' on
And showin' what they got
- Nearly all of the women in Future Spa wear skimpy bikinis for their workouts.
- Our Miss Brooks: At least three examples:
- Friday the Thirteenth: a key factor in the plot is a photograph of Miss Brooks by the lake in a French bathing suit.
- Heat Wave has everybody but Miss Brooks and Mr. Conklin scheming to get out of school and pay a trip to the swimming hole. Turns out Harriet Conklin, Walter Denton and Stretch Snodgrass, and even Mr. Boynton have swimming suits under their regular clothes. At the end of episode, it's revealed Miss Brooks is wearing one too.
- In the episode The Dancer, an exotic dancer wanting Mr. Conklin to hire her for his brother-in-law's bachelor party, strips down to a French bathing suit when left alone in his office.
- Felicia from Darkstalkers technically counts as she walks around in naught but a Fur Bikini, and a real one would have covered her more.
- Elena from Street Fighter III is clad in a bikini. Also from that very same game, Gill, who's practically clad in only a speedo.
- Misty from Pokémon Red, Blue, Gold, and Silver and their remakes. An odd case, since she just wore swimsuits prior to the Timeskip. Possibly because an eleven-year-old walking around in a swimsuit is more innocent than a teenager doing so.
- Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- Marlon is a male example who is also Mr. Fanservice.
- The player characters are visibly wearing swimsuits under their clothes. Nate is wearing a wetsuit, and Rosa is wearing wetsuit bottoms with a halter-style bikini top.
- Arcana Heart
- Kira Daidouji, because she fights waist-deep in a blob of water.
- Her rival, Catherine Kyohbashi for no reason whatsoever.
- Rikku from Final Fantasy X-2 wears a bikini with a miniskirt and a scarf over it as her default outfit.
- A Non-Fanservice one: In My Sims Agents, Clara Belle, Taylor, Summer and Luke wear some Beach-Wear (though Summer is a lifeguard).
- Justified with Trauare Wrede in the first game where, due to her status as the game's Water-element boss, she wears an open jacket over her swimsuit, and, well... not much else. It's as hot as it sounds.
- Other than for her Meaningful Name maybe, it's not at all justified with Luste Teuber, who also wears a Stripperific ensemble, which consists of a black bikini, Opera Gloves and thighhigh socks.
- Rumble Roses the girls have scenes of them in swimsuits, and they also wrestle in them in mud wrestling.
- During their car wash fundraisers, many high school and college cheerleaders often wear either bikinis or shorts and bikini tops.
- The Miami Floridians of the American Basketball Association had "ballgirls," sort of combination ballboys and cheerleaders, who wore bikinis to all the games. The team even brought them to some away games (despite many ABA teams' tendency to only bring ten players to away games, instead of their full roster of twelve, to save money on travel expenses).
- Every summer, Hooters restaurants hold charity car washes with the Hooter girls washing cars in bikinis.
- When they compete in wet t-shirt contests, the girls often wear bikini bottoms.NSFW
- These dancing Vietnamese flight attendants.