A heavily under-cranked
shot, usually taking 1 picture per second or less. Popular subjects of time-lapse are clouds, the moon, sunlight shining through a window, or a growing flower.
May be part of a Time Passes Montage
Film - Animated
Film- Live Action
- Big Hero 6 has a time-lapse scene, with Hiro preparing his micro-bot demonstration with the help of Tadashi and his friends, showing several days progress in a matter of seconds.
- The Trope Maker is Star Theatre, aka Demolishing and Building Up the Star Theatre, a 1901 short film in which a camera was positioned across the street from said theater. The camera took one exposure every four minutes, eight hours a day, while the theater was demolished. In the finished film the footage is then reversed, so the theater is demolished, then reassembles itself.
- Used heavily in Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi.
- The Wolfman (2010) uses many time lapses of the sky and moon. Although the majority are used as a part of a Time Passes Montage.
- The entire movie TimeScapes by Tom Lowe. The movie consists of a series of beautifully-constructed timelapse shots set to music.
- Often used on Transformers toy commercials when the actual figures' transformations are being demonstrated.
- A large portion of building projects in Minecraft are posted on YouTube as a time lapse.
- Introduced as a feature in an update for Prison Architect for recording the gradual construction of players' prisons.
- Used in the first cinematic of Hanako's route in Katawa Shoujo.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: "Voices" has a sequence where the Jedi Council spends an entire day and night meditating, and this is shown through an amazing time-lapse sequence where the camera circles around the Jedi Temple, showing the sun rising and setting and the nonstop traffic whizzing by.
- Disneyland used to have a presentation "If Disneyland was Built in a Day" which showed film documenting the original building in Time Lapse.
- Often subverted on the internet as a simple kind of humour: you link to a normal picture and give a description such as "Watch the progress of the Boston underpass construction work", or "Incredible time-lapse of Rob Lowe aging over 20 years!!!"