And this is crazy
But here's my number
So call me maybe"
- Tug of War (2008)
- Curiosity (EP) (2012)
- Kiss (2012)
Ms. Jepsen and her works provide examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Curiosity".
- All the Good Men Are Gay: The very end of the "Call Me Maybe" video.
- Bare Your Midriff: From time to time. Although apparently she likes smart blouses and trouser suits (judging by Product Placement for Marks & Spencers, aka Marks and Sparks on her social media sites, if this can be considered Word of God.
- Breakup Song: "Sour Candy", "Tonight I'm Getting Over You"
- Christmas Songs: "Mittens", her contribution to her label's Christmas album.
- Costume Porn: Changes her costumes in her Music Video for "This Kiss."
- Cover Version: Of John Denver's "Sunshine On My Shoulders" and Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now", plus her numerous covers on Canadian Idol.
- Dream Team: "Beautiful" features Justin Bieber.
- Don't Explain the Joke: In "Guitar String / Wedding Ring":"If you cut a piece of guitar string
I would wear it like it's a wedding ring
Wrapped around my finger, you know what I mean
(You play my heart string)"
- Female Gaze: The "Call Me Maybe" video idolizes a guy who can't even start a lawn mower, but damn if he doesn't something sentence a shirt off with his muscles.
- Fun Size / Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Carly Rae is rather short at 5'2". Especially prominent when she stands next to tall guys like Flo Rida◊ and Adam Young◊ (aka Owl City), both of whom are over 6 foot tall.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Alice in Wonderland" gets "you taste just like chocolate" past the radar.
- Hidden Depths: She has roadgeek tendencies.
- Hilarity Ensues: Her zany sitcom shenanigans in the "Call Me Maybe" video.
- Hotter and Sexier: She of all people seems to be heading down this path. After the saccharine sweetness of "Tug of War" and especially Ear Worm "Call Me Maybe", she's released "Good Time" with Owl City; she displays Bare Your Midriff and Who Wears Short Shorts? in the video. She also dresses sexy in the video for "This Kiss". There's even a nude photo scandal!
- That said, she's almost 30.
- Ignore the Fanservice: The "Call Me Maybe" video.
- Although she isn't ignoring his fanservice (even if it's not aimed at her).
- Incompatible Orientation: At the end of the video for "Call Me Maybe", it turns out that the dude she's been obsessing over is gay. This is followed by Carly giving an expression of pure, undiluted "WTF". And the guy is interested in the guitarist in Carly's band. It's implied that this too is a case of this.
- Intercourse with You: "Talk To Me" gets really blatant."I can see what 'cha wanna do to me
You can feel it something's gonna break
Well I'm in if you're in
Let's make a big mistake"
- Letting the Air out of the Band: "Call Me Maybe".
- Manly Gay: The guy she likes in the "Call Me Maybe" video.
- The Masochism Tango: "Curiosity".
- The Mentor: Of all people, fellow Canadian pop star Justin Bieber.
- Ms. Fanservice: To an extent (see the "Good Time" video, for example).
- Older Than They Look: She's nearly 30 and loves invoking this.
- Oop North: She is Serious Business there.
- Performance Video: The "Call Me Maybe" video, in part.
- The Rant: She was constantly ranting about... Leeds City Council on her Twitter feed, and then deleting the tweets within the same day. (Let's not say what it was about, though.)
- The Runner Up Takes It All: For a while, Canadian Idol Season 5 winner Brian Melo had the best career of the singers that season, if only because his winner's single hit #11 on the Canadian Hot 100. A few of the winners such as Ryan Malcolm and Kalan Porter had number one hits on the old Canadian charts, but that chart used the outdated method of counting only single sales (for example, Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" remake stayed in the top 20 for over three years!). Four years later, third-placer and then two-hit wonder Jepsen releases the single "Call Me Maybe," which not only became the show's first top 10 hit, but also reached number-one. But that was only just the beginning. Shortly after the song reached the top, Justin Bieber tweeted that he was a fan of the song and made a video of it with his friends. With millions of people hearing about Carly for the first time ever, her song proceeded to top over ten other national charts including the Hot 100 in the United States, and become a full-fledged meme, especially after a Barack Obama-inspired parody was released. "Call Me Maybe" remains the only song by a Canadian Idol contestant to be a major hit outside of Canada; likewise Jepsen is the only act from the show most non-Canadians are familiar with.
- She's Got Legs: Especially prominent in the coverart for Curiosity (and its first single, "Call Me Maybe") and the video for "Good Time"; she is famous for her thighs.
- She has a song called "Alice in Wonderland".
- "Bucket" samples the old children's song "There's A Hole In My Bucket".
- Silly Love Songs: "Alice in Wonderland", "Call Me Maybe", "Guitar Strings", "I Really Like You" and "Picture".
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Again, the "Call Me Maybe" video.
- Stock Rhymes: "Call Me Maybe" rhymes "crazy" and "baby" with "maybe", while "This Kiss" rhymes "this" and "kiss."
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Done in the video for "Good Time", albeit far tamer than most.
- Time Lapse: The video for "Good Time" is literally a day at the beach.
- Troperiffic: "Call Me Maybe" and the accompanying video.
- Twist Ending: When the guy she likes turns out to be homosexual in the "Call Me Maybe" video.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Again, the "Good Time" video and she wears a mini skirt in the "This Kiss" video. See also the entry for Bare Your Midriff.
- Word Salad Lyrics: "Guitar String / Wedding Ring"
- Underwater Kiss: At the end of the music video for "This Kiss".
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Nicki Minaj in the remix of "Tonight I'm Getting Over You".