YMMV: Carly Rae Jepsen
Subjectively, Jepsen's works provide examples of:
- Actually Pretty Catchy: Much of Call Me Maybe's Memetic Mutation stemmed from people in disbelief over how much they don't hate the song as much as they felt they should have.
- Accidental Innuendo: "Curiosity" delivers the line "don't call me up just so I can please you".
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "I'm pregnant." "Oooookay..." "Just kidding."
- Ear Worm:
- "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my number, so" AAARRRGGGHHH GET THE FRICK OUT OF MY HEAD
- "I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE YOU!"
- "Good Time" was intentionally made as such. We don't even have to try~! It's always a good time~!
- The surprise rave chorus in "Tonight I'm Getting Over You".
- Hilarious in Hindsight: "I'll trade my soul for a wish..."
- Memetic Mutation: Lampshaded:
"I donít think Iíve seen all of [the parodies], but Iíve seen enough to be pretty blown away. I saw the Cookie Monster one the other day. Sesame Street, man. It doesnít get any better than that!Ē
- The "I Really Like You" video, in which Tom Hanks lip-syncs the song.
- Older Than They Think: People who only know her from "Call Me Maybe" would be very surprised to learn that her first album (Tug of War) was released in 2008.
- Retroactive Recognition: After the success of "Call Me Maybe", some radio stations chose to ride on her newfound fame by playing "Tug of War". Cue people's jaws dropping when they recognize the song from a few years ago and realize, "Holy shit, that was Carly Rae Jepsen!?".
- Signature Song:
Hey, I just met youAnd this is crazyOF COURSE HER SIGNATURE SONGIs "Call Me Maybe"