And it was pretty much the best underwater kiss of all time.
There's something about a kiss underwater
that's more romantic or emotional than a regular kiss. Regardless of how it occurs, the added dramatic effect is often used to give an extra push to the scene. Even if the kiss is only for practical reasons, it's still a Ship Tease
moment. There are two types, which may overlap or lead into each other:
, where the kiss is simply a kiss. Additionally, it can be related to Super Not-Drowning Skills
, if it happens to be a very long kiss. This can
be done in Real Life
of course, but your mileage may vary on how romantic it is in practice.
Breath of Air
, where the kiss is used to transfer oxygen, sometimes between two guys
. It can overlap with Kiss of Life
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- There's an underwater kissing scene in Macross Frontier. Although it's a scene in a movie shoot. Alto and Ranka are very flustered by having to perform it and Ozma outright called the movie "tasteless".
- That underwater kiss was actually them filming The Movie of the events of Macross Zero, complete with an almost frame-by-frame recreation of the scene in question. Speaking of which, that scene was actually the practical version of this trope. Having the movie version be romantic makes sense as it is apparently based off of Mao's diary, who, since she had a crush on said guy she gave the breath version to, would colour it in that regard.
- An episode of the anime that Lt. Clouseaux was watching in the Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid OVA featured this... until Kurz got a hold of them and replaced them with footage of two pigs kissing. Clouseaux was NOT amused.
- Nagisa and Shizuma do this in Strawberry Panic! (see picture).
- Hagino and Mari do one in the Blue Drop anime. Not that we see it...
- Clark Kent and Lori Lemaris had kissed a few times underwater. Clark can't drown and Lori's a mermaid so it makes sense.
- In W.I.T.C.H., Cornelia and Peter share an underwater kiss after he saved her from being pulled under.
- The front cover of World Of Archie Double Digest issue 18 has one of Archie and Betty doing this with Veronica seeing with shock.
- There was a 90's European commercial for Levis, where mermaids capture a guy and kiss him underwater. The punchline being they can't get his Levis off because of the double-stitching, so they let him go.
- The one most of us have seen most often is surely the one from the opening titles of Hart to Hart, right? "When they met, it was MOYDER!"
- There's one at the end of the music video for the Katy Perry song "Teenage Dream".
- In the music video for "For You I Will (Confidence)", Teddy Geiger shares this with Kristen Cavallari at a pool party he is playing at...while she is in her undergarments, no less.
- The music video for AFI's "Love Like Winter" ends with something extremely similar, albeit in a "Let's drown together" sort of way.
- There is also an underwater kiss at the end of the music video of "This Kiss" by Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Two kids share one in the music video of "Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey.
- Lampshaded in For Better or for Worse. One of the teenagers tried making out with their significant other in a swimming pool but ended up choking as they inevitably took in mouthfuls of water. They came up for air and noted that it's not nearly as romantic in Real Life.
- The first God of War has Kratos doing this with some sea nymphs during an underwater segment.
- Final Fantasy X has a major one. Yuna and Tidus' first kiss begins with them standing up to their chests in a lake, and then they tip over and go swimming...while making out.
- In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, if you take Sakura with you to the pool, you get a CG of this.
- The kiss between the girl and the blue boy in But That Was Yesterday.
Breath of Air
Anime and Manga
- Star Wars: Kit Fisto breathes◊ for Aayla Secura this way.
- During the aftermath of "World War Hulk", Hercules had to hold up a part of Manhattan while underwater. Namora breathes for him this way, although Herc later admitted that he could hold his breath for the entire duration.
- There was this infamous Ho Yay case with Iron Man and Captain America when both Captain America is unconscious from poison gas and needs oxygen. Iron Man helps◊ him◊ get it◊, even at the risk of breathing in the gas himself.
- Ethan and Ashleigh's first kiss in Scion was this type.
- In the World War III arc of Justice League of America, a breach in the watchtower sent Huntress flying into space. Superman rescued her and locked lips with her to keep her from suffocating.
- In the CGI movie Resident Evil: Degeneration with Leon and the other lead girl (not Claire). Leading her last line to Leon along the lines of "lets go scuba diving again".
- In Splash, while trying to start a boat's engine Tom Hanks' character is knocked overboard and falls unconscious underwater. Daryl Hannah's mermaid character swims up and kisses him. On YouTube starting at 1:00.
- In Hook, Peter is rescued from drowning by a trio of sparkly mermaids.
- The Transporter steals the last breath of the Mook who fell into the water with him. Jason Statham got no end of ribbing from the production crew for the Foe Yay.
- Paul Newman did this to Richard Jaekel in the film Sometimes a Great Notion when Jaekel's character is trapped in rising water by a log. Jaekel's character eventually panics and drowns. Unpleasant.
- Lara Croft does this on her rival Alex West in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider after he got shot.
- In the Hellboy Animated movie Sword of Storms, Abe Sapien saves Liz this way after their plane crashes in the ocean. Abe later admits he didn't know if it would work.
- In Cutthroat Island Morgan gives William a kiss whilst he's pinned behind some crates in the flooded hold.
- Jason Bourne attempts to revive Marie this way after their car crashes off a bridge in The Bourne Supremacy. It doesn't work.
- In Flora's Dare, Lord Axacaya pulls this on Flora. The age difference makes it distinctly squicky, especially with some of the other subtext.
- Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast has the mermaid Undine save and kiss the heroine Christine...for Christine to open her eyes to see that they've Body Swapped.
- It's quickly glossed over and Daphne does not seem to remember it, but there's a part in Nation where Mau saves Daphne from drowning using this trope in the process.
- In Heroes, Alex (whose power is breathing underwater) kisses Claire to give her oxygen.
- Xena and Lao Ma, when the former is hiding in the latter's pool.
- Due South: Fraser "buddy breathing" with Ray K in a sinking ship. Given his dumbfounded expression, I'm sure Ray thought the same way.
- The oxygen machines in Mother 3 are just robots... but they resemble mermen with pompadours who "kiss" you to fill up your oxygen. The party characters can be seen blushing after the process finishes.
- Later, in New Pork City, Lucas and friends run into one last oxygen machine (which has been retrofitted to look like a centaur) who offers its services again for old times' sake.
- One of your (female) sidekicks in the Xbox game Galleon (Spiritual Successor to Tomb Raider) does this to replenish your oxygen while swimming.
- Protagonist Naija and her (eventual) boyfriend Li have one when they first meet in Aquaria. Mostly because Naija, being a Fish Girl who has lived underwater for almost her entire life (and is therefore unaware of creatures that can only breathe air), had just pulled off his diving helmet. The kiss permanently grants Li, whose short name complicates spoiler tags the ability to breathe underwater, because Naija is a magic fish girl who can tap into the power of the Verse. Or something. Just roll with it.